• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age download site

57 posts in this topic

- I think Shield has a copyright to his scans (comparable to photographs) even if the source material itself is public domain?

- CDisplay files are actually normal zip-packets. If you change the file extension to .zip it is possible to open them normally and view individual .jpg files in any image browser.

Thank you. It's easy to sit back and try to poke fun, put I put in hundreds of hours scanning my collection. 95% were scans I did myself; roughly 5% were scans donated by fellow fans. Think of how long it takes to scan just a cover, the crop the image, the resize it, create the html interface, times 68 pages per book, times 219 books. Then you have really nice fine or better books that you pop staples on or get spine splits or pages detach during the scan. There's a reason it took over 5 years to complete, and a reason I'll always stand up for the work I've done. Just last night someone tried to sell my Zip and Pep DVD's on ebay - the listings were pulled within an hour... wink.gif

It takes tenfold more thought, patience and skill than copying and pasting global warming articles.

Still, website like this discourage me from completing all the other non-Timely and non-DC stuff from the golden age. If I do ever get around to it (who wouldn't want to read some Continental / Better / Centaur stuff?) I will watermark all my images.

See, the thing here is that the same law that allows you (or anyone for that matter) to scan & post those books is that they now reside in the Public Domain. You spent hours & hours scanning them, but they don't belong to you.......they now belong to the public. These guys used your scans. Are you upset? Sure. Do you have a right to be.......no! They're not yours to begin with. They've fallen into Public Domain. makepoint.gif

But that's where you're wrong, my cycloptic friend. Archie still has copyrights over these characters. Pep Comics still holds a copyright from January 1940. You seem to forget this title ran until 1987. They are my scans though, and I have every right to retain ownership of my scans. If people were scanning their own copies then more power to them and I'd have no right to complain about it. However, when you roll your sleeves up and put hundreds of hours of work into something and have someone swipe it from you, then you might understand.

Oh, and by the way, since I came up with the idea of putting MLJ scans on CDROMs waaaay back in 2001, I've since made quite a bit of money from the site, which enabled me to amass a nice savings account and buy more comic books. Don't hate just because you can't come up with one single original thought Fuelman. Now go back to your boring copy & paste of OTHERS people's thoughts on the illusionary concept of global warming... wink.gif

Just curious; How much did it cost you to buy the rights to Archie & Pep?

I mean, you do own the rights......don't you?!?

Since you've made gobs & gobs of money off of this copyrighted material?!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

" Archie still has copyrights over these characters. Pep Comics still holds a copyright from January 1940. You seem to forget this title ran until 1987."

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

- I think Shield has a copyright to his scans (comparable to photographs) even if the source material itself is public domain?

- CDisplay files are actually normal zip-packets. If you change the file extension to .zip it is possible to open them normally and view individual .jpg files in any image browser.

Thank you. It's easy to sit back and try to poke fun, put I put in hundreds of hours scanning my collection. 95% were scans I did myself; roughly 5% were scans donated by fellow fans. Think of how long it takes to scan just a cover, the crop the image, the resize it, create the html interface, times 68 pages per book, times 219 books. Then you have really nice fine or better books that you pop staples on or get spine splits or pages detach during the scan. There's a reason it took over 5 years to complete, and a reason I'll always stand up for the work I've done. Just last night someone tried to sell my Zip and Pep DVD's on ebay - the listings were pulled within an hour... wink.gif

It takes tenfold more thought, patience and skill than copying and pasting global warming articles.

Still, website like this discourage me from completing all the other non-Timely and non-DC stuff from the golden age. If I do ever get around to it (who wouldn't want to read some Continental / Better / Centaur stuff?) I will watermark all my images.

See, the thing here is that the same law that allows you (or anyone for that matter) to scan & post those books is that they now reside in the Public Domain. You spent hours & hours scanning them, but they don't belong to you.......they now belong to the public. These guys used your scans. Are you upset? Sure. Do you have a right to be.......no! They're not yours to begin with. They've fallen into Public Domain. makepoint.gif

But that's where you're wrong, my cycloptic friend. Archie still has copyrights over these characters. Pep Comics still holds a copyright from January 1940. You seem to forget this title ran until 1987. They are my scans though, and I have every right to retain ownership of my scans. If people were scanning their own copies then more power to them and I'd have no right to complain about it. However, when you roll your sleeves up and put hundreds of hours of work into something and have someone swipe it from you, then you might understand.

Oh, and by the way, since I came up with the idea of putting MLJ scans on CDROMs waaaay back in 2001, I've since made quite a bit of money from the site, which enabled me to amass a nice savings account and buy more comic books. Don't hate just because you can't come up with one single original thought Fuelman. Now go back to your boring copy & paste of OTHERS people's thoughts on the illusionary concept of global warming... wink.gif

Since you've made gobs & gobs of money off of this copyrighted material?!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

" Archie still has copyrights over these characters. Pep Comics still holds a copyright from January 1940. You seem to forget this title ran until 1987."

popcorn.gif

You assume, incorrectly, that I have never spoken to Archie Co.'s attorneys. I have and did, and recieved permission. I was even told they'd like to someday incorporate portions of my website into their own. I'd copy and paste the emails, but why bother? You're the copy and paste champion! Once again, Toolman, your weak circular argument falls apart. Either the comics were in the public domain (which they're not) my scans are public domain (which they're not) and I've scanned and published the MLJ comic books without permission from the copyright holder (which I haven't).

Strike one, two and three. It's a shame two people who love golden age comics can't agree on anything, but now I remember why I put you on ignore. Back you go - have fun wondering through life not having original thoughts or ideas of your own. You're a flat-Earth society card-carrying member, and methinks you've had way too much Algore Kool-Aid and the record snowfall and cold weather leaves you without a cause to champion.

27_laughing.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I think sending a link to this thread to the Archie lawyers would be a good idea. Lets really see if Shield really does have "permission" to make gobs of money of their creations.

In fact, I think I will do that right now.

popcorn.gif

You assume, incorrectly, that I have never spoken to Archie Co.'s attorneys. I have and did, and recieved permission. I was even told they'd like to someday incorporate portions of my website into their own. I'd copy and paste the emails, but why bother? You're the copy and paste champion! Once again, Toolman, your weak circular argument falls apart. Either the comics were in the public domain (which they're not) my scans are public domain (which they're not) and I've scanned and published the MLJ comic books without permission from the copyright holder (which I haven't).

Strike one, two and three. It's a shame two people who love golden age comics can't agree on anything, but now I remember why I put you on ignore. Back you go - have fun wondering through life not having original thoughts or ideas of your own. You're a flat-Earth society card-carrying member, and methinks you've had way too much Algore Kool-Aid and the record snowfall and cold weather leaves you without a cause to champion.

27_laughing.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Oh, by the way, I think I should quote these responses in case someone goes back and decides to delete earlier messages. thumbsup2.gif

Oh, by the way, I think I should quote these responses in case someone goes back and decides to delete earlier messages. thumbsup2.gif

What do you think I was doing during this whole exchange?!? makepoint.gifdevil.gif

After all, I am the.....

............... acclaim.gif

"CUT & PASTE CHAMPION"

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I sympathize with Shield on this, and can certainly understand where he is coming from but I think Fuelman is right legally. :\ I don't exactly understand all of this but I believe the right for you to scan the book and sell is the exact priveledge that makes it okay for someone to post publically also.

I sympathize with Shield on this, and can certainly understand where he is coming from but I think Fuelman is right legally. :\ I don't exactly understand all of this but I believe the right for you to scan the book and sell is the exact priveledge that makes it okay for someone to post publically also.

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, that's correct. It works the same way with music as well. That's why you don't see a great volume of public domain songbooks on the rack at the local music shop. So the questions left with regard to the Archie stuff are

1. Do they still hold copyright

2. If they do, does Shield have permission to use them

And I'm not qualified to, nor do I really care to answer those questions. I'm just glad there's a nice public resource for comics that are in public domain. And if the books aren't in the public domain, remove them, and there'll still be plenty of good reading on that site.

Im no expert either, but I do think Shield can protect HIS scans, or renditions of the Public Domain pages. He has "altered" them in subtle ways, but he has still left the original object free for others to do as they wish. Isnt this similar to DVD companies that sell PD movies? Ive seen the same movies released by different companies, I think. But they each develop their own packaging.

As for the MLJ comics that arent yet Public Domain, I can see how they would cut a side deal wherein Shield does all the work, assumes all the risk, and all MLJ wants in return for their permission is the right to step in at some point, or take a nominal portion of the proceeds.

Im no expert either, but I do think Shield can protect HIS scans, or renditions of the Public Domain pages. He has "altered" them in subtle ways, but he has still left the original object free for others to do as they wish. Isnt this similar to DVD companies that sell PD movies? Ive seen the same movies released by different companies, I think. But they each develop their own packaging.

As for the MLJ comics that arent yet Public Domain, I can see how they would cut a side deal wherein Shield does all the work, assumes all the risk, and all MLJ wants in return for their permission is the right to step in at some point, or take a nominal portion of the proceeds.

Didn't think of it that way. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Why don't some of the lawyers chime in.

And if the books aren't in the public domain, remove them, and there'll still be plenty of good reading on that site.

Yes sir. I've been having a blast reading some of these books. Anyone check out wonder comics 1 yet? I've always wanted to read this book, too bad it only lasted one issue.

There were two issues of Wonder Comics, it was renamed Wonderworld Comics with issue # 3.

As for the ring, it' is believed not to exist. Jon Berk answered that in another thread.

Here's my # 2. Lou Fine cover (1st cover IIRC)

wondercomics2.jpg

There were two issues of Wonder Comics, it was renamed Wonderworld Comics with issue # 3.

As for the ring, it' is believed not to exist. Jon Berk answered that in another thread.

Here's my # 2. Lou Fine cover (1st cover IIRC)

wondercomics2.jpg

I believe that the ring does exist. Saw a picture of it a few years back.

S