• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can you guys tell me about this Gerber 10?..........

22 posts in this topic

While looking thru my Gerber Guide...checking out the Marvel Mystery comics, I came across this Gerber 10 on page 462, non-numbered, and apparently issued between number 92 and 93. What's up with this book? Marvel Mystery Grail? super high demand?

I am not familiar with this neat little gem, so please educate me.....

1622535-marverl-mystery.jpg

1622535-marverl-mystery.jpg.2039ed089c9d6a85bb98b885d24b3f74.jpg

While looking thru my Gerber Guide...checking out the Marvel Mystery comics, I came across this Gerber 10 on page 462, non-numbered, and apparently issued between number 92 and 93. What's up with this book? Marvel Grail? high demand?

I am not familiar with this neat little gem.....

Annual issue. B&W interior, reprints. Now considered to be a Canadian comic. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Showcase, here's a copy that sold at Heritage last year. It has a nice little write up about it that may give you some info. I bet you'll be surprised this raw 4.5 copy sold for $28,600. Link:

MM annual

thanks Durden....I read the description, and there was mention of distribution in New York, but nothing about Canada. The 1st response within this thread referenced this as a Canadian comic. What's the scoop here? Is this is a highly prized American comic, or a Canadian comic that is of only "so so" appeal, due to it's "foreign" printing factor?

Showcase, here's a copy that sold at Heritage last year. It has a nice little write up about it that may give you some info. I bet you'll be surprised this raw 4.5 copy sold for $28,600. Link:

MM annual

thanks Durden....I read the description, and there was mention of distribution in New York, but nothing about Canada. The 1st response within this thread referenced this as a Canadian comic. What's the scoop here? Is this is a highly prized American comic, or a Canadian comic that is of only "so so" appeal, due to it's "foreign" printing factor?

I'm interested in hearing what kind of evidence there is that it was distributed in NYC. Printed in NYC doesn't necessarily mean distributed in NYC.

MM annual

I'm interested in hearing what kind of evidence there is that it was distributed in NYC. Printed in NYC doesn't necessarily mean distributed in NYC.

True - conversely a lot of Chesler books were printed in Canada - but were they distributed there?

The argument as to whether these annuals are true Timelys will probably never be settled, but their "grail" status for many Timely collectors is not debatable given the prices they fetch.

While looking thru my Gerber Guide...checking out the Marvel Mystery comics, I came across this Gerber 10 on page 462, non-numbered, and apparently issued between number 92 and 93. What's up with this book? Marvel Mystery Grail? super high demand?

Actually, I thought you'd've known about this.

Reprints a cover and reprints an interior not necessarily at the same time as the US publication, so I think it being considered a necessary item for compeltis come from early misunderstanding that it wasn't actually an "annual" for the US publication but a Canadian reprint. That and the fact Gerber put it in the book as if it were an annual, making it appear to be of the regular official Marvel Mystery series. Soi a lot of its value comes not so much from what we know of it but from what collectors once thought it was years ago. That aside, it's still extremely rare, interesting to look at and, I'm sure, to own..

But can't help being am intritgued by the way a reprint (not even published concurrently with the US edition) can achieve such value. I love the lancer book reprints of the marvel titles and its where I first discovered them from a garage sale find, but they're worth nothing.

But showcase himself proved that some books made of reprints can get phenomenal figures, like the reform school girls he sold for 11K. And the cover and title (which is where the eye catching value comes from) was a reprint from a paperback book, -- yet he sold it for more than ten percent of what is currently being asked for an unrestored action 1 on comiclink,

Which brings to mind that oft-asked question -- which would you prefer -- any nine books comparable to that 7.5 issue of Reform School Girls, or that unrestored 2.0 Action 1?

Other reprint or rebound books that fetch big money:

Marvel Comics #1 Nov. edition

Superman #1 (which even has a 2nd and 3rd printing worth as much as the 1st apparently)

Double Action #2

Giant Comics Edition #12 (a Fair copy would probably fetch 9.2 guide)

While I personally don't "get" the prices paid for Reform School Girl, you're in apples and oranges territory comparing it to a GA hero key. Pre-code and Atom Age esoterica collectors get just as excited in acquiring their "grail" books as do GA Superhero fans, and I suppose paying 11K for a high grade grail seems cheap compared to paying $100K for a "reader" copy of a book one can easily find reprinted.

wink.gif

One might more readily ask - what would you rather have - an 8.0 copy of Suspense #3 ( a book with no real historical importance) or a complete FR copy of Action #1 ( a comic considered by many to be the most important GA book)

Superman #1 (which even has a 2nd and 3rd printing worth as much as the 1st apparently)

Double Action #2

While I personally don't "get" the prices paid for Reform School Girl, you're in apples and oranges territory comparing it to a GA hero key. Pre-code and Atom Age esoterica collectors get just as excited in acquiring their "grail" books as do GA Superhero fans, and I suppose paying 11K for a high grade grail seems cheap compared to paying $100K for a "reader" copy of a book one can easily find reprinted.

wink.gif

One might more readily ask - what would you rather have - an 8.0 copy of Suspense #3 ( a book with no real historical importance) or a complete FR copy of Action #1 ( a comic considered by many to be the most important GA book)

I am not comparing apples and oranges but dollars spent and dollars priced.

There is no question whatever I would prefer and value a complete fair of action 1 to a suspense 3 in any grade.

The same would be true for any high grade but little known book versus any low grade but rare and world famous book. easy call

But we may be coming from different perspective, or at least I would guess that from your use of the term "reader" to describe a copy of Action 1. Does "reader" means it's not worth anything, not considered an "investment"? If so then you're valuing condition over content. Plenty of people do that, but I consider ithe focus to be misplaced. Content first, then condition. Otherwise those dead mint early 40s copies I have of Super comics with Tracy on the cover would be worth many tijmes more than those lower grade copies of action and superman with supes on the cover.

Perhaps a "reader" ciopy of reform school girls would not qualify -- but every grade cipy of action 1 (detective 27, et al) is "investment grade."

Double Action #2

wink.gif

Here's a canadian reprint that has much in common with the marvel mystery (being a 10 rarity etc.) but which didn't make it into the gerber book.

Archie1Canadajpg.jpg

Actually, I thought you'd've known about this.

I started collecting SA comics back in 1992. At somepoint, I switched to a combo of pre-code esoteric GA and Platinum Age keys........so, there are holes in my GA knowledge that I'm trying to fill, and the Boards has been a huge help. Most of the threads I start ask a question, including my most popular thread "which one would you choose?". I read every single answer you guys have given, to help fill in those knowledge holes, as I am now 100% focusing on Golden Age DC's, and consider myself for the 1st time in 15 years..... .a Golden Age collector, and I've never been happier.

Here's a canadian reprint that has much in common with the marvel mystery (being a 10 rarity etc.) but which didn't make it into the gerber book.

not to be a jerk, but how does it have a "10" if it's not in the Gerber books?

not to be a jerk, but how does it have a "10" if it's not in the Gerber books?

The fact it's not in the gerber book is why I used the term "a 10 rarity" but perhaps it would be even more accurate to a 10-level rarity. That means it is as rare as a 10 by the gerber scale, which is 5 or less copies.

Double Action #2

wink.gif

I am not comparing apples and oranges but dollars spent and dollars priced.

There is no question whatever I would prefer and value a complete fair of action 1 to a suspense 3 in any grade.

The same would be true for any high grade but little known book versus any low grade but rare and world famous book. easy call

But we may be coming from different perspective, or at least I would guess that from your use of the term "reader" to describe a copy of Action 1. Does "reader" means it's not worth anything, not considered an "investment"? If so then you're valuing condition over content. Plenty of people do that, but I consider ithe focus to be misplaced. Content first, then condition. Otherwise those dead mint early 40s copies I have of Super comics with Tracy on the cover would be worth many tijmes more than those lower grade copies of action and superman with supes on the cover.

Perhaps a "reader" ciopy of reform school girls would not qualify -- but every grade cipy of action 1 (detective 27, et al) is "investment grade."

I was hoping the wink.gif gremlin would indicate I had tongue in cheek when referring to a low grade Action #1 as a "reader",

I was trying to point out that when it comes to spending thousands of dollars on a comic book, any choice can appear overvalued or foolish to someone else.

I actually think the apples and oranges comment is apt. Both are fruit and bought with dollars, but the comparative price per pound isn't that relevant if you don't like citrus.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. For me as well, a low grade Action #1 makes more sense than a high grade Suspense #3 for the same money, even though I would rather have a Suspense #3 than an Action #1 in my personal collection, but evidently the market doesn't feel that Suspense #3 is overvalued, as prices continue to escalate. It has achieved it's own status as the "Action #1" of "classic covers". One could argue that such status is far more potentially ephemeral than the historic significance of Superman's first appearance, but there are plenty of other traditional first appearance/first issue keys that go for serious money yet fail to impress those who don't collect early GA.

As for "investment grade"- that sounds too much like a marketing term created by people who realize there is more money to be made in turning over inventory than in holding it.

flowerred.gif