• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

opinions on new teen titans??

11 posts in this topic

new teen titans and tales of the new teen titans

i'm thinking of working on a complete run, but was wondering what everyone else thought of the series. well written?

also, how was swamp thing (wrightson issues and alan moore)?

and did superman ever have a gritty, more edgy period?

A very well written series, and definitely worth seeking out. In the early to mid 80s, NTT was neck-and-neck with X-Men as the hot "team" book, though for whatever reason the back issues cooled off in the 90s and it's not as well remembered. The first four years of issues are all classics, and you really get to watch the characters & their relationships develop slowly over time. Plus these books are still super cheap! Go for these:

New Teen Titans (1980): #1-44, #50, Annuals #1-3 (it was renamed Tales of the Teen Titans starting with #41, but the numbering remains the same). My favorites are #28-44, #50, Annual #3.

New Teen Titans (1984, "deluxe" format): #1-5 (the very graphic Trigon saga that was the culmination of the first four years of the NTT)

Highest recommend. thumbsup2.gif

Jon

also, how was swamp thing (wrightson issues and alan moore)?

and did superman ever have a gritty, more edgy period?

I might as well take a crack at these questions too:

Swamp Thing is excellent... Both runs (bronze ST #1-10 & copper "Saga of the ST") are great, but I give the edge to Moore's run. My fave issues are #37 (1st Constantine) to about #53 (an outstanding Batman x-over, that makes you wish Moore had done many more Batman stories too).

For an "edgy" Superman, try the Alan Moore issues from the mid-80s... Superman #423, Action #583, and Superman Annual #11. Also, while not everyone's cup of tea, I love the early Siegel & Shuster Superman stories which are easily available in reprints (Action Comics #1 through about #40 or so). Superman had a definite edge in some of those stories (threatening to drop criminals in front of speeding trains, etc), before editors started toning down the character. The earliest stuff is pretty eye-opening if you only know Supes' "boy scout" persona.

Basically the book floundered once Perez left. Then Tales became reprints of the Deluxe run..

As for Swampy, Definitely get all of the Alan Moore Swamp Things. Wonderfully written books that are especially enhanced when John Totleben does the inks. hail.gif

thank you to everyone for posting. i'm gonna start working on the series soon, although i think i'm gonna start with tales of the teen titans since i'd like to get cgc 9.8 white pages copies and those seem to be cheap and easy to find. i'll buy a trade as well to read.