• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a color guide ??

24 posts in this topic

Does anyone have an opinion on getting original artwork hand colored? I think I've seen Steve Oliff having hand colored onto originals back in the 80's, and I think there's some real expert artists out there like Nei Ruffino whose hand coloring work adds the texture and dimension to pieces that make them pop. It's probably better to get a full sized copy colored, than the original, same with getting original pencils only pieces inked, right? Then you have 2 pieces not only from the collecting/investing standpoint, but aessthetically to put side by side to compliment and compare to each other.

Then you have 2 pieces not only from the collecting/investing standpoint, but aessthetically to put side by side to compliment and compare to each other.

That sounds like the best option to me a high grade copy printed on watercolor paper that could be colored.

Although I haven't ever read it here what if you were not happy with how the coloring job came out, then your OA page would be forever tainted.

From what I've seen, mid-range colour guides still get relatively expensive -- I was watching a bunch of Bill Sienkiewicz New Mutants covers guides and they were hitting $85 each or so.

I haven't seen any on eBay in the last few months of any type for less than $25.

On a side note, one thing I've always wondered -- what tools did colourists use to colour pages, pre-digital? It's not paint, or marker, etc. Sounds like a dumb question but I really never figured it out

They used photocopies of the originals and colored them with Doc Martin Dyes and a brush.

On a side note, one thing I've always wondered -- what tools did colourists use to colour pages, pre-digital? It's not paint, or marker, etc. Sounds like a dumb question but I really never figured it out

My aunt Tatjana Wood who worked for DC Comics from the late 1960s to the early 2000s was given plastic pint size containers

that she could fill for free any time that she was at the office with Dr Martins concentrated watercolor dyes. She would bring those

home and mix all her shades into many smaller glass containers. She also would use colored pencils and in some cases tempera

paint where opaque areas were needed.

Here is a link written by Adrienne Roy who also worked for DC about color guides:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Color-Guides_W0QQugidZ10000000001552849

Here is a link also written by her about 3Ms which some confuse with hand done color guides:

http://reviews.ebay.com/3-M-apos-s-and-Comic-Book-Color-Art_W0QQugidZ10000000001553128