• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

split spine worthy of restoration asm #2

13 posts in this topic

I bought this excellent copy of ASM #2 super clean cover and sharp colors. The back was clean and the pages off white. The only problem is that the spine is split. Is it worth repairing and how much might it cost.

Here is a scan of the front

asm2ud5.jpg

WEBHEAD

i would say it is worth repairing if you will enjoy it more! You can get a cheapie job done for well under a $100 i would say but it won't look that great as it will probably be some kind of archival tape to hold the cover together or you could spend a bit more and have the spine totally rebuilt and color touched to look almost like new which would probably cost well over a $100. From an investment standpoint it is best to put as little into the book as possible! People will not pay much for a restored #2 so i wouldn't imagine making much in the way of profit from this venture in fact it is more likely you will lose money if you resell it. You should PM restoman(matt nelson) -he professionally restores books and can give you some prices and advice that is more informative than mine! Hope this helps!-Dave

PM's get horrible slow responses, try directly e-mailing him w/ full front + back scans and anything on the interior that needs attention. He'll usually quote you within 2-3 days, UNLESS he believes it won't be worth restoring. He has been professional enough to not try to squeeze every penny and has let me know when he believes the investment I'd have to put in will end up being in the negative.

PM's get horrible slow responses, try directly e-mailing him w/ full front + back scans and anything on the interior that needs attention. He'll usually quote you within 2-3 days, UNLESS he believes it won't be worth restoring. He has been professional enough to not try to squeeze every penny and has let me know when he believes the investment I'd have to put in will end up being in the negative.

If monetary value is the only concern here then i would advise against having work done! I know enough to feel confident that minor silver keys like this book generally don't pay to restore!

If monetary value is the only concern here then i would advise against having work done! I know enough to feel confident that minor silver keys like this book generally don't pay to restore!

If he's just planning on keeping the book, I'd think this would be a fairly cheap job since it'd just be the spine seal, right?

If he's just planning on keeping the book, I'd think this would be a fairly cheap job since it'd just be the spine seal, right?

probably!

probably!

fine!

There aren't that many SA books that would make sense to have professionally spine-sealed, but because of the high guide value this might be one of them (that's assuming you don't have too much invested in the book already). The book looks pretty good other than the spine issue, and as long as you don't mind the resto, you'll end up with a book that presents nicely on the cheap (again, assuming you've paid somewhere in the Fair to GVG neighborhood so far).

My guess is the spine sealing would be around $100, give or take a few $, but Matt can give you a firm estimate. Good luck!

The book presents really well.

Presuming you got it inexpensively and don't have the budget to obtain a comparable unrestored copy, I say go for it. thumbsup2.gif

I don't think a simple spine seal would be too expensive. Plus, it's a nice book to keep in one piece for posterity.

I would leave it the way it is and spend the money I considered putting into the restoration into more comic(s).

If you want a better ASM #2 buy one.

Thynqikan

I agree. Sell this copy and take that money, plus the $250 it would cost to have the spine split sealed in an attractive way, and buy a VG copy.