• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Ebay Know Of Comic-Keys Selling Of Restored Books?

28 posts in this topic

If anyone has ever personally complained to E-bay, or knows of someone who has, concerning the perceived or alleged conduct of Comic-Keys to sell restored books as unrestored, please contact me via PM or e-mail to EsquireComics@aol.com.

I need to know the date(s) of the complaint(s), auctions involved and be sent copies of the correspondence if it still exists.

When CBG asked why his mailing address was a home owned by Rosemary Dupcak ' and was associated with vehicles registered in Daniel Dupcak's name ' the auctioner responded angrily. 'Now, all is revealed and made clear. Your connection with Elrod Mah, your being a pawn in his sworn Vendetta (as he puts it) is apparent.'

hi.gif

supa.jpg

fantazia1.jpg

fantazia.jpg

If anyone has ever personally complained to E-bay, or knows of someone who has, concerning the perceived or alleged conduct of Comic-Keys to sell restored books as unrestored, please contact me via PM or e-mail to EsquireComics@aol.com.

I need to know the date(s) of the complaint(s), auctions involved and be sent copies of the correspondence if it still exists.

I'm smelling a class action against eBay! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I remember those ads! I purchased a TTA 57 from him back around 1991-1992 - it was so obviously color touched, that I sent it back for full refund. The entire black line on the spine had been relined in black magic marker, amongst other things. Purely wretched and amateurish work. I guess he got better...., confused-smiley-013.gif

You lawyers are all talk and no action. poke2.gif

You lawyers are all talk and no action. poke2.gif

Only cause all you potential clients won't take out your wallet. poke2.gifflowerred.gif

I remember writing a check. Not a big one, but if things had started rolling I would have ponied up more. hi.gif

It wasn't $ that made Ewert hard to file -- it was finding enough clients who had trimmed books who were willing to step up and put their names on a litigation in an area where we had a lawyer -- in a jurisdiction where we could succeed on the legal merits.

At any rate, Zaid might succeed here -- although if he always gave refunds when people discovered the resto -- the problem that you always run into is that dealers in this hobby, even the most experienced, miss restoration non stop. Now if you can prove he did the resto himself, and then put it up unrestored, you avoid that problem. I say good luck to Zaid -- I think stopping this guy from being on ebay would be a definite plus.

I remember writing a check. Not a big one, but if things had started rolling I would have ponied up more. hi.gif

It wasn't $ that made Ewert hard to file -- it was finding enough clients who had trimmed books who were willing to step up and put their names on a litigation in an area where we had a lawyer -- in a jurisdiction where we could succeed on the legal merits.

I was just responding to Mark's claim that we wouldn't take out our wallets. I know why the Ewert action didn't go forward, and understand.

I'm wondering how an attorney would approach going after individual scammers (Ewert/Comic-Keys) for undisclosed alterations of comic books when a sizeable industry that relies on undisclosed alterations to increase profits has evolved.

It seems there's more than enough controversy/public debate/hair splitting/noted examples/services offered/published price bumps/acceptance spin-speech surrounding the "nondisclosure" issue to make any judge's/jury's head(s) spin right off their necks.

If it please the court, defense exhibit A23... the Mile High pedigree Boy Comics #17... 893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif

The question is not does ebay KNOW about the restored books, the real question is do they care? The answer is NOPE,,, As long as he pays his credit card he is a good standing member of the ebay community.

Ebay claims they care about the community but the truth is they can't stop fraud nor do they really try to. They cut a few people off as a show of strength but they cave or the real thieves.

Does this mean that Danny boy cannot join the Network of Disclosure? lol!!

The views expressed are just my opinion and they probably don't count for much anyhow!

The question is not does ebay KNOW about the restored books, the real question is do they care? The answer is NOPE,,, As long as he pays his credit card he is a good standing member of the ebay community.

Ebay claims they care about the community but the truth is they can't stop fraud nor do they really try to. They cut a few people off as a show of strength but they cave or the real thieves.

Does this mean that Danny boy cannot join the Network of Disclosure? lol!!

The views expressed are just my opinion and they probably don't count for much anyhow!

This is the most depressingly truthful post in existence.

I'm wondering how an attorney would approach going after individual scammers (Ewert/Comic-Keys) for undisclosed alterations of comic books when a sizeable industry that relies on undisclosed alterations to increase profits has evolved.

It seems there's more than enough controversy/public debate/hair splitting/noted examples/services offered/published price bumps/acceptance spin-speech surrounding the "nondisclosure" issue to make any judge's/jury's head(s) spin right off their necks.

If it please the court, defense exhibit A23... the Mile High pedigree Boy Comics #17... 893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif

Actually, this is a very good point being made here. thumbsup2.gif

If collectors and insiders within the industry itself can't even decide what is okay and not okay from a restoration and disclosure point of view, how can you expect somebody that has absolutely no knowledge of the hobby to be able to figure everything out.

And using the CGC blue label as the standard or measuring stick would certainly not hold up in a court of law since it would be so simple to show various exanples of "restored" books hiding behind these labels. Too many so-called legtimate dealers using CGC to laundered their books for a judge to find guilt without revealing the sordid details and scummy fiascos that is so prevalent in today's marketplace.

This would be a definite negative for the marketplace as most collectors and the general public are generally not even aware of what is currently taking place.