• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

staple tear?

3 posts in this topic

Quick question...I have a SA FF that is an easy 9.2-9.4 EXCEPT the top staple area, it's torn(?)...The staple looks like its missing, but it's present in the centerfold area. The slight tearing around the staple caused the paper to "fluff up?" & hide the staple...how much would this defect lower a grade?

I think you are referring to a popped staple. This is when the staple appears to have shot though the cover and perhaps even the first few spreads.

If the book is otherwise a high grade example, you can presume that this was done during production and not post-production damage.

IMO, this is a good case for a qualified label. I would describe it as a qualified 9.whatever it is without the flaw.

Without the qualified designation, it would be impossible to reach any sort of consensus on what the "grade" would be.

Is a 9.2 with a popped staple a 8.0, 7.0 or 6.0? I'm sure you could find people to argue every single grade within that spectrum.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you are referring to a popped staple. This is when the staple appears to have shot though the cover and perhaps even the first few spreads.

If the book is otherwise a high grade example, you can presume that this was done during production and not post-production damage.

IMO, this is a good case for a qualified label. I would describe it as a qualified 9.whatever it is without the flaw.

Without the qualified designation, it would be impossible to reach any sort of consensus on what the "grade" would be.

Is a 9.2 with a popped staple a 8.0, 7.0 or 6.0? I'm sure you could find people to argue every single grade within that spectrum.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't have a scanner so it's hard to describe..It's FF #76 - The tearing is a slit in the spine where the top staple is supposed to be & the staple is buried down...it SUCKS because it's a gorgeous issue, at LEAST a 9.0, maybe 9.2, but I definitely don't want a GLOD on it...sigh I don't know what to do....guess I will try to sell it to someone