• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What vintage CGC investment area will increase most in the next 10 years?

41 posts in this topic

Time will tell. I think you will eventually see more and more copies disappear from the market! I don't think reprints will affect the value-reprints are never good enough for a serious collector IMHO! I certainly believe they will appreciate over time at the very least if not skyrocket! I think more big $$$ will come into this hobby as time goes by and these books will be very attractive as the finest horror pedigree available!

Horror comics are an interesting category. Is it not possible that general horror collectors (as supposed to horror comics collectors) will enter the comics hobby and seek out the finest examples of horror comics ever created?

Horror is such a broad category, colelctors often buy horror material from before they were born.

Vintage horror movie posters sometimes go for astronomical prices, I once saw an ultra rare 1931 Dracula six sheet poster valued in excess of $1 million. Last time I checked, that was more than a NM copy of Action #1.

Horror collectors have a lot of money to spend. If they ever decide that pre-1975 CGC horror comics are cheap relative to their superhero counterparts, they could drive prices much higher, as there seems to be significant room for horror prices to run upwards. Plus the horror comics had such cool covers from legendary artists like Adams, Wrightson, etc.

And of course you could make the exact same argument for 1950's sci-fi comics as I just made for horror comics.

Opinions?

Not that I disagree too much, but if you can show me a NM copy of Action #1 sell for less then 1 mil now or anytime soon, and I will buy you lunch.

I have to agree, I think EC's days have come and there is little room for rapid appreciation. I'm 34, and have collected my entire life almost. I have zero interest in EC's and probably never will. I like superheroes, I was raised on them and would never go out of my way to pick up an EC. Once the baby boomers stop buying, I can't see generation X'ers or Y'ers paying heavy dollars for 1950 horror books, that they have no relation too. Silver and Golden age Superheroes even though we weren't alive to enjoy these books of the rack, we can appreciate the historical significance of Superman, Batman, Spidey etc. and will want to collect the early appearances of our favourite characters.

Jim

Good post! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd have to go with Jim on this one. Sure there will be the collector's who'll be after the 50's Crime/Horror... but at what percentage? If it is a small one, will that casue the prices to increase? I think not.

My money is on late silver/bronze mainstream books in high grade. They are still affordable (for most part) and I don't believe that they will stop being sought after anytime soon. Which means prices go up!

John thumbsup2.gif

I agree with Johnny but our taste are so similar it's scary. crazy.gif

Excessive reprints always seem to kill a title...look at Duck books...

is there another more reprinted genre?

Remember when Four Color #9 was at or near the top of the

Most Wanted / Most Valuable List in Overstreet ?

Excessive reprints always seem to kill a title...look at Duck books...

is there another more reprinted genre?

Remember when Four Color #9 was at or near the top of the

Most Wanted / Most Valuable List in Overstreet ?

Uh, yeah, Duck books have just PLUNGED in value in recent years. screwy.gif

The weird thing about FC #9 is that it's one of the easiest of the early Duck books to find in F and above. Contrast that with 29 and 62, which are infinitely harder to find in grade.

Hi Adams

I don’t think there is anything that have climbed faster in value then the Duck books the last few years (Asm 300?) and you speak of it as the 1$ bin. They used to be grotesque underpriced in the previous OS as well.

There is of course a chance you are just having fun with us....…..but if not; don’t do any “smart” investments 

r

My money is on late silver/bronze mainstream books in high grade. They are still affordable (for most part) and I don't believe that they will stop being sought after anytime soon. Which means prices go up!

John thumbsup2.gif

I guess I would have to say that I don't share the same optimism as the two of you when it comes to this time period.

I feel late Silver and early Bronze mainstream books are far too common in grade to be assured of strong returns, especially when compared to other eras. In fact, you are probably just as prone to seeing prices fall back in this area if you are paying the current nosebleed prices for uber HG copies of these books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Census topping copies from this time period are especially risky since these will most likely be replaced or be joined by other copies in the not too distant future. It's not a matter of if, only a question of when. tonofbricks.gif

John thumbsup2.gif

I guess I would have to say that I don't share the same optimism as the two of you when it comes to this time period.

I feel late Silver and early Bronze mainstream books are far too common in grade to be assured of strong returns, especially when compared to other eras. In fact, you are probably just as prone to seeing prices fall back in this area if you are paying the current nosebleed prices for uber HG copies of these books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Census topping copies from this time period are especially risky since these will most likely be replaced or be joined by other copies in the not too distant future. It's not a matter of if, only a question of when. tonofbricks.gif

agreed thumbsup2.gif

Hey, I like Duck books...

However, other than Tim and some Euros, they have been propped up for many years by Geppi, the late, great huckster and promoter Bruce Hamilton and

less than 10 others in the United States.

Scrooge has over 500 issues....over 600 WDC&S...

..and of course the FC issues

are there more than 10 key books in all of these runs combined ?

..and in no particular order...(from memory with no OPG near)

1. FC #386

2. FC #495

3. FC #456

4. FC #9

5. FC #178

6. Volcano Valley

7. Mummy's Ring

8. Old Castles Secret

9 WDC&S #31

Forgot about them !

I remember them begging for comics in CBG

asking "to fill holes in their collection"

still...hype...promotion..call it what you wish...

Talk about H-Y-P-E..

Let's see now...McFarlane, Liefield, on-and-on-and-on...

Speaking of Cowboy Comics..

what'll happen to the value of

those old photo covers of TV shows that

fewer and fewer people today

remember watching as a kid ?

Hey, I like Duck books...

However, other than Tim and some Euros, they have been propped up for many years by Geppi, the late, great huckster and promoter Bruce Hamilton and

less than 10 others in the United States.

I think the depth of Duck collectors, both inside and outside the US, is much greater than you make it out to be. I'm not even part of the current price support, as I've been selling.

Scrooge has over 500 issues....over 600 WDC&S...

..and of course the FC issues

are there more than 10 key books in all of these runs combined ?

..and in no particular order...(from memory with no OPG near)

1. FC #386

2. FC #495

3. FC #456

4. FC #9

5. FC #178

6. Volcano Valley

7. Mummy's Ring

8. Old Castles Secret

9 WDC&S #31

Why is FC 495 a key?

Not sure quite how you're defining a "key", as your list seems to be a combination of "firsts" and also classic stories, but at a minimum I would add:

FC 199 (classic cover)

FC 223 (Lost in the Andes classic story)

FC 367 (Christmas for Shacktown classic story)

WDC&S 98 (first Scrooge in WDC&S)

WDC&S 125 (first Junior Woodchucks)

WDC&S 134 (first Beagle Boys)

WDC&S 138 (classic Cornelius Coot story)

US 36 (first Magica DeSpell)

US 219 (first Don Rosa? Son of the Sun classic story)

US 285 (begins Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck)

March of Comics 20 (Darkest Africa classic story).

What, no love for Cheerios Y-1 giveaway (Donald Duck Atom Bomb )by Barks and banned from reprinting? Seems as sought after and key as lots of the rest to me. Worth adding to the list? Maybe even Donald and Mickey 1945 Firestone giveaway, classic Barks X-Mas story and first Grandma Duck?

What, no love for Cheerios Y-1 giveaway (Donald Duck Atom Bomb )by Barks and banned from reprinting? Seems as sought after and key as lots of the rest to me. Worth adding to the list? Maybe even Donald and Mickey 1945 Firestone giveaway, classic Barks X-Mas story and first Grandma Duck?

Sure! thumbsup2.gif My list was definitely not exhaustive!