• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you attending WonderCon and/or Wizard L.A.?

19 posts in this topic

Just curious which Board members will be attending WonderCon and/or Wizard L.A., March 2007? It seems that some of us have met before, or have at least passed each other like two ships in the night. Anyway, I've really enjoyed my first few months on the Board, and I hope to meet as many of you as possible at the shows.

FYI, I'll be the guy wearing the ignominious Los Angeles Kings hockey cap...

Just curious which Board members will be attending WonderCon and/or Wizard L.A., March 2007? It seems that some of us have met before, or have at least passed each other like two ships in the night. Anyway, I've really enjoyed my first few months on the Board, and I hope to meet as many of you as possible at the shows.

FYI, I'll be the guy wearing the ignominious Los Angeles Kings hockey cap...

Steve,

Are you able to make the WonderCon forum dinner? It's Saturday night (March 3) at 8 p.m., about a block away from the convention center. There will be about 40 people there, maybe more. (We're up to 40 confirmed attendees right now.)

I'll be at both but not the WC Forum dinner.

And I was GOING TO be at San Diego too but couldn't get a friggin room this morning making me think I might go to Vegas instead...

Methinks it's time for those of us who've been going to that show forever to create a secondary venue offsite...

Scott, no I can't make the dinner Saturday night (sorry).

I'm really hoping to find some nice Golden Age books up at WonderCon. I've only been to the show a few times, but have always been really lucky in picking up some choice GA material. I'll be bringing up some stellar trade bait (including pedigrees) as well, so keep your eyes open!

deathlok and innocuous, I'll look forward to seeing you in L.A. And Fuelman, please bring me some nice Centaurs... poke2.gif

STEVE

I'm going to Wizard LA. Is someone organizing a forum dinner?

Sadly, there isn't a lot of options in the area for dining. I know there is a Mexican restaurant nearby, but not much else.

Please, nobody suggest The Pantry.

IAnd I was GOING TO be at San Diego too but couldn't get a friggin room this morning making me think I might go to Vegas instead...

Methinks it's time for those of us who've been going to that show forever to create a secondary venue offsite...

I was checking into the availability of rooms and rate a couple of months ago and I just couldn't believe how high the prices were. 893whatthe.gif

Have they raised hotel prices across the board again for this convention? confused.gif

I was thinking of putting a room on hold, but changed my mind when I saw the prices. mad.gif

IAnd I was GOING TO be at San Diego too but couldn't get a friggin room this morning making me think I might go to Vegas instead...

I was checking into the availability of rooms and rate a couple of months ago and I just couldn't believe how high the prices were. 893whatthe.gif

Have they raised hotel prices across the board again for this convention? confused.gif

I was thinking of putting a room on hold, but changed my mind when I saw the prices. mad.gif

lou, the prices do seem high don't they? We're paying $240 a night <gulp>, but split 3 ways it's not to bad.

I really hope you can make it to SD this year....it's been much too long.

STEVE (p.s., don't forget to bring me some books!! poke2.gif)

My wife and I reserved a room at a hotel pretty far offsite (but on the trolley line) back in December knowing full well this was going to happen. We're on the Marriott waiting list through the con's stupid travel agency but there are few other hotels in that area that are actually worth the money IMHO. Is it worth paying $450+ for rack rate to sleep in a dive? I don't think so. The only hope for a room at the con rate is cancellations. CCI is WAY too big now and they only care about Movie Studio and Video Game money.

Steve, based on what you wrote about WonderCon I should check it out. I heard that not that many people have been going to it in contrast to the craziness that has overtaken the CCI. There were about 120,000 people at last years CCI, so I am ready find a new venue for my comic addiction! What about the Wizard is that worth going to? A friend from work told me that the Wizard LA was downsized from what it was when it was in Long Beach and that there weren't that many GA dealers. Erik

Erik, I admit I liked the prior Long Beach Wizard show better than Wizard L.A. last year. It's really up to us collectors and dealers to support the Con. I'm hoping they can be more successful this year.

WonderCon? Well, the Bay area seems to be a treasure trove for nice books...maybe I've just been getting lucky, dunno.

STEVE

I'll be at both but not the WC Forum dinner.

And I was GOING TO be at San Diego too but couldn't get a friggin room this morning making me think I might go to Vegas instead...

get a room in Tijuana and take the trolley to the convention center

get a room in Tijuana and take the trolley to the convention center
Not the same thing. I've been going to the SDCC since 1978 and have been getting a room since 1980 when I used to work as a gofer and security volunteer. There is nothing like being on site. Nothing. Although a lot of the magic has faded.

Man, the parties used to be something...the Heavy Metal/National Lampoon room party in 80. Oh man... cloud9.gif

Wait, what were we talking about...?