• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie #1 reprint

44 posts in this topic

Well that was a frustrating and sad hour of my life. I drove to 2 supermarkets, a bookstore, two convenient stores and couldn't find a copy anywhere. Only the mega bookstore had a couple of comics and digests.

When I was a kid (10 years old in 1983) I bought every issue of Archie off the stands from multiple stores. Anyone know where I can find a copy short of a comic store in central Ohio?

frown.gif

Of course, my ebay search yields only one result. yeahok.gifyeahok.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARCHIE-DIGEST-236-JU...VQQcmdZViewItem

I regret to say but this is NOT a safe for work link...

Here I was reminiscing about my youth about buying Archie comics, telling my wife "Well maybe it's on ebay".

Next thing she says is "Why is her butt so shiny?"

Sad, but a true story. screwy.gifyeahok.gif

I haven't found mine yet, but I live in the sticks and haven't searched very hard. I wouldn't panic, it's only a comic book. I'll try to buy a few when I find them in case others miss out. As far as the new board design goes....I'm sure we'll get use to it...but I'm an old fart and hate change.

I bought it from Lone Star Comics' website but I haven't seen a copy in any store yet.

I checked Border's today and they did not have that issue. Lots of the latest Pals and Gals digest. It's hard to believe that it's selling out that quickly.

I just found a copy at my LCS. They had 1 copy of this issue and 1 copy of the new B&V Double Digest with the third segment of the "reality" art bad boy story.

It looks a little different from the prepublication images:

z-a-digest236.jpg

By the way, what did everyone think of the new realistic art style for B&V?

I didn't find the covers that appealing but I liked the interior art. The story was reminiscent of an old Betty and Me story when she dated the "bad boy."

I don't read or buy many of the new Archie comics but I enjoy a change of pace like this from time to time.

It hasn't shown up here yet, I wouldn't worry. We usually get our Archies just a week before Archies posted on sale date, so that would be next Tuesday! Ask your local LCS to order one from Diamond for you, usually Diamond has more and it usually only takes a week!

Archie is giving away copies at San Diego Comic-con!

I like the art in the new style, its very interesting but I haven't cared for the story so far...

:)

We got our copies today (Coliseum of Comics, Orlando) So most comic stores should have it for sale tomorrow, book stores and such probably not until next week.

Don't know how a couple of you got it so early!

I would like to hear what you all think of the Archie meets Archie story!

When I was in New York, Victor Gorelick told me they had to reletter the whole issue (Archie #1)

I ordered one on ebay on the 13th which I still haven't recieved and as luck would have it they've showed up at the local supermarket so I picked it up. The Archie 1 reprint appears to be intact, with the dream sequence at the end unchanged. The new story at the back of the book was incredibly lame, especially when you compare it with all the Montana reprint stuff in the digest. They just don't make them the way they used to is so true, especially when it comes to Archie. The early forties and the late fifties and early sixties were extraordinary times for the gang from Riverdale. This digest is definately worth getting, just to be able to read Archie one without fear of damaging a real copy. It also reprints the 1st story from Pep 22, but that been reprinted before, a couple of stories in Archie 1 haven't been reprinted, I believe, although two of them have.

I greatly enjoyed the Archie reprint stories from the 1940s. This anniversary edition was distributed early at SDCC at the Archie booth. The digest front cover was drawn by the same artist as the new back up story. :whatev:

Missed the distribution at SDCC, but picked this up yesterday from a local book store.

The new story was somewhat underwhelming, but I really enjoyed the reprints (great stuff).

The editor asks if we'd like to see more GA Archie reprints; I say "yes".

Apparently a lot of people weren't able to get a copy... according to this Archie Comics press release dated 08-23-07, you can get it directly from them for cover price. Don't know how much shipping is, but if you're still hankering for a copy it may be worth it to go this route.

Incidentally, the press release has an interesting comment:

Keep in mind that the values and comedic traditions in 1942 are not the same as they are in 2007; some stories although historically significant do not reflect the culture and values of Archie Comics Publications and are only presented for their historical value.

Apparently a lot of people weren't able to get a copy...

Well, I picked up my copy from the supermarket the other week as they get their books later than the comic shops. They must have just gotten them in since there were about 8 copies there all in minty fresh condition. :takeit:

Didn't even have to pay any money for the book and even got change back after returning some empty bottles and cans to the store. :banana:

Incidentally, the press release has an interesting comment:

Quote:

Keep in mind that the values and comedic traditions in 1942 are not the same as they are in 2007; some stories although historically significant do not reflect the culture and values of Archie Comics Publications and are only presented for their historical value.

They got a complaint about the porter character in 'train trouble' I can't believe people complain about this stuff! It wasn't evan an insult then!

Coming soon Archie story from Pep #22, the entire contents of Archie #1 plus a new story where 2007 Archie meets 1941 Archie!

Just thought of something here! hm

They probably should have included the story from Jackpot Comics #4 and you would gotten the whole thing in one package. :cloud9:

It's a bit of a shame that the Jackpot run seems to almost be the forgotten ugly step child in this trio of books.