• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYC Comic Con report, a Canadian perspective

28 posts in this topic

My first visit to NYC and I loved it. Close to 75,000 estimated attendance in just its 2nd year.

Thursday:

The Best Western hotel was scary being next to Hell's Kitchen/Clinton area. Good thing greggy and I grew up near the poorest postal code in Canada so we felt just like home stalking the streets at night. The sight of piles of garbage/recycling and the smell of human urine filled the streets.

The hotel was a short walk to the Javits as we hopped over mounds of horse poop dropped by the horses that pulled carriages for the romantic tourists. At least we could see the con center outside our window:

P2220070.jpg

We were lucky enough to hook up with Harley who was generous enough to get our group dealer's passes for Friday. thumbsup2.gif

Friday after the continental breakfast, we raced down to Javits. There was already a line up of 85 ppl for the 75 tickets for Stan Lee signing by 11:00 a.m. Tix were to be handed out at 3:00 pm for 4:00 pm signing by Stan. General public not even allowed in til 4:00 pm Friday.

DC booth next to front entrance of Comic Con:

P2230082.jpg

My buddy ed with comic painted car in foyer:

P2230075.jpg

Another booth selling framed prints, ltd editions:

P2230078.jpg

1/2 of Anthony's Collectibles wall display at the back corner of the con. Oops, Romita Sr 1st Mary Jane Amaz Spidey # 59 cover art was on the other rack:

P2230085.jpg

Marvel booth heavily promoting FF 2 movie:

P2230086.jpg

Artist alley upstairs with Golden drawing sketches for $140:

P2230091.jpg

Have to applaud Chris Caira for controlling the hordes in front of Bolland who was able to finish about 23 pen/ink illos in 2.5 days of the con! Incredible output equal to or greater than Adam Hughes sketching. Feel sorry for some of Bolland's fans who lined up for 3.5 hrs to be #1 on the sketch list but NOT guaranteed to have sketch drawn as list was capped at 20/day of con, and Bolland would choose at random which character he was in the mood to illustrate that day.

aardvark88 makes a donation to HERO Initiative via penciller/painter Greg Horn (Elektra, White Queen):

P2230090.jpg

My camera ran out of power, so I was unable to take pics at Friday Cgc forum dinner. Stv Borock, Tom Gordon and Mark Haspel's table was pretty well full, so we decided to dine with the hi-rollers in the corner: CaptainTripps (Doug), GhostTown, MutantKeys. Serpico with wife later, and Hari Naidu (nighthawk) with his art collecting buddy from France (not ParisFred) sat near our corner at Dallas BBQ. Good food, reasonable prices. All 2 floors were packed Friday night!

Thursday, we already saw the MET Museum -- surprised they allowed fans to take indoor pics of the HUGE Jackson Pollack painting, Picassos, Tiepolo pencil drawings, Ruebens oils, etc.

Saturday I expected crazy crowds at comic con so I visited the Strand Bookshop which is known for 18 milos du livro (18 miles of used and new books, Sothebys catalogs). I asked for permission to take a pic of their golden vault with their hi-end antiquarian treasures but was denied as greggy was not with me, so I did not have street cred.

P2240099.jpg

Hopped on subway to Guggenheim. Lots of Picasso, Kandinsky, and Salvadore Dali!

P2240100.jpg

Ran back to comic con around 7:00 pm when Jim Lee and Wilce Portacio both appeared at Wildstorm booth:

P2240106.jpg

Wilce does a freebie sketch for aardvark88:

P2250112.jpg893applaud-thumb.gif

Also, on the Thursday we visited Hard Rock Cafe and went upstairs to Mid-town Comics 2 floor shop. Lots to do once u figure out the subway system.

Sunday, I dropped off some hi-end original comic art for next cLink May/07 auction at Harley's booth that was picked up by cLink staff Douglas and Tomis Erb.

NY comic con was great but not a zoo like San Diego. Roy Thomas could not attend even though his name was at a table.

Nice mix of artist/painters like Mr and Mrs Gene Colan, Bob Layton, Jose Garcia-Lopez (DC Comics Presents), Walt Simonson, Luis Dominguez (Jonah Hex), Ken Kelly:

P2240107.jpg

Support independent press comics like David Petersen's Mouse Guard #6:

P2240108.jpg

Gary Coleman was not at his booth yet Sunday morning, so I missed out on shelling out $25 for his signature.

Ed at Geppi Museum display of vintage collectibles:

P2240110.jpg

Sunday, I dropped off some hi-end original comic art for next cLink May/07 auction at Harley's booth that was picked up by cLink staff Douglas and Erb.

O/A? What did ya set them up to Sell?

If it was Green Lantern i'll die.....

Well no i wont

Support independent press comics like David Petersen's Mouse Guard #6:

P2240108.jpg

He looks like AlexH

greggy stayed at comic con all 3 days. On Sunday, I visited the 3 day Antiquarian Book Fair in Greenwich Village. Only happens once a yr. Had about 100 dealers tables with 58 separate vendors spread out over 2 floors.

I did not buy a single comic at NY comicon. Found the Antiquarian Fair much more interesting as I bought a Gustave Dore 100 bible illos h/c book circa 1890s. Also saw a late 1960s Peter Max of NY poster.

For comicwiz:

Part of the loot I bought at Portland, OR comicon 1 week before NYC con. Note: very early UG reference in Life mag from Sept. 1, 1967. Large pic of psychadelic Peter Max is in lower right hand corner; underground artiste Victor Moscoco is larger pic at lower left side:

P2270114.jpg

Overall, a great balanced NYC vacation for our Canadian group with a fine ending.

P2240103.jpg

yay.gif

Ares,

I did not consign any Green Lantern original art with cLink. I have a Neal Adams Avengers splash art locked up tight in my Vault.

I found the vast majority of New Yawkers friendly unlike my impression from Fischler 20 years ago at San Diego comic-con.

We had lunch at Popeye's Chicken as it is not readily available in Western Canada.

As we were dining with greggy, I had to upgrade from my regular subsistence diet of the Taco Bell Super Value meal at $1.29 to Chipotle Mexican (ex-MacDonald's chain also not available in Canada). headbang.gif

greggy stayed at comic con all 3 days. On Sunday, I visited the 3 day Antiquarian Book Fair in Greenwich Village. Only happens once a yr. Had about 100 dealers tables with 58 separate vendors spread out over 2 floors.

I did not buy a single comic at NY comicon. Found the Antiquarian Fair much more interesting as I bought a Gustave Dore 100 bible illos h/c book circa 1890s. Also saw a late 1960s Peter Max of NY poster.

For comicwiz:

Part of the loot I bought at Portland, OR comicon 1 week before NYC con. Note: very early UG reference in Life mag from Sept. 1, 1967. Large pic of psychadelic Peter Max is in lower right hand corner; underground artiste Victor Moscoco is larger pic at lower left side:

P2270114.jpg

Overall, a great balanced NYC vacation for our Canadian group with a fine ending.

P2240103.jpg

yay.gif

Great report Allan! Awesome pics, makes me wish I could have been there... NY looks like a great place to visit at this time of year!

That UG reference in Life and the mag layout is just superb!

What's it going to set me back? grin.gif