• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun 54 *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

75 posts in this topic

I would restore the book as it will not only enhance the book but it will preserve it for years to come.

The tape must go as it will destroy the paper eventually, You can benifit the comic book world by having this book CLEANED!!!!! as said before it will prolong the life of the book.

Just have a minimum amount of conservation work done to the bk. Clean, press cvr, reinforce staple holes & bindery corners. Don't recommend any color touch or ink infill as the more it is restored, the fewer collectors will want ooo.gif it in the future when it is time to sell/trade.

I'd guess just removing the tape is all you need to do right now. There's really no point in cleaning, pressing it, color touching it, etc...for now..unless it would be cheaper to do so while removing the tape.

Brian

Uh....someone correct me if I'm wrong, but after reading over the auction description, isn't the comic already restored? The auction states: "and on the far right hand margin on the tip of the spectre's cape there is a chip that was replaced about 1 inch you might be able to see it in the scan". It's quite easy to see in the scan & it is more than a "chip", it looks more like a "piece" to me.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

Since your plan is to keep the book forever, the answer seems rather simple: make the book into whatever you want it to be. If you like things in their original form, don't do anything. If you just want degeneration stopped, then do minor restoration. If you like a really good-looking book, do whole shebang. Only you can decide what you want. Forget the monetary value. If it's yours forever, it has no monetary value. Its value is what the book means to you. What it looks like is part of THAT value, not what Overstreet or ebay says.

-- Joanna

There will likely be residual (brown) tape stains by just removing the tape on cvr. To reduce the visual impact of the staining, I recommend a clean & press. Nominal additional cost since he will have to pay for shipping/fed ex costs each way.

Let's say I have the book restored....in any capacity.....and for some unknown reason do NOT send it to CGC for grading. Since I do not plan to sell this book at any time, the CGC Grade would only be for my personal satisfaction, and not to establish a value for resale, therefore not necessary. What would be the best way to store a book of this value? Obviously the standary mylar/polypro and backing board would not be sufficient. Who makes archival safe protectors, similar to what CGC sends your graded book back to you in? Or maybe I'll just shove a thumb tack through it and pin it to my wall wink.gif

And a quick side ? here...... Since I am new to this forum, could someone tell me please if it is customary to rate all users who post to this topic since I was the one who started the thread? Do I rate as they post or do I wait until the thread is finished to rate? I almost feel like I'm leaving ebay feedback!!!!! grin.gif

New Response from a restoration company.

Hello

Absolutely worth restoring depending on paper quality, .

I believe we could get ths to at least a fine + the fee would be appx $800

it is my opinion that the vaule of the bbok would be increased beyond the fee

, so it would be worth doing

This is only a very general estimation to be more specific I would have to

see the book If you want to send it , the official estimate is free and guarenteed lmk and I will send you the full details thanks steve

could someone tell me please if it is customary to rate all users who post to this topic

It is customary to rate the people who respond ONLY if you intend to give them 5 stars. You are absolutely expected to give 5 stars to the first to point this out to you . grin.giflaugh.gif

Phil

Wait until you know people before you rate them. Once you rate someone you can't change it, so you want to know how you really feel about someone before doing so.

Unless it's Phil, then go ahead and give the 5 stars.

-- Joanna