• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

all star #8 CGC 8.5 OW

25 posts in this topic

nice book!

linky

yes...it is a nice book.

Only thing is, for $87,000, someone has Wonder Woman confused with Superman, Batman or Spider-man. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We sold this same book for a little under 40K about 4 years ago. Price seems kinda steep IMO.

S

You think? How would you price it now?

nice book!

linky

yes...it is a nice book.

Only thing is, for $87,000, someone has Wonder Woman confused with Superman, Batman or Spider-man. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We sold this same book for a little under 40K about 4 years ago. Price seems kinda steep IMO.

S

You think? How would you price it now?

Would price it a little less than top of the guide.

S

Does anyone know if that $60,000 bid is legit? A CGC 7.5 JUST sold for $17,000+... I'm surprised someone would turn down a $60,000 offer for an 8.5 confused-smiley-013.gif

The color strike on the book is gorgeous but that's one heck of a premium to jump from a 7.5 copy. Any one want to bet that the 7.5 copy shows up on the market soon with an asking price of around $30,000.

Does anyone know if that $60,000 bid is legit? A CGC 7.5 JUST sold for $17,000+... I'm surprised someone would turn down a $60,000 offer for an 8.5 confused-smiley-013.gif

If I had the book today, $45k-$50k would be plenty.

S

in your experience, how many better copies are out there?

Church

Larsen

Allentown

Windy??

etc etc

This book doesn't seem to warrant the kind of money that's being asked. Not many people know the market better than Steve, so it's kind of hard to argue with him on this. Stranger things have happened though. What would happen to the market for this book if it did get it's asking price? By the way, it's a cool book with a great cover, but that's a down payment on a couple of rentals for me.

Hi Everyone,

I noticed this thread and thought I'd chime in. Seems like you guys would like to know the pricing logic here so let me "defend" the asking price, if you will. First thing I'd like to say is, comparing this book to a 7.5 makes no sense at all. The 8.5 is one of the top two examples of this book ever presented to CGC and they have been in business for about 7 years now. In our 11 years in business, I have never handled a better example of All Star #8. It is a book that everyone who has ever tried to acquire knows is very rare in high-grade. Also, though this book has the CGC grade of 8.5, the front cover is a SOLID 9.2, so the eye appeal factor is just killer.

The significance and popularity of Wonder Woman is unrivaled as a female superhero. Over the years, popular 8.5's have sold for multiples of "top of guide." 1.5x top of guide ($52,500) is $78750, and by April 1, judging on past movements for this book, the current buy price should be at about a 1.5 multiple. It is an undervalued major key in my opinion. With the way sales of other key Golden Age #1's have been going, and the relative price of Silver Age keys in high-grade, the price we have on this one is going to look real cheap in a bunch of years. Plus I believe a Wonder Woman movie is coming out which is going to elevate the character, already the most popular super-heroine, even more in the mind of the public. That, in turn, increases the likelihood of investors seeking out this book.

We have all had seller's remorse and as potential buyers, we have all passed on books that we wish we had acquired. I do own the All Star #8 and the thing is, once it is gone I don't think I will be able to replace it, so why price it too cheap. It is only going up in value. The way I look at it, is that you can't buy much that is irreplaceable and as significant as this for the price tag. Hell, in NYC where I live, you can't even get a (very replaceable) one bedroom apartment anymore for $300K!

Josh

But Wonder Woman is a murderer confused-smiley-013.gif oh i forgot this is the GA Forum. foreheadslap.gif I can't blame Josh though with the asking price since If it doesnt sell he will still be a proud owner of the book.

Personally, I don't think it is an undervalued book at all. Look at the Wonderwomen stuff available and the prices they command, not a huge amount of interest (but admittedly some). Nope, seems like guide is about right on that one.

yeah.....what he said tongue.gif

Personally, I don't think it is an undervalued book at all. Look at the Wonderwomen stuff available and the prices they command, not a huge amount of interest (but admittedly some). Nope, seems like guide is about right on that one.

I should mention that I am no Wonder Woman hater, I actually have had my eyes open for several years for a clean copy of Sensation 1 and Wonder Woman 1, just haven't found exactly what I want yet and really see no need to rush.

I should mention that I am no Wonder Woman hater, I actually have had my eyes open for several years for a clean copy of Sensation 1 and Wonder Woman 1, just haven't found exactly what I want yet and really see no need to rush.

hello all...

I agree...as I too have been "casually" watching for a WW 1, AS 8, etc and they always seem to go for a percentage of guide, even in high grade (8.0 Sen 1 went for 75% of guide on last heritage, someone mentioned the 7.5 AS 8 that went for 80% of guide, etc)....true an 8.5 is at a different level, but a 20-25% bump in price puts it at guide...

don't get me wrong, it is a great book, and may very well be worth 1.5x current guide in the future, but then we are talking about TVM ("time value of money" to you non economists out there) and that opens a whole new can of worms...

rick

hello all...

I agree...as I too have been "casually" watching for a WW 1, AS 8, etc and they always seem to go for a percentage of guide, even in high grade (8.0 Sen 1 went for 75% of guide on last heritage, someone mentioned the 7.5 AS 8 that went for 80% of guide, etc)....true an 8.5 is at a different level, but a 20-25% bump in price puts it at guide...

don't get me wrong, it is a great book, and may very well be worth 1.5x current guide in the future, but then we are talking about TVM ("time value of money" to you non economists out there) and that opens a whole new can of worms...

rick

Nice move Rick. Beating up on Wonder Woman - a girl. Who's next? Lois Lane? Spider-Woman?

Stephen

hello all...

rick

Nice move Rick. Beating up on Wonder Woman - a girl. Who's next? Lois Lane? Spider-Woman?

Stephen

actually, I was thinking about going after Jessica Biel

yay.gif

rick