• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Crowley Copies - Pedigree or Time Warp?

48 posts in this topic

I agree with thegoldenage, the Crowley Fawcett copies are virgin copies whereas some of the Church copies have been read over the 30 years since the collection came out. I know a longtime collector here in southern California who was telling me he read his Church copies and he had some really sweet Action Church copies before he sold them! Considering their value, I was very surprised that he read them to say the least!

Iwho was telling me he read his Church copies and he had some really sweet Action Church copies before he sold them! Considering their value, I was very surprised that he read them to say the least!

Ah the effect of CGC... every book that is being handled will crumble to dust within minutes.... its the truth sumo.gif

If it aint slabbed read it, if its slabbed crack it! smile.gif

Yes,yes, yes.

The slab is best treated as a means of verifying a book is real, original, not counterfeit, etc. And it's nice to sell something in a slab because you know that people handling them cannot damage them. I've kept some in slabs, but never a book whose insides I haven't seen before.

BTW, I have found that when I offered a book to somebody in a slab, they are sometimes very appreciative to have a coverless copy along with it so they can read the thing.

Hey Batman_Fan, thats quite a steal of a deal that you paid for your Captain Midnight #43, a beautiful high grade pedigree copy without the obtrusive checking copy stamp that some of the Fawcett file copies have on the front cover. I sure would like to know how Wendall Crowley hoarded away this massive collection of his with two copies of each Fawcett book being stored away. I wonder why its harder to find the earlier books in super high grade in comparison to the later copies? I wonder if any of the books were held back by the family or the purchaser of the Fawcett part of the collection. I managed to bag a few of the really super high grade Fawcetts Captain Marvel titles even though I am like you Batman_fan mainly a DC collector. Looking thru the Heritage catalog there were some really outstanding Captain Midnight covers there that I overlooked so thanks for sharing your beautiful Captain Midnight #43 with us Batman_fan! Erik

If it aint slabbed read it, if its slabbed crack it! smile.gif

Yes,yes, yes.

The slab is best treated as a means of verifying a book is real, original, not counterfeit, etc. And it's nice to sell something in a slab because you know that people handling them cannot damage them. I've kept some in slabs, but never a book whose insides I haven't seen before.

BTW, I have found that when I offered a book to somebody in a slab, they are sometimes very appreciative to have a coverless copy along with it so they can read the thing.

I like my own books slabbed because I don't trust myself handling them!!

As far as the lack of early books in high grade, maybe there aren't any because he stacked them on the floor by door?

Poster: mattbird

Subject: Re: The Crowley Copies - Pedigree or Time Warp?

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do Crowley Copies represent the most PRISTINE (= untouched/unread) GA books known to exist?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

makepoint.gif