• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your vote for worst golden age comic investment since first Overstreet guide?

34 posts in this topic

It was around 1970 when somebody (Bruce Hamilton?) paid $1000 for a "mint" Action #1 - which got fairly big press outside the collecting field - I was just a kid back then - and while Silver Age books could be found at garage sales and the like, I never saw any keys, let alone Golden Age - a friend of mine picked up some late 40s DC books at an antique shop for $2 apiece - that was as close as anyone I knew getting a bargain on GA. No doubt some people scored GA treasures back then, but

it wasn't like today, when 30 year old comic books are available at every antique mall (in overpriced low grade naturally).

IIRC- by the time the third guide came out the 1-2-3 pricing stratas were established - and "Mint" included just about anything without color breaking creases. I would say that it easier to find high grade Golden Age today then it was in the early 70s. After all - many of todays pedigrees were sitting in someones basement at the time.

By comparison, here is what else you could have purchased in 1970:

Golden Age:

Issue.............................. OPG #1 NM..... OPG #33 NM

Four Color #10................ $125................ $1325

All Star #1........................ $125 ................ $17,000

Detective #1......................$125 ............... $56,000 VF

Flash #1............................$125 ................ $92,000

Looking back... if I were alive in 1970 with $125 in my pocket I know what my preference is!

West

Yeah but your mainly siting the biggies. Action 1 -duh. There are tons of Golden Age stuff that didn't rise very high. Flip past the Actions and you'll see them. BTW, I loved the 80s Flash Gordon with Queen's music. They need to do a remake like they did for Battlestar Galactica.

By comparison, here is what else you could have purchased in 1970:

Golden Age:

Issue.............................. OPG #1 NM..... OPG #33 NM

Four Color #10................ $125................ $1325

All Star #1........................ $125 ................ $17,000

Detective #1......................$125 ............... $56,000 VF

Flash #1............................$125 ................ $92,000

Looking back... if I were alive in 1970 with $125 in my pocket I know what my preference is!

West

My preference with $125 would be to purchase 833 fifteen cent comics straight off the news stand, making sure I grabbed perfect copies, cut my own backing boards, find a way to bag and seal them, and put them in a cool dark dry place for 37 years. How cool would it have been to do this with those Neal Adams Green Lanterns, Detectives, B&B, etc. A Green Lantern #76 would have a 30,000% return if you could now get a CGC 9.6 on it. Ah, hindsight........ foreheadslap.gif

The forgotten (undervalued grails from the 70's) are still sweet books, and very approachable now...unlike the other meteoric books. Enjoy the undervalued, unappreciated and thank the stars you can still buy them for a somewhat reasonable sum........they may not always stay there.

The forgotten (undervalued grails from the 70's) are still sweet books, and very approachable now...unlike the other meteoric books. Enjoy the undervalued, unappreciated and thank the stars you can still buy them for a somewhat reasonable sum........they may not always stay there.

Damn straight! sumo.gif

If anybody has an undervalued, unappreciated Feature Book 25 or Large Feature 5 they want to get rid of, by all means, PM me. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif