• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing staples

32 posts in this topic

How does missing a staple effect the grade of a book?

It's amazing the mis-information you get on these boards sometimes . . . insane.gif

The grade of a book that has been manufactured without one of its staples is not impacted whatsoever, regardless of the grade of the book. sumo.gif

i knew someone would get it right if i just kept reading. thumbsup2.gif

I hope you're still reading, because here is the real answer. It depends on the age of the book, but for a silver age book, a book manufactured without one of its staples can get as high as 9.6.

They printed comics after 1975? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

None that matter . . . hi.gif

btw, who's that Steve-guy??? And what does he know sumo.gifinsane.gif

He's just some hippie with a ponytail and an opinion. yay.gif

yay.gifyay.gif Hey, did you see his Bob Dylan Greenwich Village photo? insane.gif

Thanks for all the help!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's amazing the mis-information you get on these boards sometimes . . . insane.gif

The grade of a book that has been manufactured without one of its staples is not impacted whatsoever, regardless of the grade of the book. sumo.gif

I hope you're still reading, because here is the real answer. It depends on the age of the book, but for a silver age book, a book manufactured without one of its staples can get as high as 9.6.

They printed comics after 1975? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

yay.gifyay.gif Hey, did you see his Bob Dylan Greenwich Village photo? insane.gif

27_laughing.gif

That was Borock? I thought it was the kid from Welcome Back Kotter who kept handing in the notes from his mother. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, if a book is missing both staples they qualify it. What I posted was for a book missing one staple.

Here's a book I just bought. a 1960 9.6 produced without staples and designated Qualified. screwy.gif

th_talv212.jpg

Here's a book I just bought. a 1960 9.6 produced without staples and designated Qualified. screwy.gif

th_talv212.jpg

That's no staples at all . . . which in and of itself is a separate issue, as the cover and all of the pages are detached. A slightly different story, IMHO 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So sadly, if you stapled this book with 1960 era staples it would then get a Blue label. Yeah I realize that you could replace the cover or interior as it is. Not a big deal on a low demand book like this but if it were a FF #2 that was this high grade and without staples, I wonder just how long that would last. Somehow its better without staples and yet still not quite original.

Falls into the realm of; you can always staple a book but you can't unstaple one.

Ed

OK so this is the deal then, just to be clear? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Manufactured without 1 staple = blue label

Manufactured without both staples = qualified label

Yes, according to CGC's "pattern and practice" . . . grin.gif

OK so this is the deal then, just to be clear? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Manufactured without 1 staple = blue label

Manufactured without both staples = qualified label

Yup. I guess a book with one staple is still "bound" and intact, while a book with no staples is not.