• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Fair Market Value of this GA book?

11 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a comic that I need for my collection. It is a Timely and it is a pretty major key. It is a very nice looking restored F/VF and I need the book for my collection. Unfortunately, the back cover has been married and its from the wrong book. (Would CGC give this a 0.5 as a result?)

Anyway I'm just wondering, what would everyone here pay in relation to guide for a restored F/VF with the wrong back cover? (Its not usually an over guide book or anything)

Is unrestored G guide too high?

I'm looking at a comic that I need for my collection. It is a Timely and it is a pretty major key. It is a very nice looking restored F/VF and I need the book for my collection. Unfortunately, the back cover has been married and its from the wrong book. (Would CGC give this a 0.5 as a result?)

Anyway I'm just wondering, what would everyone here pay in relation to guide for a restored F/VF with the wrong back cover? (Its not usually an over guide book or anything)

First be sure the married back cover is the right back cover. I have seen numerous times where this is not the case. I would definitely knock it down to a 1.0 to 2.0 level best case. CGC probably would down grade it that far but it should get an extensive label.

It actually is the wrong back cover. So you think that with a wrong back cover but an otherwise F/VF book, CGC would give it a 2.0?

Does this mean that since it would be a restored 2.0 it should sell for less than unrestored G guide?

It actually is the wrong back cover. So you think that with a wrong back cover but an otherwise F/VF book, CGC would give it a 2.0?

Does this mean that since it would be a restored 2.0 it should sell for less than unrestored G guide?

The restored TEC 1 with a married wrong BC that was recently on Heritage auction was knocked down by CGC to a 0.5. as book is technically incomplete I think that would happen in all cases.

It sold for 40 % of gd guide which is pretty high considering its restored, incomplete and only 0.5. But then again for such an important book as TEC 1 it had an amazing looking FC, and there is probably many collectors for whom this was the only opportunity to ever own such a copy! i was unfortumately outbid... frown.gif

That makes sense. So what would the right price be to pay for this book? Is there any difference in value between a 0.5 with a wrong back cover that would've otherwise been a 4.0 and a 0.5 with a wrong back cover that would've otherwise been a 7.0?

It really is a shame because this is a book that I would really like to have for my collection and other than the wrong back cover it is in excellent condition. But I want to make sure I don't overpay.

It looks like maybe half G guide is the way to go?

That makes sense. So what would the right price be to pay for this book? Is there any difference in value between a 0.5 with a wrong back cover that would've otherwise been a 4.0 and a 0.5 with a wrong back cover that would've otherwise been a 7.0?

It really is a shame because this is a book that I would really like to have for my collection and other than the wrong back cover it is in excellent condition. But I want to make sure I don't overpay.

It looks like maybe half G guide is the way to go?

hello all...

wrong back cover is incomplete and will get a .5, irregardless of how nice the rest looks...patience my young padawan, the book will be available at somepoint in the future, in the condition you will be happy with!...I have no problem with married back covers, centerfolds, etc, but the wrong one?, I would pass unless you are getting for like 1/2 or better of Gd...

just my opinion

rick

It sounds like you'd prefer not to name the book but whether it's worth it depends on what the book is. The replies I read have all pegged it to the guide price and what numeral grade it is, but that formula fails on many books for two reason.s One of that in the lower grades of highly desirable books, you can't count on everybody else thinking a .5 is worth only half as much as a 1.0 or one quarter of a 2.0. You can want it to be that way, and you can run the numerbs like that to the seller, but the market doesn't behave that way. What most low grade buyers do is look at the good price and figure that's the low end price, and that fair and poor might be below that but not necessarily a whole lot below.

If the book is hugely undervalued in the guide (and more than a few books are undervalued to the tune of one-fifth or one-tenth of guide), then the guide 2.0 price is a giant bargain over the FMV .5 price.

Since you know the market, you know how likely it is a book will come along in the condition you want, and then you have to guage how much more that book is likely to be price-wise, and whether it's worth going for that one and/or risking that one doesn't come along before the FMV rises even further.

Unless we are talking a Major key like Action 1, TEC 1, 27, Adv. 40 etc. or it is a gerber 9+ i would not pay more than 20 % of fmv (not guide!) for a unrestored gd. That may translate to a lot more of guide price but it depends on the likelihood of a better copy turning up in a condition you are happy with. As it seems from Ricks reply, that will happen soon so I would pass on this one tongue.gif just my 0.02

You indicate that FMV and guide are roughly the same - so is it not a difficult book to find then? While the wrong BC is pretty much the same as no BC, how much additional resto had been done would effect the percentage I was willing to pay, as would the dollar value of that resto in relation to low guide.

(i.e - if none of the FC had been recreated and it the book had a low guide of $1000, then a 7.0 looking copy might be worth paying $400 for, as any unrestored book at that price would likely be pretty ragged, and would cost that much to make presentable. If low guide was more like $5000, then $1250-$1500 might be more reasonable. I have to think that any

Timely with a presentable FC and all interior wraps is worth at least 25% of 2.0 FMV even without a back cover. Timleys with no covers at all or missing centerfolds routinely sell for 20-50% of low guide on ebay. I once sold a VG looking Captain America #41 missing two center wraps for over 80% of low guide.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I think everyone is right and I'm probably going to pass on this one. Its a relatively common book and doesn't typically sell above guide in any grade. (It can usually be had at a slight discount) I was excited because other than the back cover being incorrect (which I didn't realize until today) everything else about the book (price, grade, etc) was exactly what I've been looking for. But it looks like it would take at least G guide price to make the sale happen so I will just wait for the next one!

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I think everyone is right and I'm probably going to pass on this one. Its a relatively common book and doesn't typically sell above guide in any grade. (It can usually be had at a slight discount) I was excited because other than the back cover being incorrect (which I didn't realize until today) everything else about the book (price, grade, etc) was exactly what I've been looking for. But it looks like it would take at least G guide price to make the sale happen so I will just wait for the next one!

hello all....

Adam, a wise decision, IMO wink.gif

rick