• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Ebay Know Of Comic-Keys Selling Of Restored Books?

28 posts in this topic

Mark,

Where has all this come from all of a sudden. I mean comic-keys has been selling restored books guaranteed as unrestored for years. Has something happened recently that us collectors should know about. confused-smiley-013.gif

Every case needs a plaintiff. If past victims don't come to me, or hire some other lawyer, than it is as if the transaction never happened.

It sometimes just takes one to make the difference.

The question is not does ebay KNOW about the restored books, the real question is do they care? The answer is NOPE,,, As long as he pays his credit card he is a good standing member of the ebay community.

Ebay claims they care about the community but the truth is they can't stop fraud nor do they really try to. They cut a few people off as a show of strength but they cave or the real thieves.

The operative legal question is does e-bay know of it. Whether they care is secondary and, on some levels, irrelevant.

If you sell stolen goods to someone the issue is whether they know those goods are stolen, not whether they care if they are or not.

Does this mean that Danny boy cannot join the Network of Disclosure? lol!!

I don't particularly find this funny. The NOD is trying to take serious steps in our community and promote disclosure and ethical transactions. I don't know why that would be deserving of humor.

And, no, I would not think Danny boy would be eligible for membership.

I'm wondering how an attorney would approach going after individual scammers (Ewert/Comic-Keys) for undisclosed alterations of comic books when a sizeable industry that relies on undisclosed alterations to increase profits has evolved.

It seems there's more than enough controversy/public debate/hair splitting/noted examples/services offered/published price bumps/acceptance spin-speech surrounding the "nondisclosure" issue to make any judge's/jury's head(s) spin right off their necks.

If it please the court, defense exhibit A23... the Mile High pedigree Boy Comics #17... 893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif

Actually, this is a very good point being made here. thumbsup2.gif

If collectors and insiders within the industry itself can't even decide what is okay and not okay from a restoration and disclosure point of view, how can you expect somebody that has absolutely no knowledge of the hobby to be able to figure everything out.

And using the CGC blue label as the standard or measuring stick would certainly not hold up in a court of law since it would be so simple to show various exanples of "restored" books hiding behind these labels. Too many so-called legtimate dealers using CGC to laundered their books for a judge to find guilt without revealing the sordid details and scummy fiascos that is so prevalent in today's marketplace.

This would be a definite negative for the marketplace as most collectors and the general public are generally not even aware of what is currently taking place.

This would certainly be a possible defense for anyone selling certain types of "restored" books, but just because a defense might exist doesn't mean it would work. Perhaps a case of the sort I envision would become a war of experts, doesn't bother me. A lot of cases come down to that.

If it comes down to a trial of experts and you get Mr Nelson on the stand,promise me you'll ask him about Arseman. Please.

According to Jack McCoy, Mark could only ask about Arseman if Matt opened the door to that line of questioning.

tongue.gif

If it comes down to a trial of experts and you get Mr Nelson on the stand,promise me you'll ask him about Arseman. Please.

According to Jack McCoy, Mark could only ask about Arseman if Matt opened the door to that line of questioning.

tongue.gif

I can always find a way to have that door opened. 27_laughing.gif

Anything for my old mentor The Shad! headbang.gif