• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on Bradstreet

11 posts in this topic

Hey people. I've kind of gotten back into the original art market after an 8 year break. I don't like to call myself an investor, as I rarely sell art, but I would like to buy stuff I like that will also appreciate over time. I've got a broad enough interests that I don't feel pigeon-holed into one, must have artist.

I met Mr Bradstreet back in the late 90s & was very impressed with his covers in person, but considered them glorified color guides. I realize they are called painted covers but they strike me more as beautiful color guides. Recently came across a site selling his paintings in the $1000+/- range & wondered if the more experienced collectors feel this is a reasonablee price. Am I off base thinking these are not true paintings? I understand "buy what you like" theory, just curious if there is a demand for these in the veteran art collecting community?

If it matters, I probably wouldn't consider myself in the market at that price (even though they would make some really nice display pieces).

Thanks,

Mark

Bradstreet creates two versions of all of his covers. There's a ink original and there's a painting. That pretty much kills the value for me, especially at a $1000 or so price point. I can't justify paying that kind of money for a piece that's not truly unique.

Bradstreet creates two versions of all of his covers. There's a ink original and there's a painting. That pretty much kills the value for me, especially at a $1000 or so price point. I can't justify paying that kind of money for a piece that's not truly unique.

This hasn't been the case for a while. He does all the coloring digitally now. You can contact his rep, Mark Hay (www.splashpageart.com) to find out if a particular cover has a painted counterpart or not.

His art process is a little different than most (again, you can contact Mark Hay to get the details). In the past, there would be three versions of his covers: pencil, pen/ink, painted. These days, it's just pencil and pen/ink. I've always preferred the pen/ink versions.

This hasn't been the case for a while. He does all the coloring digitally now. You can contact his rep, Mark Hay (www.splashpageart.com) to find out if a particular cover has a painted counterpart or not.

His art process is a little different than most (again, you can contact Mark Hay to get the details). In the past, there would be three versions of his covers: pencil, pen/ink, painted. These days, it's just pencil and pen/ink. I've always preferred the pen/ink versions.

Ah, ok. Mark still has Tim's old process described here...

I might actually pick something up at some point, now that he's not creating multiple versions.

Yeah. Mark does a good job of describing the process on his website page. It appears he is still doing the painted covers fairly recently though, as the last Punisher cover listed is painted. I also like his pen & ink work, that Jonah Hex Cover is beautiful.

Mark

Yeah. Mark does a good job of describing the process on his website page. It appears he is still doing the painted covers fairly recently though, as the last Punisher cover listed is painted. I also like his pen & ink work, that Jonah Hex Cover is beautiful.

Mark

Pick up the Punisher DVD and watch the documentary on Bradstreet.

It is a real eye opener as to what he actually draws and what comes directly from a photgraph.

I know I was more than a little surprised when I watched it.

Chris

I myself am a big fan of Tim's work. I have the prelims to a hellblazer graphic novel. For some reason his work fluctuates in price. On ebay and Heritage the prices realized for his work fluctuate from between around $600- $1200 for really nice pieces. As a long time Hellblazer fan I think his rendition's of John are the definative Constantine.

Mark

Unless I'm missing something, I think the last painted PUNISHER cover your referring to is #36...in which case, it was from the old Marvel Knights series (2001-2003), and not the current Max series.

I talked to Tim for a while last year at Wizard World LA. He did say even then that he hadn't been hand-coloring any covers for a while. I also saw the JONAH HEX cover. I was real tempted to get it. If anyone is interested in his stuff, PM me and I'll tell you what he told me about getting the best price for his art.

Unless I'm missing something, I think the last painted PUNISHER cover your referring to is #36...in which case, it was from the old Marvel Knights series (2001-2003), and not the current Max series.

Yeah, that's the one I was refering to. I don't collect Punisher so I was just going off the number.

Thanks.

Mark

There are quite a few Bradstreet Hellblazers that I like and wouldn't mind owning a couple, BUT, becuase of his creation style and the fact that there are 2-3 versions they just never made it to the top of the priority list. If only one version existed I'm sure I'd own one or two by now. Just my personal preference.

He still is a kick arse artist, regardless thumbsup2.gif

Tim's art is really solid (having seen all of the versions of Tim's covers Mark has). His pencils are usually a negative of his inks and they can have a really cool look depending on the composition.