• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #38 - 1st Robin - thoughts?

81 posts in this topic

I can only speak for myself, and I am not interested in Tec 38, althought you are right, it is a key ( major key is debatable...not on the same shelf as Action 1, Tec 27, All American 16, Adventure 40, More Fun 52, etc etc ).

In my expert opinion, Detective #38 is a more significant key than More Fun #52, Adventure #40 and All-American #16.

S

Steve;

You might be able to convince me that 'Tec #38 is more "significant" than More Fun #52 or Adventure #40, but definitely not when it comes to the case of All-American #16.

Thank you, lou - I'm glad someone else said it besides me.

STEVE

I can only speak for myself, and I am not interested in Tec 38, althought you are right, it is a key ( major key is debatable...not on the same shelf as Action 1, Tec 27, All American 16, Adventure 40, More Fun 52, etc etc ).

In my expert opinion, Detective #38 is a more significant key than More Fun #52, Adventure #40 and All-American #16.

S

Steve;

You might be able to convince me that 'Tec #38 is more "significant" than More Fun #52 or Adventure #40, but definitely not when it comes to the case of All-American #16.

I say that simply because Robin is a far more important character than the G.A. Green Lantern.

S

Steve;

I say that simply because Robin is a far more important character than the G.A. Green Lantern.

S

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Robin more important than the GA Green Lantern? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Please explain Stephen....you are one of the smartest guys in the industry, and I just don't see it.....help me see

Oh please, show ANYONE in America a picture of Robin from Detective #38 and a picture of Green Lantern from All-American #16 and see who they think is the more important character.

There's NO WAY A-A #16 is more important, and that's coming from a guy who owns two copies of the book (and no 'Tec #38's). From a popular culture standpoint (the same standpoint that drives enormous Action #1 prices), the books don't even belong in the same conversation.

That doesn't mean we as collectors might not think a A-A is cooler, but no way is it as important.

Oh please, show ANYONE in America a picture of Robin from Detective #38 and a picture of Green Lantern from All-American #16 and see who they think is the more important character.

There's NO WAY A-A #16 is more important, and that's coming from a guy who owns two copies of the book (and no 'Tec #38's). From a popular culture standpoint (the same standpoint that drives enormous Action #1 prices), the books don't even belong in the same conversation.

That doesn't mean we as collectors might not think a A-A is cooler, but no way is it as important.

Robin is a side-kick.....the Green Lantern is the star of his own show 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

,,,and I'm speaking strictly as a collector,,,the American public barely knows who the President is

Robin over the Green Lantern to a hardcore GA collector is a joke

Robin is a side-kick.....the Green Lantern is the star of his own show 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Robin is the sidekick in a world renowned show. The green lantern is the star of a regional theater.

Compariatively speaking, that is.

At least until GL gets more recog factor.

Like I said, the current batch of comic collectors will happily decide A-A 16 is a cooler book. But speaking to the broad concern about the next few generations of non-comic readers and their impact on the long-term viability of comics as collectibles, then you've got to recognize which characters have entered mainstream popular culture and which ones are cul-de-sacs. Robin is clearly a mainstream character. And the Golden Age Green Lantern is clearly a cul-de-sac. As such, Robin-related collectibles are more likely to sustain their value over a multi-decade time frame than are GA GL collectibles.

Robin is the sidekick in a world renowned show. The green lantern is the star of a regional theater.

Until GL gets more recog factor that's how it is

That's a bunch of bunk...and All American 16 is one of the greatest GA comics out there....it would take it 10,000 times faster than a Tec 38, and I'm a Tec collector. Again, I don't care what future generations think with my comments....I am talkin' here and now, collector to collector...not what a school kid will think in 2022

Can someone who doesn't also believe Obidiah Oldbuck is an important character chime on this one? We need more of a quorum on the anti-Robin side.

wink.gif

OO is not an important character...it's an important book

Fair enough. All-American #16 is an important book as well. But Robin is a much more important character to American culture than is Green Lantern. Hell, I'd make the case that Aquaman is a more important character to American culture than is Green Lantern, and if he had been featured on the cover of More Fun #73 then that GA key might be more important, culturally, than A-A #16.

That doesn't make those books cooler to hard-core comic collectors like ourselves. But it makes them more important to 99% of Americans. And we're in total denial if we ignore that. That's worth a lot.

This is why sale prices of Action #1 and Detective #27 have been diverging away from Marvel #1. Rank these characters in order of their impact on popular culture: Superman, Batman, and Human Torch. Now rank Robin and the golden age Green Lantern on that same scale. I think Robin is clearly higher than the Human Torch, forget GL.

But Robin is a much more important character to American culture than is Green Lantern.

agreed

And I agree with you that I'd take an A-A #16 over a 'Tec #38 without thinking twice. I'm not sure if it's a wise move looking 30 years down the road, but the comic geek in me can't be denied.

Can someone who doesn't also believe Obidiah Oldbuck is an important character chime on this one? We need more of a quorum on the anti-Robin side.

wink.gif

Wha....?!?! You don't think OO is the apex of comic book history? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Considering the context and the target audience, I think the Boy Wonder idea was alright. It's the legions of copy-cats that start to become annoying... although I do enjoy collecting the Young Allies books. Too bad Whitewash Jones couldn't have been a Teen Titan. I still want a Tec 38, but there are a lot of books in front of it.

wink.gif

When the Obadiah Oldbuck movie comes out you'll be whistling a different tune.