• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #29 Unrestored... How tough is this book in any condition?

70 posts in this topic

I was thrilled to find this unrestored copy 2 months ago...........the book is truly Scarce....maybe 1 or 2 copies every year or two year will surface, but usually restored. You may have to wait a LONG time to find an unrestored one. Heritage has over 160,000 comics in their archives, and they have only had 1 blue label copy ( same book sold twice ), and that book has graders notes of either glue or color touch - can't remember which.............and since glue and/or color touch are restoration, that means Heritage has never sold/been consigned a single unrestored Tec 29....a sign of its extreme scarcity.

1634194-tec29.jpg

1634194-tec29.jpg.91dff9e92930d65eb9a0f9747a26317a.jpg

What a stunning book, Showcase! I can't get over it. thumbsup2.gif

I don't know if its just me, but there seems to have been a lot of TEC 29's, 31's and 35's floating around this year on the boards (more 35's than the 29 and 31)... of course, many of these seem to be the same copy changing hands quicker than I change my underwear! (coincidentily, I have worn size 29, 31 and 35 underwear in my lifetime, in that order!)

I was thrilled to find this unrestored copy 2 months ago...........the book is truly Scarce....maybe 1 or 2 copies every year or two year will surface, but usually restored. You may have to wait a LONG time to find an unrestored one. Heritage has over 160,000 comics in their archives, and they have only had 1 blue label copy ( same book sold twice ), and that book has graders notes of either glue or color touch - can't remember which.............and since glue and/or color touch are restoration, that means Heritage has never sold/been consigned a single unrestored Tec 29....a sign of its extreme scarcity.

1634194-tec29.jpg

wheres the "boner" emotioncon? hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

1634194-tec29.jpg

showcase-4, what unrestored grade do you consider this beauty to be and have you or do you plan to have CGC review it and slab it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This book is in the VG/F range....back cover - very minor paper loss in one small area near the spine. If it were not for that flaw, this book would be in the Fine++ range...maybe even F/VF. I do plan to have it CGC graded shorly, along with some other not too shabby GA gems. wink.gif

I should clarify that before, when I said it seemed that there were a lot of copies of 29, 31 and 35 floating around the boards, that I haven't seen too many sharp unrestored copies like Showcase's 29 come through here... its just incredible!! look at those colors!!

can't wait to see the rest of the GA gem collection....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1634194-tec29.jpg

showcase-4, what unrestored grade do you consider this beauty to be and have you or do you plan to have CGC review it and slab it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This book is in the VG/F range....back cover - very minor paper loss in one small area near the spine. If it were not for that flaw, this book would be in the Fine++ range...maybe even F/VF. I do plan to have it CGC graded shorly, along with some other not too shabby GA gems. wink.gif

Sorry, this may seem like a stupid question, but why? jb

Beautiful Tec 29 you have there Showcase. I'm jealous of your copy. Anyways, I posted my copy of Tec 29 below. It's in pretty rough shape, but the front cover presents very well.

Picture011.jpg

Hey at least you have one. I currently do not have the funds to purchase one.

Beautiful Tec 29 you have there Showcase. I'm jealous of your copy. Anyways, I posted my copy of Tec 29 below. It's in pretty rough shape, but the front cover presents very well.

Picture011.jpg

Hey at least you have one. I currently do not have the funds to purchase one.

Yea, I am indeed lucky. Could be the hardest pre-robin tec book to get. As long as you have that goal in mind that you're going to get it, then it will happen. Just give it some time and you'll be able to pick one up

This book was actually the first GA book I've ever purchased smile.gif

Then its all down hill from here, as that looks like one sweet book!! Congrats! Just an amazing cover... I have wanted one since I saw it in the book "The Golden Age of Comic Books", which was published around 1977, and reprints incredible covers from all publishers except Timely. The cover reproduction of the #29 is really nice quality, and you see all the amazing detail and line work. But the colors are nothing like your copy or Showcase's!! Beautiful!

thumbsup2.gif

I do plan to have it CGC graded shorly, along with some other not too shabby GA gems. wink.gif

Not a stupid question at all Jon......

I only buy raw books ( with a few exceptions ), and have them all graded eventually. For me, it maximizes my enjoyment to have them certified, but only after reading them a few times, smelling the pages, and exploring them, etc etc ( I actually do read and enjoy them folks).........the CGC restoration check is unbeatable, the holder is top notch, and I virtually always agree with CGC's technical grade. I get more excited seeing my books slabbed then I do seeing them placed in Mylar....this may not be the case for many of you. It completes the book for me...its final journey...certification. ( plus I can always crack the case )

Additionally, unlike many here on the Boards, I buy, sell and trade....not just buy. CGC graded books are immediately liquid for a trade or sale situation, although I would rather keep everything. As a "non" rich guy, I have to always be open to selling or trading to get what I want, and my CGC graded books help me accomplish this very nicely.

So here are the 2 main reasons I prefer to have my books graded. If the CGC holder could never be opened, I'm sure my answer may be completely different.

I do plan to have it CGC graded shorly, along with some other not too shabby GA gems. wink.gif

Not a stupid question at all Jon......

I only buy raw books ( with a few exceptions ), and have them all graded eventually. For me, it maximizes my enjoyment to have them certified, but only after reading them a few times, smelling the pages, and exploring them, etc etc ( I actually do read and enjoy them folks).........the CGC restoration check is unbeatable, the holder is top notch, and I virtually always agree with CGC's technical grade. I get more excited seeing my books slabbed then I do seeing them placed in Mylar....this may not be the case for many of you. It completes the book for me...its final journey...certification. ( plus I can always crack the case )

Additionally, unlike many here on the Boards, I buy, sell and trade....not just buy. CGC graded books are immediately liquid for a trade or sale situation, although I would rather keep everything. As a "non" rich guy, I have to always be open to selling or trading to get what I want, and my CGC graded books help me accomplish this very nicely.

So here are the 2 main reasons I prefer to have my books graded. If the CGC holder could never be opened, I'm sure my answer may be completely different.

I can understand that perspective, but it sounded like the book was a "keeper" so why bother now. Anyway, it may be "generational" and where i started with the hobby. I understand all the reasons why to CGC and why they are in holders. However, in this "plastic age" of comics, I have set all free from their plastic cages. The books i have look just fine in their mylites, backing board and sure-locks. Anyway, congrats on the acquistion. Frankly, this is my favorite Batman cover. Jon