• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,442 posts in this topic

Love those Russian covers, talk about a trip through time. Issue #33 is my favorite, super Bill Everett cover. cloud9.gif West do you have a decent copy of the scarce pre-Atlas (Timely of course) issue #32? I plan to pick up a low grade copy shortly just because its so hard to find. Also, do you figure that interest levels for super-hero type books (specifically Timely, and Atlas) were at an all-time low in the late 40's or in the mid 50's?

I do not have a #32. It it very tough, expect to pay multiples of guide on that one.

I'd say superhero books in the late 40's and into the 50's were definately on the backburner. Teen, funny animal, western, horror, and sci-fi was all the rage.

West

This unrestored 1935 Mickey Mouse Magazine V1#1 didn't fit in my scanner, but I still wanted to share it with the Disney fans. I have been looking for a decent copy of this book for the last 5 years and finally Ted Hake offered this for sale (from his own collection). While quite common below VG, it is almost impossible to find in FN, undoubtedly because of the extra-large format and fragile paper. Like all copies that I have seen, this has some minor splits at the spine, but it is by far the flattest and cleanest I have seen. The mostly white back cover is usually dirty, but this one looks as if everyone who handled it in the past 69 years was wearing gloves. The interior is VF-NM.

I just purchased a few more file copies of later issues that I hope to post later.

H_M-11a.jpg

H_M-11b.jpg

doiby - that WF3 is my dc gold grail for the scarecrow story. I passed on a coverless copy 10 years ago for $50 and still kick myself....

hkp - Stunning as usual! your collection is incredible, gemstone should put out a magazine/book with close up pictures of all those wonderful books!

doiby - that WF3 is my dc gold grail for the scarecrow story. I passed on a coverless copy 10 years ago for $50 and still kick myself....

Don't kick yourself too hard, the cover is one of the most iconic of the forties, so the book would lose much of its appeal without it(at least IMHO).

Finding a copy of Detective #73-the first(and only)GA Scarecrow cover-isn't easy. No one seems to have one, even Metropolis!

I just finalized a deal for another group of high quality Disneys and wanted to post an example (hope that's ok with you, seller).

As usual, I am posting these scans because I see sharing what little I have as a the best way to help get the new generation of young comic readers/potential collectors interested in vintage Disney books. When I grew up and did not have the means to compete for books like these, I wish such pictures had been more easily available. This particular file copy has probably only been seen by a dozen or so people in the past 65 years - it had been off the market for 30 years before I got the privilege to purchase it this week. My own quiet dream is that whales like Geppi and Anderson will some day start to share their collections the same way - that would be an amazing thing for the hobby.

MMM5.jpg

I'd be very curious to hear how the Golden Age experts would grade this Dell file copy (perhaps this post belongs more in the "grading" forum but I am more interested in what people here think)? The scans are representative of the condition - there are no visible defects that are not shown (the sticker is on the mylar). When held at an angle in the light, the glossy cover produces a virtually perfect reflection with no visible stresses anywhere on either side. The biggest physical defects are the tiny splits at the top and bottom of the spine (visible in the scans). The book was clearly never opened fully. The one "but" is that the interior covers show considerable yellowing with browning near the edges.

Any opinions on this book, and how the browning affects grades of Poughkeepsie copies in general, would be appreciated.

us2a.jpg

us2b.jpg

Probably a 9.4 leaning towards a 9.2 as opposed to a 9.6. I have never seen the Pough Pedigree but as long as the tanning is not browning, I don't think it would be a serious downgrade. You'd most likely get the Cr to OW pages but for a 50's Dell thats not a surprise. The razor edges and corners really help keep it in the 9.0 range and the lack of any blemishes on the spine or staples push it into a 9.4 IMO.

Unreal books by the way.

At least 9.4 with a chance for a 9.6 grade.

Those kind of splits are allowed in 9.6 grade on GA books, since they are production defects.

CGC seem to be lenient regarding interior cover tanning. In earlier slabs it was noted in the label, but those kind of notations are now removed.

If its not brittle I believe they don't downgrade for it at all.