• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Zombies O/A

25 posts in this topic

I was actually negotiating on one of the Marvel Zombies DPS's, but was not able to get them down to the price I wanted. I think overall the price on all of the Zombies pieces are high. That's not to say it is not warranted. Marvel Zombies has been a major hit series. But just in general I just can't bring myself to spend so much money on current pages like that. There is a definite line seperating popular current art and not popular current art when you see the prices of pages from Zombies, Astonishing X-men, New Avengers, Captain America and so on when compared to any other title.

I'd say wait. It doesn't seem like the pages are flying off the shelves.

I don't disagree at all.

To clarify, my point to Justin is that a page of art is "worth" whatever YOU want to pay for it. If somebody's asking $300 for a page that you absolutely love, and it's worth $300 to you, then buy it. Because that's the ONLY one of that particular page.

Marvel Zombies art is probably a little inflated in price for a modern book because of its popularity. If interest in the series fades in the next year or so prices may come down -- but if a lifelong fan grabs a page they may hang on to it for a long time.

If you're just thinking about it from an investment standpoint, I wouldn't gamble on it. There's no way to know what art will be hot down the road. Buy a page of comic art because you love it, not because you want to invest in it.

I seem to recall that when they first got listed on Splashpage, prices were a bit lower. The Hank-Pym-bites-Wasp's-head-off page was about $200, either $185 or $215 stick in my mind, and except for the splashes it was the most expensive page in the issue. After it became a hit they adjusted the prices on 1 and 2, and all subsequently listed issues reflected that. No point in selling for $200 what people will pay $300 for, and since there was a delay of a couple months before #3 pages were listed, I assume they saw that people would, in fact, pay more.

It probably isn't. But keep this in mind Sean Phillips usually inks in sharpie. I am not sure how this was inked Sometimes he uses good ink. If it was inked in sharpie it has alot of potential to fade and possibly turn yellow in the next 3 to 5 years.

I asked Mark Hay about this very fact and he said that, and I quote

"Sean does occasionally fill in big spots of black with sharpie, but it is not how he typically works. He usually inks with india ink."

I guess it depends on the piece. Sharpie is the exception, not the rule, according to the rep.

Chris

Well I know all his x-men work was inked with sharpie. I also know that sean wants what he wants when it comes to those zombies pages. He wanted alot before the series even came out. The zombies pages may not be sharpie.

I assumed we were talking about the Zombie pages. I don't have any experience with his X-men artwork.

Alot of newer guys seem to like the black devil that is the sharpie though.

C

It's been brought up in a previous thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rue#Post1596022

I don't know about his other work, but I do have a MARVEL ZOMBIES page that was not inked in Sharpie. I e-mailed Sean directly about this and he confirmed it. I've seen most of the pages for sale by Splash Page...if there was Sharpie used, I would think it was the exception and not the rule.

As to the value question...as usual, it's an individual call. Personally, I find that Splash Page tends to price high. Nonetheless, I think all the MZ pages will eventually sell at the asking prices. MZ is a popular concept, I'm sure Marvel will milk it for all its worth, and these early pages will only rise in demand. I balked initially at paying the price I did for my page. Now, I'm glad I did.

OK, I feel pretty good about my decision now. I put in an order for a page. Let's hope he still has it.

Sweet. It looks like page #7 of issue #1 is on hold for me. I just love the art on that page. The full shot of Zombie Angel and the angle at which it shows Magneto on the ground. Love it.

OK, I feel pretty good about my decision now. I put in an order for a page. Let's hope he still has it.

Sweet. It looks like page #7 of issue #1 is on hold for me. I just love the art on that page. The full shot of Zombie Angel and the angle at which it shows Magneto on the ground. Love it.

I almost bought that one myself.

Well worth at least $299, IMHO.

grin.gif

There you go! Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

There are some sweet pages on Splashpage. That Galactus DPS where he's blasting everybody is way cool.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

MUST....RESIST....BUYING...MORE....ART.... 27_laughing.gif

This will be my first piece of OA too! Now I have to find a nice way to display it.

So you decided to go for it? Congratulations! Its definitely a great series to own art from. I bet 10 years from now it will be seen as one of those classic series', just as most look at Infinity Gauntlet today, and Secret Wars before that. headbang.gif

Yep, COngratulations.

You wont be sorry you did it (but you may be sorry you got into OA. Now that yur eyes are opened you'll start noticing how much sweet sweet art is out there. I predict the OA section of ebay bookmark being moved to the top of the list very very soon) foreheadslap.gif

Exactly. I saw some Civil War Punisher War Journal #2 penciled pages that are great, like where Punsher kills those 2 bad guys. They aren't inked though, the inking is done on computer. Kinda sad that the paper medium seems to be fading away.

Yep, COngratulations.

You wont be sorry you did it (but you may be sorry you got into OA. Now that yur eyes are opened you'll start noticing how much sweet sweet art is out there. I predict the OA section of ebay bookmark being moved to the top of the list very very soon) foreheadslap.gif

Exactly. I saw some Civil War Punisher War Journal #2 penciled pages that are great, like where Punsher kills those 2 bad guys. They aren't inked though, the inking is done on computer. Kinda sad that the paper medium seems to be fading away.

Pencil only is very sweet. lets you see the as teh artist trully saw it!

I have a superman vs spiderman commision that is pencil only