• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Diamond Run??

10 posts in this topic

I'm hunting for information on it myself...the only things I know so far are that it's mostly Golden Age with some early Silver, and that it's not associated with Diamond Comics or Steve Geppi.

I own several of the Diamond Run Marvel Avengers books, including issue 4, which were marketed by Joe Latino, who lives in Connecticut. Apparently the original owner was affiliated with comics in some way, either as an editor or in some similar position. The original owner wishes to remain anonymous, supposedly.

Here's Mr. Latino's description from an email to me several years ago: "The (Diamond Run) collection is historically important not only for its size and condition but also because of who the owner was. The Avengers run was one of his favorite(s) and he almost kept the No. 4 book because he believes that it is the most important book in that run...the Return of Captain America was viewed by him as ...the most significant...in the Silver Age. This run was bought off the stand...and then stored for the last 35 + years".

I had a posting on this pedigree about 2 years ago, but couldn't retrieve it from the search feature on the CGC forum site. I know it's not much information, but I hope it helps.

: "The (Diamond Run) collection is historically important not only for its size and condition but also because of who the owner was.

So it's prominence is because of its owner who won't divulge his identity??

That don't make any sense.

Here's Mr. Latino's description from an email to me several years ago: "The (Diamond Run) collection is historically important not only for its size and condition but also because of who the owner was."

If he can't reveal who owned it, then that bit of information is of no historical importance. Facts have to openly exist before they can openly be considered important. Until the original owner is revealed, that tidbit is of importance only to Latino.

I have three of the Diamond Run Avengers books and at one point I owned four. All I can say from the auctions I have seen is that they all average around 8.5 to 9.2. They all seem to have off-white pages or better but all of the copies I own appear to have some minor tanning around the edges. All in all I would say you would rank this pedigree with the Mohawk Valley pedigree. Some nice books but mostly tanned junk.

Ericc123

I have three of the Diamond Run Avengers books and at one point I owned four. All I can say from the auctions I have seen is that they all average around 8.5 to 9.2. They all seem to have off-white pages or better but all of the copies I own appear to have some minor tanning around the edges. All in all I would say you would rank this pedigree with the Mohawk Valley pedigree. Some nice books but mostly tanned junk.

Always hard to judge the quality of a pedigree just by watching the examples that come up for sale; the best stuff usually gets locked up in collections for long periods of time and you don't see it publicly offered. I don't have specific knowledge yet that Diamond Run books were better than you describe, but the odds are better than even that you're probably only seeing the parts of the collection that major collectors didn't want.

If I judge Curator books by the ones offered for sale, it'd look like a junk pedigree...but since the original purchaser has been vocal about the collection...we know it's a much better one than the material available on the market would suggest.