• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane/Twist settlement: finally

132 posts in this topic

....and juries give out these awards not lawyers. thumbsup2.gif

A fact many people conveniently forget...

Kinda difficult to seperate the two...considering the role of the prosecution lawyer in the 1st place. It's not like he/she didn't influence the decision or something. confused-smiley-013.gif

....and juries give out these awards not lawyers. thumbsup2.gif

A fact many people conveniently forget...

Kinda difficult to seperate the two...considering the role of the prosecution lawyer in the 1st place. It's not like he/she didn't influence the decision or something. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just as many arguing against it on the other side though....

This case was 100% because of the juries each and every time. I don't blame the plaintiff's lawyers because they're going to play to the only strengths they have. If it had been "Tony Twist vs. Archie Comics", Mr. Twist would be eating ramen.

This case was 100% because of the juries each and every time. I don't blame the plaintiff's lawyers because they're going to play to the only strengths they have. If it had been "Tony Twist vs. Archie Comics", Mr. Twist would be eating ramen.

27_laughing.gif

True...

Again I will offer good money to be featured as a villain in a main stream comic.

That would be a kick.

Chris

Who is this guy? Is he even remotely famous? He lost out on 15 million in endorsements because McFarlane used his name in a comic book? That makes a lot of sense. screwy.gif

He wasn't a very good hockey player...

This is a the sad part. Look at a 10 million dollar verdict, the lawyer takes between 34-45- percent....down to 6.5 million. The IRS takes half, now the final amount is down to 1.5 million.......

I don't know where this info is from, but it is at a minimum misleading.

Contingent fee agreements are rare, and if the written agreement was for an attorney's fee of 40 percent, the attorney would, in most cases, be subject to the disciplinary body of his state.

Its no wonder so many people want to be lawyers in the U.S. These kinds of ridiculous suits/settlements happen every day. Wonder how much money went to the lawyers?

Who cares how much money went to the lawyers? It was a group of 12 non-lawyers who agreed to award that money, and the great majority of it is going to go to Tony Twist.

And how do you know these ridiculous suits/settlements happen every day? I sure as hell don't see stuff like this every day.

This is a the sad part. Look at a 10 million dollar verdict, the lawyer takes between 34-45- percent....down to 6.5 million. The IRS takes half, now the final amount is down to 1.5 million.......

First of all, your math is terrible.

Second, how can the IRS take half when the top US tax bracket is only 35%?

And for that 35%, since Twist was claiming that the money he was awarded was to compensate him for lost earnings, shouldn't the IRS take taxes on it, since he'd have been taxed on his wages if he had actually earned that money?

Contingent fee agreements are rare,

They are?

and if the written agreement was for an attorney's fee of 40 percent, the attorney would, in most cases, be subject to the disciplinary body of his state.

He would?

Contingent fee agreements are rare,

They are?

and if the written agreement was for an attorney's fee of 40 percent, the attorney would, in most cases, be subject to the disciplinary body of his state.

He would?

Yes, and in most cases.

I'll expand even though your response was only implications. wink.gif

Generally, contingent fees are available in civil cases (less family law) where a client is unable to pay a reasonable flat fee.

Depending on the nature and complexity of the case, between 15 and 30% is considered a reasonable contingent fee.

If an attorney charges a contingent fee outside what is reasonable for the specific matter, he may be disciplined and potentially disbarred. Obviously, this is a subjective decision.

I'll expand even though your response was only implications. wink.gif

Generally, contingent fees are available in civil cases (less family law) where a client is unable to pay a reasonable flat fee.

Depending on the nature and complexity of the case, between 15 and 30% is considered a reasonable contingent fee.

If an attorney charges a contingent fee outside what is reasonable for the specific matter, he may be disciplined and potentially disbarred. Obviously, this is a subjective decision.

15-30% may be the norm where you are, but in California, 33-40% is standard. Our standard contingency fee agreements start at 33 1/3% if the case settles before trial, and 40% if it settles after trial begins or if there is a verdict.

Its no wonder so many people want to be lawyers in the U.S. These kinds of ridiculous suits/settlements happen every day. Wonder how much money went to the lawyers?

Who cares how much money went to the lawyers? It was a group of 12 non-lawyers who agreed to award that money, and the great majority of it is going to go to Tony Twist.

And how do you know these ridiculous suits/settlements happen every day? I sure as hell don't see stuff like this every day.

Sure the system of awarding these ridiculous sums are flawed but I don't see too many lawyers on TV arguing for changes. I had a eye injury years ago as a result of an improper assessment of the size of contacts that I should be wearing. Long story short I ended up scaring my cornea and my lawyer at the time said that if this case was in the U.S. I would have received 10 times more.

Sure the system of awarding these ridiculous sums are flawed but I don't see too many lawyers on TV arguing for changes. I had a eye injury years ago as a result of an improper assessment of the size of contacts that I should be wearing. Long story short I ended up scaring my cornea and my lawyer at the time said that if this case was in the U.S. I would have received 10 times more.

OK, but maybe he was wrong? I don't know too many Canadian lawyers who have a real understanding of what it is like to be a lawyer in the US, any more than I know any US lawyers who have a real understanding of how the courts work in Canada. Suffice it to say that if you didn't have any permanent and debilitating eye injury, I doubt you'd have hit the jackpot here.

Unless Todd McFarlane wrote a story about you in one of his comics, that is.... yay.gif