• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,415 posts in this topic

Here's a recent purchase of mine... the Lost Valley copy of Master Comics #27. I've been looking for a copy of this book and just had to have this one. It is tight, sharp, and bright with beautiful pages. The back cover looks just as good as the front. There is a cover reading crease that runs down about 1/3 of the middle of the book. It only slightly breaks color in two very small spots. I think this book would probably grade at about 7.5 and maybe 8.0 if the cover crease wasn't viewed as being so significant. It's stunning to see a Mac Raboy cover in this condition... he was the master and his work deserves to look this good. The interior Raboy artwork is just ridiculously good! I hope that it's only his lack of longevity that keeps him from the ranks of Kirby and Eisner. Even Frazetta gets more credit than Raboy does. Hopefully this will change with time.

601920-master27.jpg

601920-master27.jpg.d80773d4a16c41d1e46bfb8f1144cd8a.jpg

Edited by paull

Here's a recent purchase of mine... the Lost Valley copy of Master Comics #27. I've been looking for a copy of this book and just had to have this one. It is tight, sharp, and bright with beautiful pages.

thumbsup2.gif Gorgeous copy and cover!

Fantastic Master Comics!! I'm an enormous Raboy fan, and that's one of his best. The shadows and the deep reds are so well done. I think quite a few Golden Age collectors have great appreciation for Raboy, so I wouldn't necessarily call him overlooked.

Great pick-up!! The demand for Fawcetts hasn't been there for a while, but if you can turn that to your advantage by getting books like that a bit cheaper than you'd expect..... thumbsup2.gif

Thank you... I am super happy with this purchase because not only is it one of my favorite all-time covers, but the interior artwork by Raboy is stunning. It's even better than I expected. Hopefully I can resist buying more of these in the short term... my wallet can't take it.

You're right about the deep reds and the shadows. For some reason, this cover really resonates with me. If I were to make a list of the greatest covers ever, this would have to be in my top 5.

Have these Master Comics stories by Raboy ever been reprinted in a quality format? These are classics...

Me either... this is my first Fawcett. I was really moved by Raboy's artwork and wanted what I considered to be his best cover. Man alive, was I surprised at how good the interior work is. I usually expect interior art to be of less quality than the cover. Not in the case of Raboy... now I'm wondering if I can resist buying other issues in the 20s and 30s so I can enjoy more of it.

I've never owned an original Master Comics from the Raboy era, but I've seen reprints of his work, and it is extraordinary. I've always wanted #27 since I've seen the cover; absolutely gorgeous.

Me either... this is my first Fawcett. I was really moved by Raboy's artwork and wanted what I considered to be his best cover. Man alive, was I surprised at how good the interior work is. I usually expect interior art to be of less quality than the cover. Not in the case of Raboy... now I'm wondering if I can resist buying other issues in the 20s and 30s so I can enjoy more of it.

As I have stated before, I consider this to be one of Raboy's classic icon covers with the patriotic cover image against the deep reds and black shadows. Unfortunately, I only have this issue plus #33 in the run. Never was able to find the others in high grade at a reasonable price.

With respect to the interior art, I believe you are absolutely right. I don't have the book in front of me to check, but is this the issue with the dark moody story which almost looks grey-tone in appearance? Well, either this issue or #33, but absolutely stunning pages for GA interior artwork.

I wouldn't say it's grey-tone, but it is realistic and a bit dark... a bit in the Alex Raymond mold (Raboy's idol, according to Steranko's "History"). I'm not a Golden Age superhero collector but I've seen a ton of reprints. That might have been the best Golden Age interior artwork that I've ever seen.

I just received this today. It's one of my Grail books. Obviously it's only about a G/VG, but it's really structurally sound and has nice paper. My favorite World's Finest cover, and one of my favorite covers period. And the first appearance of the Scarecrow.

606343-world%5C%27s%20finest%203.jpg

589a8b0bb6764_606343-worldsfinest3.jpg.11237e100274087ee25ec9ed88fd5fc5.jpg

Edited by Doiby_Dickles

Great book, Doiby! The splash page for that Scarecrow story is outstanding. Really, as cool a villain as he is, I've always thought that WF #3 should be worth a bit more.

Yeah, I love the Scarecrow splash, and the story. One of the best GA Batman tales! The Superman story was wonderful too. It looked like Shuster art. If it wasn't his work, it was a great imitation. The whole book is a real treat!

I wonder if WF #3 will go up in value next summer. The Scarecrow does appear in BATMAN BEGINS, if only in a small role. Also, 'TEC #73 and BATMAN #189 might go up too. Everyone is paying attention to the Ras Al Ghul issues, but the Scarecrow books are older, cooler and more collectible(IMHO).

Yes I have no shame and any chance I can get to show these, well I just can't resist. Since they are mine as of today's Heritage auction and this is the Golden Age section acclaim.gif

813026001o.jpg

813026004o.jpg

Those Russkie covers are awesome... The hammer and sickle. Does anything else say "Stinkin' Commie" more? Maybe "CCCP" but Namor isn't competing in the Olympics.

Yes I have no shame and any chance I can get to show these, well I just can't resist. Since they are mine as of today's Heritage auction and this is the Golden Age section acclaim.gif

813026001o.jpg

813026004o.jpg

Nice books!

Great books! I have a number of Atlas Sub-mariners myself. And to think there is only about a 6 year time gap between the last issue of Sub-mariner Comics (10/55) and Fantastic Four #4 (5/62). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

West