• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane/Twist settlement: finally

132 posts in this topic

How can a statement that says I don't know where this one lays be not true? Unless you think I did know and wasn't saying?

You said:

As far as taxes being due-most payouts from lawsuits and from insurance companies are not taxable.I was surprised to read,about a year ago,that some settlements are taxable,so I don't know where this one lays.

I was responding to the bolded part, which didn't look like it carried the same uncertainty that the second part did. Clear now?

So you are saying that most payouts from lawsuits and from insurance companies are taxable?interesting.

If we're talking tort litigation, yes. Damages awarded due to physical injuries are not taxable, but other damages (including emotional distress, lost wages, etc.) are taxable. There may be other kinds of litigation that we're not considering here where settlements are not taxable, such as property damage other things. In other words, if someone smashes into your parked car while you're not in it, a settlement you make for the property damage is not taxable.

So does this have any bearing on the suit with Gaiman and the MiracleMan properties? Will we get to see the last issue of MM (which is in the can and has been for years)?
Different lawsuit. Go ask Mr. Gaiman. I think he has a blog. smile.gif

"......I guess my point was that both percentages are taken off the total award, so the remainder is sometimes quite small compared to the award......As far as the tax percentage, 35% plus 5-7 % from state and local taxes...."

not exactly. depending on where you are (I'm not sure the supreme court has dealt with this issue, it might have), you either only get taxed on what you keep or you can deduct the lawyer's fee as an expense. the Alternative Minimum Tax might result in you not getting the full value of the deduction, however, but don't quote me on that.

If Nicole Smiths estate wins the case against the estate of her ex-husbands son,would that money be taxable?

One of the reasons they moved to the Bahamas right? poke2.gif

I am neither a tax lawyer nor an accountant.

Given that the old coot died what, 10-15 years ago, I suspect the estate already paid the estate tax, so I'm guessing her estate would not pay any additional taxes other than, perhaps, if she's awarded interest or something like that. And I'm guessing that would be taxed as income, not under the estate tax, but that's really a question for someone who knows all the nuances.