• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase in 9.8 condition - What's this book worth???

12 posts in this topic

Overstreet lists it at $160 and says that these covers were stapled almost a decade after their publication to a wide array of early 1950s coverless comics. Weird! Wonder why they did that.

That is definitely a Tan Line around the boarder of the pages. But ya thats one of those quirky books, might be an interesting submission. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

can't encapsulate reason being overhang, but was graded by CGC as NM/MT 9.8...maybe after magazine grading comes out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

can't encapsulate reason being overhang, but was graded by CGC as NM/MT 9.8...maybe after magazine grading comes out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The seller says that it was graded by CGC as a 9.8 but that they couldn't encapsulate it because of the overhang. Does that sound strange to anyone else? Does CGC go to the trouble of grading something like this when they know that they can't slab it. Seems like this is something that would be caught by the pre-graders and rejected before it was even graded. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The seller says that it was graded by CGC as a 9.8 but that they couldn't encapsulate it because of the overhang. Does that sound strange to anyone else? Does CGC go to the trouble of grading something like this when they know that they can't slab it. Seems like this is something that would be caught by the pre-graders and rejected before it was even graded. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If CGC never encapsulated that comic, then we also never gave it a final grade.

Ahhh-HA ! ! !

That's what I was suspecting. Thanks for the quick answer, Steve. smile.gif

It looks like the seller is using a little "creative marketing" (lie?) to build his book up. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Ahhh-HA ! ! !

That's what I was suspecting. Thanks for the quick answer, Steve. smile.gif

It looks like the seller is using a little "creative marketing" (lie?) to build his book up. 893naughty-thumb.gif

GASP! An eBay seller lying about his books?

My world is askew. 893whatthe.gif

GASP! An eBay seller lying about his books?

My world is askew. 893whatthe.gif

He's carrying it a step further than just overstating a grade, since it can always be argued that grading is "subjective". But, once he brought CGC's name into it, it clearly became illegal. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I love the testimonials he puts at the bottom of his descriptions..too funny for words.........It also makes sense that the cover would be too big.......the cover is from a Golden Age book dated 1945...and Showcase #17...is Silver...so there must be quite a hang on it....from what I understand there are literally countless books with this cover...I think recently they even found early JIM book with Thor..so they must have been using them well into the early 60's.

J.D.