• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seduction of the innocent!

16 posts in this topic

Who has read it!

Me!

Who has a copy for sale!

Hmmm ... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I do have two copies ... my BTH ex-library one with the bibliography, and my extremely nice private-hands copy sans bib. Neither has a dustjacket. PM me an offer on the latter, if interested ... I could always use more money for Chicago .... grin.gif

Ebay has none

None right now. There's usually, on average, one or two available there per week. In all fairness, it's a pretty common book. (Now try finding a copy of Parade of Pleasure, though! I've seen three in the past two years of watching!)

Why the sudden interest in SOTI, if I may ask?

Alan

Why the sudden interest in SOTI, if I may ask?

Alan

Ive been reading about the business side of comics (Comic Wars) and this book made a big difference in the business of comics.

I also enjoy reading about he History of Comics nad this book is Part of it!

I have heard about it so much it I habe decided to try and track one down!

Who has read it!

Who has a copy for sale!

Ebay has none

I've read it. Have a non-library copy w/DJ but the first printing w/o the biblio. Interesting reading, although Wertham can be pretty dry at times. He really shines, though, when he starts describing the reactions/responses of children he has "interviewed".

Check out ebay regularly. A copy or two isn't hard to locate. Yes, it is overall farily common (that is, for its reputation) but still not going to be super-cheap.

There was a thread a few months ago containing a link to a web site that had the entire contents of the book in HTML and PDF format. The copyright on the book would have expired decades ago at this point which is why they can put it on the web like that.

Try doing a search on "Wertham" or "Seduction of the Innocent" in this forum and you should find it.

There was a thread a few months ago containing a link to a web site that had the entire contents of the book in HTML and PDF format. The copyright on the book would have expired decades ago at this point which is why they can put it on the web like that.

Try doing a search on "Wertham" or "Seduction of the Innocent" in this forum and you should find it.

I downloaded the web page, but didn't save the link. I can e-mail the entire book in HTML format. It's 5.38MB so you'll need a fat pipe.

Given the likely copyright issues involved, I'm hesitant to link directly to the website in question. However, if one were to perform a Google search using the keywords `seduction innocent forbidden comics' (no quotes), you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find. smile.gif

Alan

Given the likely copyright issues involved, I'm hesitant to link directly to the website in question. However, if one were to perform a Google search using the keywords `seduction innocent forbidden comics' (no quotes), you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find. smile.gif

Why copyright issues? Hyperlinks to web sites aren't any kind of copyright violation to US citizens, although I hear that Australia has some goofy law that limits your ability to link to other sites. Taking content from a site and sticking it on your own is illegal, but not just posting a URL.

Alan

I think the copyright has lapsed.

Ill keep looking for a while!

I think the copyright has lapsed.

Ill keep looking for a while!

The copyright on Seduction of the Innocent has definitely elapsed. That's why the web site in question has the contents of the book there. I would imagine Wertham didn't think it was a popular enough book to warrant renewing the copyright, or maybe he just felt guilty about what he did to the comics industry.

The copyright on the book would have expired decades ago at this point which is why they can put it on the web like that.

Actually, the guy who runs the site referenced above has gotten cease and desist letters from the Wertham estate, which is probably why he has linked to it in the manner he has. Check the website and you'll see what I mean.

Alan

The copyright on the book would have expired decades ago at this point which is why they can put it on the web like that.

Actually, the guy who runs the site referenced above has gotten cease and desist letters from the Wertham estate, which is probably why he has linked to it in the manner he has. Check the website and you'll see what I mean.

Alan

If the copyright lapsed while Wertham was alive or dead I dont think it can be renewed years later.. To little to late!

Where's the page where he talks about the cease and desist order?

Probably not on the website. Brian Mattys is a member of the SAGA (Silver Age/Golden Age) Yahoo Group and he mentioned it during a discussion there about two years ago. Searching through the message archives, I came across the following reply from him to Bob Beerbohm (dated 5/27/2001):

It would appear that some miserable sonuvapup on the RAC-M ratted me out to Holt, Rinehart and Winston... who claim to hold the copyright.

Bob, you may recall from the scholars list that I exchanged messages with Wertham biographer J.R. [name with-held for now] and he knew I was doing the site and that I held the domain. He also knew that we were 'on the same page'. As things progressed, I kept adding more stuff until I had almost the entire book and all the citations up.

(I was thinking along the lines of that guy who did The Golden Bough online, which is a masterpiece and great for scholarship.)

In Canada, you can copy all you want as long as you don't try to cash in on it, and that's only fair. Unfortunately, my files were on a

U.S. server, so I was a sitting duck for these trigger-happy Nazis. I shoulda known better. It was never my intention to undermine JR's project, and he knew it. In fact, I did all I could to promote the hell outta it.

I have no idea what happened to the new printed version of SOTI. Wasn't Dennis K working on one? HRW or the Wertham family may have decided not to publish, for some reason. Fred's been gone for some time now, it's been about 50 years since the book came out and no one really seems to give a [!@#%^&^] about the 'crusade to clean up comics' anymore. It's over.

Okay, so I was wrong about the cease and desist order coming from the Wertham estate. 893frustrated.gif It was from the publisher. makepoint.gif Guess my memory's not as good as I thought! wink.gif

Alan