• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

Pep Comics #1 is from 1940 and features the first patriotic superhero (the Shield). Archie first appeared in #22 (1941) and made his first appearance on the cover in #36 (see the favorite Archie covers thread in the comics general section). The last superhero issue was #65 with nothing but Archie and the gang stories thereafter (at least until a brief superhero revival in the '60s). Pep had some truly great WWII covers with #20, 27 and 34 being the standouts IMO. Number 34 is pictured in the Archie covers thread even though Archie does not appear on the cover--it's that cool!!

Archie Comics is a separate title that began with #1 in 1942 (also pictured in the Archie covers thread). Hope this helps.

143ksk,

Great Peps! I wish I still had my 20, and 34 is on my upgrade list, I only have a FR copy that was too cheap to pass up. I also like the 28, those iconic WW2 covers on the old Zips & Peps are too cool! Wasn't the cover to Pep 32 reused on a Shield -Wizard?

Hey 143ksk...that's the 2nd nicest Pep #28 I've ever seen, and I've owned 3 of them myself. The guy I sold my MLJ run to had the CGC NM 9.2 copy. It was sick. Still though, your copy has better color!

Shawn

Pep Comics #1 is from 1940 and features the first patriotic superhero (the Shield). Archie first appeared in #22 (1941) and made his first appearance on the cover in #36 (see the favorite Archie covers thread in the comics general section). The last superhero issue was #65 with nothing but Archie and the gang stories thereafter (at least until a brief superhero revival in the '60s). Pep had some truly great WWII covers with #20, 27 and 34 being the standouts IMO. Number 34 is pictured in the Archie covers thread even though Archie does not appear on the cover--it's that cool!!

Archie Comics is a separate title that began with #1 in 1942 (also pictured in the Archie covers thread). Hope this helps.

Correct! The very first appearance of Archie on a cover of a comic was Jackpot Comics #4 (3rd or 4th appearance). First "full body" on a cover was Archie #1, just before Pep #36. If you like this stuff, by all means, please visit my website. I have about 99 percent of all the MLJ covers scanned, and about 1/2 of the entire run scanned!

Shawn

Great cover on the Mystery Men 4, Punyhuman.

I love seeing all these scans of books I had overlooked when browsing through the Gerber Guides. Sometimes it's hard to gage how cool a cover is until you see a larger image. I also want to thank the rest of you out there for making the Golden Age threads mostly about the comics themselves, and not just about what grades of which books sold for how much (which seems to be the general preoccupation of the Silver Age postings).