• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently watched the History Channel and have some opinions

5 posts in this topic

I watched the History Channel special (finally) and I must say it was for the most part very good. But there is a few things that I am wondering about. In the special, near the end they hinted at the possible (or was it inevitable) demise of comics as we know it. Now, I know that comics may never, probably, won't reach the numbers that they had during the 50's and 60's, but the "end of the printed comic as we have now ?!". - I don't think so. For a couple of reasons. One, comics are not geared towards the younger crowd. They are gritter, more realism and more mature than they've ever been.....check out the Veritgo/Max stuff and you know what i mean. I have been to alot of shows recently, and the kids that are there under 14 i can count on one hand. yet, the crowd at SD for example was a record setting attendance...(70,000+) - With the popularity of comic movies, trade paperbacks and of course, the boom in back issue market (cgc,ebay, internet dealers) I see that comics will always have a place. There is something very pleasing about holding,reading and enjoying a comic in your hands....Looking at a comic on a computer screen is not the same....not in the least bit. - Any opinions ??

25-years from now everybody will be using their super Palm Pilots for all their PC processing. Desktops and even labtops will be gone or have very minimal usage. The Palm Pilot of the future will display a 3-D screen up to 24-inches in front of you. You will now read comics that way. Paper comics are no more.

Too much fantasy here?

25-years from now everybody will be using their super Palm Pilots for all their PC processing. Desktops and even labtops will be gone or have very minimal usage. The Palm Pilot of the future will display a 3-D screen up to 24-inches in front of you. You will now read comics that way. Paper comics are no more.

Too much fantasy here?

And don't forget the flying cars and the jet-packs!!....and oh yeah,...Robots!!!,...robots will do all of our mundane chores....and food will come in little pouches and all we'll have to do is add water and BAM!!!..instant meatloaf and mashed potatoes,....and telephones will have screens so we can see who we are talking to,...and...........

Since you mentioned this...

I went and bought the DVD from them. Finally got it today. I haven't seen the show because I don't get HISTORY CHANNEL here. So I figure tonight I'll watch it. DANG thing skips worse then a broken record. Ruined my whole evening. Now I got to send it back and wait another three weeks for a exchange. This show better be worth the wait. Thats all I gotta say. mad.gif

And don't forget the flying cars and the jet-packs!!....and oh yeah,...Robots!!!,...robots will do all of our mundane chores....and food will come in little pouches and all we'll have to do is add water and BAM!!!..instant meatloaf and mashed potatoes,....and telephones will have screens so we can see who we are talking to,...and...........

Hey Now, just cuz you may have lived a lifetime of unfufilled technological promises (my favorite line from That 70's Show is "Yeah, hovercrafts. They promised us hovercrafts.) doesn't mean Musicmeta's predictions are to far off. The 3-d part may be far fetched, but I've already seen prototypes of PDA's that project the screen into the space above the unit. And you only have to look at the last 10-30 years to see how CPU power has increased exponentially.'

That said, I think comics will be around for quite a while, albeit in a sickly form. People like paper and ink. Technologically speaking, books and newspapers are in even more danger, yet no one is predicting they will disappear. They're all here to stay. The industries may just be slightly different.