• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black History in Comics

28 posts in this topic

1902, from the creator of the Yellow Kid.

PoreLilMose1902.jpg

RufusRastusBrown1906.jpg

1937 -- the first images on covers of modern comics

MoreFun181stoncomiccover1937.jpg

FunnyPictureStories1937.jpg

1939 -- first attempt at a black hero -- wins the girl from the white man and smacks him in the fact on the cover.

BestComics1.jpg

1939 issue #2 -- the hero is still black inside the comic, but has been changed to a white guy on the cover.

BestComics2.jpg

1943 -- comics decide to return to portraying black people stereotypically.

CaptainMarvel231943.jpg

1944 -- hey if we;'re going stereotypical why not go all the way?

CleanFunShoogafootsJones1944.jpg

1947 -- Trying once again to be more positive

AllNegrocfo.jpg

NegroHeroes21947.jpg

Those don't sell, but they try it again in 1950

NegroRomance11950.jpg

Trying to be positive and serious.

MartinLutherKing1957.jpg

Let's try the hero again -- 1965

Lobo11965.jpg

Nice try but doesn't succeed. How about a cool hero with some great backstory, and debut him in a magazine that's already a success?

FantasticFour521stBlackPanther1966.jpg

Finally some more heroes, including some that took hold.

LukeCage11972.jpg

Spawn11992.jpg

and some relevant stories, too.

ColorsinBlack1-4SpikeLee.jpg

You'll also be able to see a lot of these touchstones in a new Special Edition exhibit we're having at Geppi's Entertainment Museum starting this Saturday February 3. It's a selection of comics and collectibles from the collection of Professor William H. Foster III and titled "Finally in Full Color." It runs until March 10 or so.

Robbie Robertson ( he is a hero to Peter ).

The only character I can think of that doesn't work for me in the spider-man films. In the comics Robbie is a quintessential newsman, smart, steady and fit. In the films he is overweight and a little goofy.. .

Robbie Robertson ( he is a hero to Peter ).

The only character I can think of that doesn't work for me in the spider-man films. In the comics Robbie is a quintessential newsman, smart, steady and fit. In the films he is overweight and a little goofy.. .

I like black charaters as long as it was designed that way.

I can't wait until a Luke Cage or Panther movie,

But I can't stand when they throw a character in a movie

that was clearly white for several decades and make him black

for the sake of being PC. i.e. Kingpin in Daredevil and Nick Fury in the Avengers cartoon.

I wonder what the black (comic fan) community would do if they made

Luke Cage white?

tongue.gif

"and make him black

for the sake of being PC. i.e. Kingpin in Daredevil"

honestly, i didn't think it was such a problem in Daredevil. I can't think of too many (any?) white actors (as opposed to wrestlers-turned-actors) who could have pulled off being physicially imposing like that and still done some acting. Not sure how it's PC to take a white bad guy and make him a black bad guy anyway, if anything, it's kindah the opposite.

What's his name in Sgt. Fury was pretty early and in C land, wasn't there a Teen Titan or Legionnaire in the 60s?

Titans had a member named Mal for a heartbeat or two.I don't think he had any powers.

Legion had a member in the early/mid 70s that was pretty much written out quite quickly.

Alan Moore did a character for Ugandan Comics called Power-Man,which was reprinted by Eclipse. This character gained his power by mixing electricity and showering.

Lets not forget that great shoe-shine boy from Joe Simons Green Team.

I can't wait until a Luke Cage or Panther movie,

But I can't stand when they throw a character in a movie

that was clearly white for several decades and make him black

for the sake of being PC. i.e. Kingpin in Daredevil and Nick Fury in the Avengers cartoon.

For me - it never even clicked - what color Kingpin was - never even crossed my mind - and frankly should may no difference - as it may relate to his background or storyline - sure......but his COLOR? WTF? who cares??? confused-smiley-013.gif

You'll also be able to see a lot of these touchstones in a new Special Edition exhibit we're having at Geppi's Entertainment Museum starting this Saturday February 3. It's a selection of comics and collectibles from the collection of Professor William H. Foster III and titled "Finally in Full Color." It runs until March 10 or so.

how is the museum doing?

how is the museum doing?

We're still open. smile.gif

Seriously, we have a lot of exciting things coming up, but I can talk about that somewhere else. This thread is for the topic at hand.