• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some one at Newarama spreading lies about CGC Sig Series comics

29 posts in this topic

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=101249

Nate28

If you get a signature from a artist that you like and want it signed, then its worth something to you. If you are doing it to flip it and make a profet good luck.

But what ever you do STAY AWAY FROM SIGNED CGC BOOKs. They are scamming people.

most of those witness CGC guys are just buying up old cheap signed books on ebay and waiting for the artist to show up at a show they are at. Then they write up a certificate that it was signed that day and get it high graded even tho they never go meet the artist.

how do they get it high graded you ask? They are just paying off the guys who grade the books to give them high grades and you the customer has no clue that inside that sealed case there is pages missing,rips etc.....

You will see on ebay guys who have loads of signature books for sale. Those guys are witness guys and dont even bother helping fans. They just hit the shows run to ever artist they can, get them signed and throw them up on ebay. Ya think CGC would have those witness guys stationed at every artist for the fans to get their signature books graded, but they are just making money for themselves but signing it and putting it on ebay for crazy amounts of money.

So do what i do. If i like a artist, and want a book signed. I go buy two: One to keep in my collection and another to get signed.

Thanks for alerting us to this and responding to his post as well as posting the information about Signature Series. I'll say this, he has a rather vivid and elaborate conspiratorial imagination.

Well I am the Forum Crier

Time to get some bribe money set aside. devil.gif

Well, I keep leaving $20's in the middle of the books, but it doesn't seem to get the grade to go higher. Newt's probably removing the $$ before it gets to the graders. foreheadslap.gif

I was supposed to leave the money in the books when handing it to Newt? poke2.gif

Well, I keep leaving $20's in the middle of the books, but it doesn't seem to get the grade to go higher. Newt's probably removing the $$ before it gets to the graders. foreheadslap.gif

I was supposed to leave the money in the books when handing it to Newt? poke2.gif

You never get anything right do you? wink.gif

Well It sucks for you but i was able to get some nice new O/A Recently

I have wondered, though, if you have an ungraded book signed by, say Stan Lee, could you hand that book to a witness and then have Stan pretend to sign his sig over top of the unconfirmed sig and encapsulate it as SS? Technically the witness did see Stan, with pen in hand, move the pen over the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No Under no circumstances would this ever happen or be acceptible. To even suggest this is insulting.

As a witness, rule #1. Do it the right way or don't do it at all!

I told someone the other day as they were hypothetically asking me about whether a witnesses would ever do something like take a raw book signed elsewhere and get it SSd. My response was that the entire program is based on honesty. There is no signature that would make me or any other witness break that code.

To me personally, it would ruin every book I have that is SSd, as I would have doubt in my mind on any book.

Knowing most of the people that are big in SS, such as thecollector, comicfreak, svndst1030, Pirate, Alex, Kevin, Paradise etc. There is no way any of these people would even attempt to ruin such a wonderful program.

I really hope people that are not witnesses understand that it is a very strict program. There are guidelines that have to be followed and a paper trail FOR EVERY BOOK SSd!

I really did get upset even seeing what Ares posted by this person on Newsarama. Personally, it is not even an opinion, this person is spreading lies and the post needs to be removed on Newsarama..

Sorry for ranting, but SS is a MAJOR part of my hobby and to have people spit in the face of it for no reason really gets me worked up...

I have wondered, though, if you have an ungraded book signed by, say Stan Lee, could you hand that book to a witness and then have Stan pretend to sign his sig over top of the unconfirmed sig and encapsulate it as SS? Technically the witness did see Stan, with pen in hand, move the pen over the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Someone else suggested that as a "loophole" in the Questions thread.

No Witness would allow that to happen as pre-signed on the cover means not eligible for SS. No exceptions.

I wondered how Nik was getting those "9.4s" 27_laughing.gif

I told someone the other day as they were hypothetically asking me about whether a witnesses would ever do something like take a raw book signed elsewhere and get it SSd. My response was that the entire program is based on honesty. There is no signature that would make me or any other witness break that code.

To me personally, it would ruin every book I have that is SSd, as I would have doubt in my mind on any book.

Knowing most of the people that are big in SS, such as thecollector, comicfreak, svndst1030, Pirate, Alex, Kevin, Paradise etc. There is no way any of these people would even attempt to ruin such a wonderful program.

I really hope people that are not witnesses understand that it is a very strict program. There are guidelines that have to be followed and a paper trail FOR EVERY BOOK SSd!

I really did get upset even seeing what Ares posted by this person on Newsarama. Personally, it is not even an opinion, this person is spreading lies and the post needs to be removed on Newsarama..

Sorry for ranting, but SS is a MAJOR part of my hobby and to have people spit in the face of it for no reason really gets me worked up...

Very well put Jon.

My reaction to the Newsarama posting was very similar.

However, having done this for many years I have seen many people spit in the face of all sorts of different aspects of this hobby.

Certainly I've seen many people curse CGC because they don't really understand what it is, or the benefits it brings to the hobby. I've had many conversations with "spitters" at the CGC booth at shows and been able to turn them around to accepting that while the service may not be something they are interested in ("I like to read my comics!"), that it still serves a purpose for other collectors.

The same thing with Signature Series. I've always told Paul and Harshen that the biggest obstacle is always educating people about the process --- what it is and how it works. We see that here all of the time with questions about the process, can you imagine the types of questions I get over the course of a weekend at a convention? A lot of people don't understand the process and occasionally you get a conspiracy theorist who "fills in the blanks" and makes up their own scenarios - case in point the Newsarama poster that sparked this thread.

Very well put Jon.

My reaction to the Newsarama posting was very similar.

However, having done this for many years I have seen many people spit in the face of all sorts of different aspects of this hobby.

Certainly I've seen many people curse CGC because they don't really understand what it is, or the benefits it brings to the hobby. I've had many conversations with "spitters" at the CGC booth at shows and been able to turn them around to accepting that while the service may not be something they are interested in ("I like to read my comics!"), that it still serves a purpose for other collectors.

The same thing with Signature Series. I've always told Paul and Harshen that the biggest obstacle is always educating people about the process --- what it is and how it works. We see that here all of the time with questions about the process, can you imagine the types of questions I get over the course of a weekend at a convention? A lot of people don't understand the process and occasionally you get a conspiracy theorist who "fills in the blanks" and makes up their own scenarios - case in point the Newsarama poster that sparked this thread.

CGC needs to put up a series of small downloadable videos on how GCG works.

A new video detailing a different step each week.

Woud make people come back to site more often

Do you think the poster speaks like that in person. His grammar is amazing!

How could anyone now down Signature Series. The people I have worked with getting my books signed, Kevin and Kris has always been amazing and great to work with.

I have not worked with Jon yet, but I plan to sometime in the near future.

So whatever anyone says, you all have done a great job! Thanks