• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super-Con in San Jose

31 posts in this topic

Thanks for articulating my feelings exactly, CW. You beat me to it!

I also believe that if you want something like this to succeed, you have to help it along. Everyone's time is valuable and no one wants to lose money-- that's a given. But we all need to take a long-term view here-- how many times have we heard (or kvetched ourselves), "Why aren't there more shows in the Bay Area?". Well, here's one now. And it's an ambitious one, too. Any comics fan who's lived in the Bay Area the last 15 years knows what a drought it's been for shows outside of WonderCon. I'm not taking this one for granted.

My hope is that Super-Con will replicate the old Oakland WonderCon: A comics-oriented show with lots of top-level creators and a good-size dealer room. The Steves have done the first part. I believe there will be enough dealers to do the rest. Super-Con is just about there and after only two years. A throwback to the original WonderCon...how cool would that be?

No offense... but I've been doing Steve's shows for years. I did them in Hayward and in San Jose multiple times. I've done Sacramento for 3-4 years as well. I even did the first Golden State Con. I also did the show Steve set up that was across from the APE (which, in the end, was not a good idea) For the larger shows, I've done WonderCon twice and San Diego once.

And, yes, I'm not a full-time dealer.

This isn't about supporting local shows... I show up at shows. I've supported a lot of shows over the years. I buy a lot of comics. I give away a lot of comics. I sell a lot of comics below other dealers' pricing... ;-)

I'm just trying to point out that certain basic business practices are necessary to doing a good show.

For instance, when WonderCon came around.. I went around to various comic shops and I DID NOT SEE them selling tickets. Some of them DID NOT EVEN ADVERTISE for WonderCon. If you're trying to drum up support for local conventions, you might want to contact your local comic shop.

And I still have yet to see a Boy Scout at a convention!

I remember walking in to my first Wondercon with my father in tow and seeing all of those comics for the first time. I remember seeing a huge line to the artists booths and seeing a sign that read Jim Lee and thinking 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm what a novel idea. They have comic pros here! The feeling of enjoyment I got from that con experience was priceless.

Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age but I would pay far more than I am now to relive that experience.

Nexus has it right (IMO), people complain that there aren't enough good cons in the Bay area and those that do suceed are either to small or not comic oriented. Now's the chance to do something about it. If the promoters will stay true to the idea they seem to have of Comics and Comic Creators I will keep setting up. I am not a big dealer or someone that people recognize on the retailer list, I am about as small timme as it gets but I will do what I can to support the cause because I believe in it.

Granted Some of Mr Wyatt's smaller shows have had small turnouts and less than stellar advertising but he now has at least 2 more people in the mix. If they could start a gorilla ad campaign for this show ASAP I feel they could get the place packed. They certainly have the substance in place. The only deficit I see is the ad campaign. They should be on these boards posting it. Don't wait until April 25th start now get the hype up. Hasn't anyone seen the Blues Brothers for God's sake! Hit the streets.

Sckao,

No one is questioning your support of shows and your great deals. You are a very high class seller and a good person. I mean that with the utmost sincerity as you have helped me on numerous occasions. It is just a matter of the logic of waiting for something to pick up speed before you jump on. I totally respect your opinion. Most of the big dealers think this way and in doing so no one wants to be the first guy to come back for a second or third time. I do however disagree with it. This loop of logic is what can kill a show like this. Everyone expects resounding success right off the bat but I doubt it ever happens that way until, like me, you wait until year 20 whatever of Wondercon and get on an established event. As a rhetorical question, do you own stocks or any kind of risky investment for that matter? If so then certainly you can appreciate investing in the little guy for hopes that he will grow into the big player of the future. Maybe this show will go nowhere and all will be for naught but I have a good feeling about it.

And I still have yet to see a Boy Scout at a convention!

Yes you have! You just don't know it. Take it from an eagle scout, no self respecting scout ever shows up to anything in uniform they don't have to. It's like putting a kick me sign on your own back. grin.gif

No offense... but I've been doing Steve's shows for years. I did them in Hayward and in San Jose multiple times. I've done Sacramento for 3-4 years as well. I even did the first Golden State Con. I also did the show Steve set up that was across from the APE (which, in the end, was not a good idea) For the larger shows, I've done WonderCon twice and San Diego once.

I, for one, was not questioning your history as a dealer, Sckao. Obviously, you've done the local shows. But as someone who has also suffered through his share of small-time shows, doesn't it make sense to try to nurture a show with potential like Super-Con? I've done all the small, local shows, too. They're fun, but they will always be limited in what they can do.

(BTW, I also did the APE piggyback show in 2003...to be fair, that wasn't a Wyatt show.)

i'm just trying to point out that certain basic business practices are necessary to doing a good show.

See Steve Morger's post above. He has said he's open to ideas to make the show better. Send them his way. You make some legitimate points and I'm sure you've got other good ideas. If that's still not good enough, then what can I say? Don't do the show. Or do your own.

Hmm, I'm supposed to fly out for some meetings in Palo Alto on the 3rd. Looks like I should change it to the 2nd!!!

yay.gif

yay.gifyay.gif