• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Art to Fine Art?

48 posts in this topic

I understand what you're saying. I just think that if the going rate for a comic industry artist rep is 10-20%, maybe I'm in the wrong business, because that sounds like robbery.

Noted. In any case, this thread is about artists who have crossed over from comic art to fine art (or "mainstream art") not what reps charge for their services. After all, we all know how you like to keep the discussion on-topic:

No offense intended... I'm simply trying to keep the discussion on-topic.

poke2.gif

Some good discussion here. This is a discussion that yields

some good points.

Tony DeZuniga: as a Commercial Artist (Comic Book artwork is work for hire)

he produces works of art that is Fine Art such as portraits, and exposes

the world to real environments. I can not say if he is pulling in the

kind of money as he did/does from his commercial work, but he does pretty

good.

Another of our home-grown (United Kingdom) talents, Patrick Nicholle, (following an earlier career as a comic-strip artist) went on to produce fine-art-quality paintings later on in his career. Not entirely sure if he was actually recognized in fine art circles, but here's a scan of an original that I own. The knight's chain-mail and the hairs on the horse are rendered in minute detail . . .

487kfus.jpg

Also worth mentioning, perhaps, is that London's Science Museum carries a number of Frank Hampson's DAN DARE, PILOT OF THE FUTURE originals on display in its main exhibition hall . . . and one of London's fine art galleries offers Hampson art for sale:

Chris Beetles Gallery

Chris Beetles has been dealing in the last 250 years of British Art for over 25 years. The gallery is located in Ryder Street in St James’s, London’s famous art dealing district. In June 2005, the gallery underwent a major refurbishment to become one of the largest galleries of its kind.

Every year the gallery holds its signature shows starting with our annual Summer Show, which showcases our huge range of British oils and watercolours from early Victorian to Modern British. In August we hold our Louis Wain and the Summer Cat Show. Our world famous Illustrators exhibition, the biggest event worldwide for cartoon and illustration collectors, begins every November and runs until January.

Please browse our website and if you have any queries contact the gallery by email at gallery@chrisbeetles.com or by telephone at 020 7839 7551.

Opening Hours: 10am - 5.30pm, Monday to Saturday

And for anyone unfamiliar with Hampson's DAN DARE art, here are several panels taken from original (full-color painted) art:

2cx9bur.jpg

Yoaka Amano's made the jump successfully, even though he doesn't have an extensive resume in comic art. The main reason he's a ghost on the secondary market is most of his best-known work has never hit the open market. He's also more well known in Japan, so what does get sold rarely winds up here in US collections. Lately, he's made strides to become more well known in the US, and even with the lack of a real secondary market, he's already sold paintings for over $40k.

Yoaka Amano's made the jump successfully, even though he doesn't have an extensive resume in comic art. The main reason he's a ghost on the secondary market is most of his best-known work has never hit the open market. He's also more well known in Japan, so what does get sold rarely winds up here in US collections. Lately, he's made strides to become more well known in the US, and even with the lack of a real secondary market, he's already sold paintings for over $40k.

Thanks for the set up! I have a lovely ink drawing of his for sale:

http://cafurl.com?i=664

and a more detailed photo:

http://cafurl.com?i=3380

And no, I'm not Mindfreak52 for you conspiracy theorists, but I do appreciate him bring up the subject! wink.gif

Edit: OH, Hi Earl!! Good to see you on the boards!! Welcome!

Here's a Jeff Jones I bought last year that I consider fine art. If it were a published pen and ink, something this size would probably sell for 3X what I paid. I prefer his non fantasy work too, specifically because it doesn't have the comic feel. It's also cheaper.

jjones.jpg

One of my favorite local shops was Dave's Comics. In the late eighties, Dave used a local artist to draw all his ads. That artist was Glenn Barr. Glenn Barr went on to do a lot of different art jobs, including work in the comics field. Now, he is a very successful fine artist. Few may know this, but Glenn painted himself in the Superman outfit below. I know he might not be known in the mainstream comic world, but he's turning heads in the westcoast "lowbrow" galleries.

1656049-barrad.JPG

1656049-glennbarr.jpg

1656049-glenn_barrphoto.jpg

1656049-happiness72.jpg

Glenn's Site

1656049-barrad.JPG.77267755ed5460d379043660b3836f21.JPG