• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hot Silver!!

31 posts in this topic

I just reread that issue. Great stuff in it. Don't know if it's worth $950 though.

That's definitely an issue to read! 8x guide . . . . I'd rather pass . . .

DAM

DAM, Seank,

Respectfully disagree about the reading merits of this issue. Personally, I'd leave it in the slab, as the cover is probably the best thing going for it. In my opinion, this was one of the periodic low points creatively in the Batman franchise: after Infantino stopped drawing every other issue of Detective, but before Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams arrived. This is one of the better issues during that down period but still...

225880-Batpage.JPG

Much better examples during this same post-Infantino period would be Detective 374 ("Hunt for a Robin Killer) with Gil Kane art, and Bob Kanigher's story "Die Small, Die Big" from Detective 385. (Both reprinted in Batman 257 100 Page Super-Spec).

Also interesting is the statement of ownership in this same period (see attachment): 1.1 Million copies average print run over the preceeding 12 months! The influence of the Batman TV show no doubt.

225883-ownershipstatement.JPG.2f16b699aeb2ef94a33f2963764d53f5.JPG

Good eye on that schmegma...it might be on the case,..I'd be really surprised if it got a 9.6 with a stain on the cover...........but then again,......anywho...looks better than my reader copy that has a big red x over the Dc logo....

DAM, Seank,

Respectfully disagree about the reading merits of this issue. Personally, I'd leave it in the slab, as the cover is probably the best thing going for it. In my opinion, this was one of the periodic low points creatively in the Batman franchise: after Infantino stopped drawing every other issue of Detective, but before Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams arrived. This is one of the better issues during that down period but still...

Much better examples during this same post-Infantino period would be Detective 374 ("Hunt for a Robin Killer) with Gil Kane art, and Bob Kanigher's story "Die Small, Die Big" from Detective 385. (Both reprinted in Batman 257 100 Page Super-Spec).

Also interesting is the statement of ownership in this same period (see attachment): 1.1 Million copies average print run over the preceeding 12 months! The influence of the Batman TV show no doubt.

Minutekev, sorry for the delay in the response - busy (but awesome) weekend! To Zonker, Minutekev, et al, I personally enjoyed the Batman 189. Is it campy? Sure, but it is a cool retelling of the Scarecrow's origin and I always really enjoyed the scarecrow.

In terms of overall Batman titles/books from the mid/late SA, I really don't have much to compare it to as sadly I haven't read even 1/4 of the Batman books that I have. frown.giffrown.gif Zonker is the source for all DC books!

In terms of cool Scarecrow stories, I liked it, but be warned:

1 - the camp never bothered me

2 - the Scarecrow is cool!

Also, in terms of print run - I have found it a lot easier to get copies of Batman 165-200 than I have getting copies of Batman 200-251. The pre -200s have the whole TV show thing going for it in terms of multiple, multiple copies (although it's extremely tough to find in HG as most of the books out in the market would be VG-F) and the 200-251 is the height of the Adams run and these books are extremely popular and move quick.

My two cents,

DAM

For those betting on a Scarecrow speculation from a potential movie, wouldn't a better issue be World's Finest #3? I know it's Golden Age, but there's the "real" first appearance. And I believe it's the one with the cool baseball cover, with Robin as the catcher, Batman in the batter's box, and Superman as the ump, with a mask and chest protector. And why exactly does Superman need a chest protector? A 90mph fastball gonna knock the wind outta him or something?? Anyway, rant off.