• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ten Most Underrated Artists in Comics

56 posts in this topic

I am shocked Don Newton hasn't come up more on this list! His run on Batman & Detective is just fabulous, and I prefer it to Marshall Rogers by far, and second only to Adams. Not to mention the array of inkers really added unusual life to his work, like Newton/Alcala, yowza! Thats tight work! His run encompasses every classic villain, classic storyline points (Intro Harvey Bullock, Killer Croc, Jason Todd, etc)...just great stuff!

Maurice Whitman and Lou Cameron.

And everyone goes "Who?"

I am shocked Don Newton hasn't come up more on this list! His run on Batman & Detective is just fabulous, and I prefer it to Marshall Rogers by far, and second only to Adams. Not to mention the array of inkers really added unusual life to his work, like Newton/Alcala, yowza! Thats tight work! His run encompasses every classic villain, classic storyline points (Intro Harvey Bullock, Killer Croc, Jason Todd, etc)...just great stuff!

I really thought Newton's best work was on his Phantom run, before moving on to DC. I believe he pencilled & inked that book & the work was just beautiful. Some of his painted covers on that run are still some of my favorite covers of all time. Really really nice stuff before he hit DC .

both wonderful artists, though I prefer Cameron... cloud9.gif

How about Whitman for covers, Cameron for stories? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll give you that, Whitman's covers tend to be much more dynamic and surely composed.

I only saw 1 of Newton's Phantom's, and it was great. His work for the Charlton horror mags was also really incredible.

I'm never had much affinity for Newton's material -- even though it was widely praised in RBCC. Can you point me to what you consider to be prime examples?

I'll give you that, Whitman's covers tend to be much more dynamic and surely composed.

I only saw 1 of Newton's Phantom's, and it was great. His work for the Charlton horror mags was also really incredible.

I'm never had much affinity for Newton's material -- even though it was widely praised in RBCC. Can you point me to what you consider to be prime examples?

p><p> Here

Don Newton

http://www.donnewton.com/images/phan74.jpg' alt='phan74.jpg'>

phan67.jpg

phan73.jpg

GREAT link! Everyone should really spend some time pouring over that site. I have always wondered how his cover paintings would have looked NOT published by charlton, because they did such a terrible job with printing. I would imagine they would have been stunning.

Sam Glanzman's work on USS Stevens (serialized in various DC war comics of the early to mid-70s) is outstanding. He injected a personal and loving touch into his writing and art that stands as one of the great unappreciated and virtually undiscovered bodies of substantial work of the bronze age. You have to read a few to understand, but his work will grow on you.