• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a SA "In House" Comic Book Advertisement qualify as a Cameo Appearance?

8 posts in this topic

Forumites:

(I had considered starting also this thread in the Copper Forum, but will stick with Silver)

Should an "in house" comic book advertisement qualify as a cameo "appearance" per se?

- Avengers #1 came out sometime immediately prior to 9/63.

Tales of Suspense 45 has a full page advertisement for Avengers #1 and may have also hit the newstands approximately the same time or perhaps even earlier. IF TOS #45 did hit newstands before Avengers #1, could the advertisement for Avengers #1 be considered a cameo appearance of the team?

The Confusion of Gobbledygook #1

- For any Bronze & Copper Age collectors who happen to be around (depending on when you believe the BA ended & CA started), Gobbledygook #1 has a back page advertisement of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which for many years was considered their first appearance. Thus, the book sells for a great amount of money whenever it makes an appearance on the comic book market primarily because of the TMNT back page advertisement.

Why should the TMNT advertisement be treated any differently than say, the Avengers #1 advertisement, especially if the Avengers advertisement preceded the comic book?

Is this just an example of some arbitrary decision?

Is this just another Overstreet blunder?

bronzejohnny

Sounds like an Overstreet blunder. An advertisement IMO shouldn't be treated as a 1st app. If that's the case, there are a lot of other "1st apps" floating around out there. Devil's Advocate thought...the Avengers were all established Marvel characters, while TMNT were never seen before...

Good point on TMNT/ Avengers distinction.

Maybe someone can come up with a better example than mine?

Perhaps, an advertisement that precedes the first (cameo and/or full) appearance of a particular character instead?

I don't see an advertisement as a first appearance because the characters are not in a story line.

However, and maybe this is a little off-topic to your initial posting, I would understand the interest in a book that has an early or pre-release ad for a famous character, as early advertisements add to the understanding or feeling of the comic as an historical artifact.

As a wonderful example, I have just recently been re-reading Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #7 (May 1963). Inside were three pages of Marvel house ads that reproduce the covers of comics on sale: Journey into Mystery #103/Daredevil #1; Amazing Spider-Man #13/The Avengers #5; and, Strange Tales #121/Tales to Astonish #56. Does this make Fury #7 a more significant book? Not by any economic measure -- but the ads made a good book even better.

Dennis

Gobbledygook 1 also sells for a large amount of coin because of the absolutely miniscule print run, somewhere around 50 copies iirc. Although, without the TMNT ad on the back, I doubt it gets nearly what it's currently fetching

Advertisements being considered a first appearance is really lame, in my opinion. It might be cool to have one for some major characters (Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, etc) but I would never consider that a first appearance. If it was considered, then you would have take into account newspaper ads, magazines, and dozens of other media forms.

Gobbledygook 1 also sells for a large amount of coin because of the absolutely miniscule print run, somewhere around 50 copies iirc. Although, without the TMNT ad on the back, I doubt it gets nearly what it's currently fetching

Also the book is the 1st Mirage book, and I gather the first Eastman & Laird book? I'm not really up on TMNT history - but doesn't the Goobbledygook feature Fugitoid factor in somehow?