• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Super Hot right now?????

57 posts in this topic

Hello?

Aren't most Valiants in NM condition? Didn't people hoard these books when they came out? Didn't almost everyone put them in backing boards and bags when they came out?

You can never compare books from say from 1975 on, to books prior to this time.

Since I don't know squat about Valiants...could someone please explain "pre-unity" to me... 893frustrated.gif

I have a logical idea what it means but it doesn't hurt to get a proper explaination... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure there is no downside, but there is little or no upside either. If you buy them to read, that's great. But if you think they will be worth significatly more than what they are worth now, you will be dissapointed. When I say worthless, I mean you would pay about the same for a Valiant as you would a new comics. 30 years after Atlas, you can pick up almost all of the issues in NM for around 5 bucks each. It has been, and will be the same for Valiant.... no one cares. They tried to reboot the books twice already, and what happened? Nothing......

"Aren't most Valiants in NM condition? Didn't people hoard these books when they came out?"

I would agree with you on this statement yet at the same time many of these books ( the pre unitys) are at $ 25 to $ 100. There seems to be no quick speculator spike like years ago. More of slow steady growth this time around.

When someone asks what is a good series to read 20 years from now I will tell them to check out the Valiants. I will bet those keys in the pre unitys will be real hard to find.

Just curious. Anyone know cost of original art for Valiant series. Can they still be picked up regularly cheap. I guess what I am asking is what is the average cost of a Valiant page as compared to other series? In other words are they considered the low end of original art world like some people have made fun of collecting valiant books or are they just as costly? I am not an original art collector at all but would like to possibly try a few in the future.

I dont really know. I guess its impossible to tell if the comparison is EC's or Atlas Seaboard until a long time from now. Perhaps the truth falls somewhere in between those two categories. Maybe the best thing to say is that they were good reads yet the pre unitys will rise in value. Perhaps valiantman could shed more light on the topic. I am not qualified to render full decision. Just observation of what I am seeing so far.

"I would agree with you on this statement yet at the same time many of these books ( the pre unitys) are at $ 25 to $ 100."

I have to assume when you quote $25-100 you mean the gimmick gold covers? I see Harbinger 1 which was the hottest Valiant, sell for $10 on a good day.

Also a good point... I would think 99% of all Valiant are nm/m. It is much harder, I would think, to find an Atlas/Seaboard book in nm/m...... and they are still worth zip.

Both statements are inaccurate...

The last issue of Atlas books command a nice price, as do Iron Jaw, Sgt. Stryker and Moorlock Men. There are also warehouse finds of them, which allow for some nice high grade issues. I think you need to define "worthless" - the Flying Donut empire is built on repeated sales of $5 books, which are the very definition of Atlas comics.

Also, I will take every single copy of the "worthless" Gothic Romances 1 you can find!

Tom, Your from Merrick. I grew up in Merrick too. Right where Jerusalem ave and Meadowbrook road meet. About 2 blocks away. I moved to Florida 4 yrs ago cause of the high taxes and heavy traffic. With the saved money living down here, I can finally by more books.

I defined wothless a few posts ago, about the same price as a new comic. I'm glad you can get a nice price on the last issues, but I have almost the whole run (just buying from the past year or so) and have only once paid more than $5 for an issue in nm. And yes, everyone who collects Atlas knows Gothic Romance is the rarest of them all, but I'm not talking about magazines...... and I think you are wrong in thinking nm seaboard are easier to find than Valiant.

Since I don't know squat about Valiants...could someone please explain "pre-unity" to me... 893frustrated.gif

I have a logical idea what it means but it doesn't hurt to get a proper explaination... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Never mind...thanks to valiantman's web link I was able to find out all by meself... 893applaud-thumb.gif

...and if you don't think 99% of all Valiants are nm/m, you are kidding yourself.

If by NM/M, you mean CGC 9.8 NM/M... I don't think so.

Only 25% of pre-Unity Valiants ("pre-Unity" meaning 1991 to Summer 1992)

have been awarded a CGC 9.8 or better out of 413 pre-Unity Valiant submissions.

(And when I say "or better"... there are ZERO in CGC 9.9 or CGC 10.0.)

Overall, the average CGC grades assigned for Valiant are identical

to those of 1991-1992 Marvel, DC, Image, etc. Not any better...

The difference is that early Valiant (1991-92) average print runs

were around 60,000 copies. Marvel, DC, and Image were in the

hundreds of thousands...and Valiant still has "respect" for their early stories...

(anybody out there still re-reading Venom? Funeral for Supes? Youngblood?)

Sure, it's a crazy comparision to put Valiant 1990's next to E.C. Comics 1950's...

but we're all well-aware that certain books definitely become the most sought

after for THEIR OWN time period. What do you think the most sought

after set of books from 1991-92 in another 10 years will be?

Cry for Dawn? Bone? Valiant?

Whatever you pick, wouldn't you love to find the best ones now for $1?

Why would people be submitting books that you can get for a buck or two to CGC?

I stated many times that unless a book is worth atleast $50 "raw" there is probably no economic benefit to have it graded at this time.

I'm not knocking Valiants (OK, maybe I am), but I remember taking my money and buying Avengers #1 & #4, DD #1, TOS #39 when all the dealers were stacking up on Valiants. Some dealers lost 95% of their money and a ton of collectors did too.

And I'm sure all those collectors have high grade copies (maybe not 9.8 but tons of 9.4).

I stated many times that unless a book is worth atleast $50 "raw" there is probably no economic benefit to have it graded at this time.

I'm not knocking Valiants (OK, maybe I am), but I remember taking my money and buying Avengers #1 & #4, DD #1, TOS #39 when all the dealers were stacking up on Valiants. Some dealers lost 95% of their money and a ton of collectors did too.

And I'm sure all those collectors have high grade copies (maybe not 9.8 but tons of 9.4).

I don't think you can get pre-Unity Valiants in very high grade for a buck or two anymore. I just don't. You can get all the Unity and just afterwards ones you want, true, but the first 10 issues of Magnus, Rai, Solar and Harbinger are VERY hard to find in true high grade anymore.

I remember taking my money and buying Avengers #1 & #4, DD #1, TOS #39 when all the dealers were stacking up on Valiants.

That was a fantastic idea... picking Silver Age over $100 Valiants... good job.

Those $100 Valiants were great books... just not worth any $100 "investment" in 1993.

They're definitely worth $1 to $10 in 2003, though.

That's not a question for Valiant fans...

that's a question for people CGC-ing Image! grin.gif

CGC 9.4 Spawn #1... anyone? There's 220 in the census!

Well... for Valiant... you can see where some of the "benefit" is...

and you can also see those solid arguments for "CGC isn't worth it"...

It's about 50/50...

Green is good --- Red is bad:

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/cgcsales.asp

I don't think you can get pre-Unity Valiants in very high grade for a buck or two anymore. I just don't. You can get all the Unity and just afterwards ones you want, true, but the first 10 issues of Magnus, Rai, Solar and Harbinger are VERY hard to find in true high grade anymore.

definitely agree with you on this. The pre unitys seem to be slowly disappearing into collections. I see some of them being flipped on auction. I am also seeing a little seeding the pile of commons with one or two tougher books just to unload a stack of common books. It would be interesting to check out sales of pre unity on ebay each month from 6 months to see if less are being offered for sale. I dont know if this would be viable considering things slow a little for the summer.