• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brave and the Bold #28

44 posts in this topic

Your WalMart example of Widgets assumes that all Comics are the same.

If you state that I saw a CGC GS X-Men #1 9.6 at 5 tables that had offwhite pages with prices ranging from $2000 - $4000 I would agree with your statement. Somebody is out of touch. And does that price range assume every dealer is non-negotiable? I still get the feeling that when people complain about my prices they think my prices are cast in concrete.

But if you are saying that raw comics are in the "Same grade" were priced all over the map I'd have to say let's see them all and agree that they are in the same grade before we look at the "Fair pricing model".

From my side of the table I've seen some of those "Fairly priced" books. Some are absolutely great buys. Some books shown to me make me look at the grade and price and go "hmmmm" (What about that crease or other defect I say to myself). Maybe they are not seeing the book the same way I am. Do I point out the defect I see and make the person feel bad or do I just be silent and smile and say "Nice buy".

I get the feeling that you're making the argument you'd make to an uninformed buyer who hasn't considered both the buyer's and seller's viewpoint as I think FK's done. I've read his posts in his NY Con Report (and his posts here refer back to that for context) and they seem fair to me. He cites specific examples and carefully qualifies his statements.

I know we have a long history.

I'm not singling you out either. I'm just responding to the "perception" of "Fair".

Many buyers have complaints about fixed priced dealers who don't discount. And having had conversations with some of them I can understand their business model. And they will bring up the point that "everything" is not negotiable. And as you've pointed out in your example many many more people are moving into that "WalMart" buying mentality. Yes, American's are very used to "getting a deal" and maybe the fixed price/no/miniumum discount model doesn't work for many of you but that "discount" is coming out of somebody's pocket.

FAIR is not easily determined. FAIR is determined by the person standing in front of the seller.

FAIR could be Overstreet price guide

FAIR could be a multiple of guide depending on the book you are holding

FAIR could be your interpretation of GPAnalysis sales, Average sale versus last sale. I've noticed some new games being played with GPA numbers. GPA trends, moving average, god forbid somebody dumps a book and changes the "FAIR" price a book should sell at.

FAIR could be the dealers database of recorded sales.

FAIR could be the last time it sold on Ebay which the buyer preaches as gospel to you the seller as if I spend all my time tracking Ebay sales and saw the book they are referring to.

FAIR could be the last auction sale of that item. Which auction sale I need to ask since the last time I checked there were multiple auction houses.

FAIR could be the FMV price CGC quotes you when they attempt to bump a book up from a invoice you've submitted. You ask them where they pulled this value from and a grader starts quoting you prices it sold for. Amazing that graders know more about what a book is worth than I do!

FAIR could be highly dependent on what part of the country you do most of your buying in. Would Starbucks coffee prices in New York be considered "FAIR" since they are different depending on what part of the country you are in? How about Gas? Could it be that maybe my prices are higher because I live in a high tax area and my cost of doing business is higher? Nope that's never discussed because everyone feels it's just a hobby. Heaven forbid somebody run their business as a business.

FAIR is also highly dependent on how people pay you. Factor in electronic payments which constitute over 30-40% of my transactions, the need to discount and expenses and I'm left wondering how "FAIR" is "FAIR".

You want "FAIR" prices yet the only way for us to drive down costs is pay less for the collections. Then we are ripped for not paying enough.

Lastly, "FAIR" doesn't necessarily have to be you have an immediate profit in a book you buy which somehow I think is the issue of the day.

Somebody had a load to get off their chest! poke2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Seeing the selling activity on these boards makes me question how many "collectors" are really out there.

I've kind of wondered too. The amount of churning I see is unbelievable. When FT's Mildenhall thread gets pushed off the first page of the Marketplace in the space of a day, you know it's crazy.

Just so you all know.

Be aware that there are two reprint issues of B&B#28. One was a givaway with a JLA Monoply game and the other was a giveaway which came with DC Direct JLA action figures. I don't believe these giveaways show in the OS GUIDE. And I'm not sure if the price is on the covers. I don't have one to look at at the moment. Just wanted you all to be aware of these books. Dishonest People out there may try to pass these off as originals. I've seen it done with DET #27. Just wanted to pass this info on to you all. hi.gif