• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which books should have higher grades in the Census?

7 posts in this topic

I was just doing some browsing and was surprised to see that Action 252 (first Supergirl) tops out at 9.0.

I'd have thought something higher than that would be around.

Any other books that you'd have thought would have had higher grade copies?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

nearly ALL books in the census have higher ungraded copies out there.!!!

....especially in the non-Marvel DC arena. Marvel too, probably, for all books that now top out at 9.4 in Silver and 9.6 in Bronze. And for Gold, all books for which the Church (or other killer pedigree) copies havent yet been graded...

OK, I knew I was going to have trouble phrasing the question...

I guess I was taking those otherworldly books out of the picture.

I guess (as far as Action 252), I was just surprised that a key like that wouldn't have something higher than a 9.0.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

This may not be what you're after either...

...but I'm amazed that with (555) copies graded that there is still only (1) 9.8 DD 168 and it was recently graded.

You'd expect that there'd be about 10+ at minimum, more like 15-20 for a 1981 book that didn't sneak up on many.

I asked Mark Haspel for some insight in Philly and he offered that a great number of them have "cover overhang" that leads to related damage... enough to keep them short of a 9.8 anyway. 9.6's are not "as" difficult with (37) but that's actually low too all things considered... (6.6%)

One thing to remember about Golden-Age and early Silver-Age (pre FF#1) is that:

Most collectors of these books would assume that if they sold a high grade copy, they might NEVER be able to replace it.

Put another way, the collectors who have very high-grade GA and early SA collections, would only get their copies CGC'd when it is;

1) time to sell and

2) with the idea that they are not going to be collecting that book anymore.

Silver-Age Marvel's (and most DC's) can be found again if you sell one. That is not the case with a lot of older books.

Batman 428 - no 9.8s. Not at all hard to find in NM- to NM.

Batman 251 - no 9.8s and 6 9.6's. The 9.6 that I have now I didn't submit, but just looking at the front could be a resub. (Although why chance it).

Bruce, that's a really interesting case with the DD 168. I read the reprint, but have never seen an original issue . . .

DAM