• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aren't Pedigrees usually noted on the cards?

8 posts in this topic

I have found some fairly new books for sale on Comiclink claiming Dallas Stephens Pedigrees for example:

Hulk 181

Registry Shows:

Grade Date 08/19/2003

Title Incredible Hulk

Issue 181

Issue Date 11/74

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 8.5

PageQuality OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

GradeText

Art Comments Len Wein story Herb Trimpe cover

Herb Trimpe and Jack Abel art

Key Comments 1st full appearance of Wolverine.

Issue Year 1974

Comiclink Lists :

INCREDIBLE HULK #181

Section: For Sale / Golden, Silver and Bronze Age Comic Books / Marvel, Timely and Atlas / INCREDIBLE HULK

Price: $1,295

Condition: CGC 8.5 VF+

Page Quality: Off-White to White Pages

Type of Holder: Universal

Degree Of Restoration: Unrestored

Pedigree or Highlight: DALLAS STEPHENS COLLECTION

Seller's Grading Comments: Wolverine 1st full appearance!

Item description:

Wolverine 1st full appearance!

Is this correct? There are more like this...

Most of the pedigreed CGC slabs I have encountered have a reference made to it By CGC on the card on the Slab.. I used another Dallas Stephens pedigreed CGC book to compare this Comliclink auction to and it had the note on it's slab, hence my question. I was mainly concerned since they seemed to be asking really high prices (seemingly due to the pedigree), yet nothing on the slab, and Comiclink said via email response that the seller would probably have a certificate ofr something stating something...

I don't own a copy of a Dallas Stephens set, but I know if I spent over $1,000 for a CGC slabbed book, it would damn sure be reflected on the grading card.

Hulk 181

Registry reports:

Grade Date 08/23/2005

Title Incredible Hulk

Issue 181

Issue Date 11/74

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.0

PageQuality OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

GradeText

Art Comments Len Wein story Herb Trimpe cover

Herb Trimpe and Jack Abel art

Key Comments 1st full appearance of Wolverine.

Issue Year 1974

Comiclink was auctioning last night:

INCREDIBLE HULK #181

Section: For Sale / Golden, Silver and Bronze Age Comic Books / Marvel, Timely and Atlas / INCREDIBLE HULK

Price: $1,200

Condition: CGC 9.0 VFNM

Page Quality: Off-White to White Pages

Type of Holder: Universal

Degree Of Restoration: Unrestored

Pedigree or Highlight: DALLAS STEPHENS COLLECTION

Seller's Grading Comments: This comic was part of the Dallas Stephens Collection.

Item description:

Wolverine 1st full appearance

So who do I believe? Comiclink, who is a known an trusted entity, or CGC Registry? who is also a known an trusted entity. juggle.gif

So who do I believe? Comiclink, who is a known an trusted entity, or CGC Registry? who is also a known an trusted entity. juggle.gif

Tomas and the other guys do try to vet what goes up on the site, even adding notes for important books missed.

But if the guy says it's DS ped, well he better back it up.

I have had the situation where a seller advertised a book as VF+ on the site, and when it came through for delivery to me, they didn't agree with the grade, and offered for me to cancel the order, no questions.

So first check with them, speak with Tomas, even get in writing (email), and you should be safe then. They are the good guys, and a firm barrier to getting a bum deal. EOS.

They are the good guys, and a firm barrier to getting a bum deal. EOS.

I agree, but my basic question remains unanswered... If a book has a pedigree and is also CGC certified, wouldn't CGC have noted it on the grading card as it has on most of the others, and then the Registry would also reflect this information when I do a lookup?

I realize that there are some exceptions, but for the most part.... smile.gif

They are the good guys, and a firm barrier to getting a bum deal. EOS.

I agree, but my basic question remains unanswered... If a book has a pedigree and is also CGC certified, wouldn't CGC have noted it on the grading card as it has on most of the others, and then the Registry would also reflect this information when I do a lookup?

I realize that there are some exceptions, but for the most part.... smile.gif

First off, Dallas Stephenson isnt a ped, its a collection. Big difference so in the registry, im not sure if they notate that it is from that "collection"

Dallas Stephens was a long-time collector who had his collection consigned through Mile High of all places. Since a good deal of the collection was purchased as back issue books, it has no chance of ever being recognised as a Pedigree.

It's plausible that someone bought a DS book from Mile High and resubbed it.

however, i personally don't think that there is any premium to a DS book, any more than one bought from any other collector

Most of the pedigreed CGC slabs I have encountered have a reference made to it By CGC on the card on the Slab.. I used another Dallas Stephens pedigreed CGC book to compare this Comliclink auction to and it had the note on it's slab, hence my question. I was mainly concerned since they seemed to be asking really high prices (seemingly due to the pedigree), yet nothing on the slab, and Comiclink said via email response that the seller would probably have a certificate ofr something stating something...

I don't own a copy of a Dallas Stephens set, but I know if I spent over $1,000 for a CGC slabbed book, it would damn sure be reflected on the grading card.

I own a Dallas Stephens book. There is no note on the CGC card because, as other posters noted, it is a collection not a pedigree. I did receive a certificate stating the books was part of the Dallas Stephens collection.