• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicsPRO Retailers meeting

3 posts in this topic

I posted this in the General forum, but maybe here is better:

Was reading a very interesting article on the first ComicsPRO retailers group meeting on Newsarama. linky

Some excerpts:

“The necessity of comics retailing advocacy is very plain to me,” said Root. In regard to ComicsPRO’s role in working with Diamond, Marvel, DC and other parties to make sure everyone can get what they want Root said “I believe win-wins are possible.”

“A voice collected in a voice with a momentum” said Kizziah.

Preparing for the meeting in April where representatives from IDW, DC and Whiz Kids will be there to listen to ComicsPRO members, the floor was open for the retailers to talk about some issues they felt were facing Direct Market retailers today. There was plenty of back and forth on all the subjects and some ideas thrown out. Issues discussed included:

• Late books. For series with severely late issues like Ultimate Wolverine and Hulk it was suggested that the entirety of the series should be returnable.

• The increased numbers of ads in comics, including the fact that when comic page counts rise due to more ads freight charges follow. Hibbs told the group that if a comic is solicited for 32 pages and it’s really 45 pages that’s a terms of sales conflict and ComicsPRO will have to talk to publishers about that, with the possibility of a legal recourse.

• The L.A. Diamond warehouse being two days behind the East Coast warehouse. Root suggested that one solution could be having inventory in one pile instead of many piles.

• Peets suggested Diamond should offer assistance if a retailer starts a second store, just as they offer assistance such as discounts if you open a brand new store. “It’s hard to grow the market with no incentive to do so,” Peets said.

• For “gateway comics” such as Dark Tower or Anita Blake, Peets aired his dissatisfaction. “Diamond and the publishers aren’t doing enough,” he said. “A postcard isn’t enough. They need press releases, graphics, something you can send to the local paper.”

• Peets also raised the problem of gaming and toy companies releasing exclusives to conventions. It was restated the need for ComicsPRO to make companies more of a partner with the retailing community.

• The discussion ended with the need to for ComicsPRO members to work together, including location maps and open lines of communications. “We can share that customer base,” said Kizziah. “If we don’t have that reorder I can send them to Brian. We’re not just in our own sandboxes.”

When the meeting closed, it lasted roughly two hours, it was clear there many items to discuss in April and solutions to work on with those on the other side of the comics, gaming and toy selling trade. Many of those in attendance said they were impressed by what they saw and said they were interested in joining ComicsPRO. After the meeting Hibbs was optimistic on what ComicsPRO could bring. “The fact that we’re making such great growth when we’re so disorganized, if we can move forward the ways I believe we can the sky’s the limit.”

I would love to see the faces on any Marvel or DC reps when they here this:

"• Late books. For series with severely late issues like Ultimate Wolverine and Hulk it was suggested that the entirety of the series should be returnable."

27_laughing.gif

I would love to see the faces on any Marvel or DC reps when they here this:

"• Late books. For series with severely late issues like Ultimate Wolverine and Hulk it was suggested that the entirety of the series should be returnable."

27_laughing.gif

It's true. For writers or artists without any previous COMICS history, publishers should require a certain amount of story in hand before they solicit. As good as UWvH may turn out to be, I'll be soured on any future Lindoff(sp?) stories - which hurts Marvel in the pocketbook ultimately(no pun intended).

As for the original post - I think it's great. Advocacy like that can only help. If I ever do open up my own shop, I'd definitely be a part of this group.