• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

I picked up some beauts from the Heritage auction as well. I won't include scans since you can just go to their website and take a look, but I bought:

Famous Funnies: Carnival of Comics #nn (Eastern Color, 1933) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages.... [tied with one other book as highest graded] - Gotta love a 72 year old book being a 9.0!!

World's Finest Comics #2 (DC, 1941) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white pages....

Mad #1 Gaines File pedigree 4/12 (EC, 1952) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages.... [tied with 3 others as highest graded]

Adventure Comics #42 (DC, 1939) CGC FN 6.0 Cream to off-white pages....

I trust everyone saw the Sensation #54 "San Francisco" copy sold for $1800.

I also just bought some great More Fun Comics, which are for my personal collection (I am building a complete run of the entire series).

56 CGC 8.0 O/W

63 CGC 9.0 O/W to W Mile High

65 CGC 9.0 O/W

66 CGC 9.0 W Mile High

I should have these four books in hand today.

Mark

Esquirecomics.com

Won this today at the Heritage auction! I've wanted a copy for a long, long time, and the closest I got before was the double cover 8.0 Metropolis had, but they wanted nearly $1200 for that copy. This is almost as nice, but not nearly as expensive. The front cover is a classic, and the back cover is pretty cool too! cloud9.gif

cdnp33.jpg

cdnp33b.jpg

Wow! I'd say you did very well with this book! Classic cover & The book looks great! I guess the couple of finger prints on the back cover knocked it down, 'cause it looks VF to me! thumbsup2.gif

How much did you save, as opposed to the Metro $1,200.00 price? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

I checked out the final price on Heritage - nice job! Congrats on a great pickup - with great eye-appeal, as I'm guessing the BC is what brings the grade lower than a VF. I remember when Terry of Terry's Comics was selling that double cover for $200 back in the mid-nineties (unless there's more than 1 VF double cover copy) - I didn't even call, as It was more than I wanted to spend for a copy at the time (foolish me - I eventually found a cheaper copy, but nowhere near that nice)- IIRC whoever bought it sold it shortly thereafter for around $500 in one of Continental's CBG auctions - How long has Metro had it?

Congratulations on the wins, guys! I bid on five books, but only won this one. It's a PLOD, but I don't care, it's a major improvement over the copy I have now. Tomorrow is my b'day, so this is a nice present:

815028108o.jpg

815028108r.jpg

cloud9.gif

The books I bid on but didn't win were BATMAN #37 5.5, IMPACT#1 Gaines Pedigree 8.0, and SUPERWORLD #'s 1-2(the covers looked nice, but I just couldn't bid higher on such brown books).

I picked up some beauts from the Heritage auction as well. I won't include scans since you can just go to their website and take a look, but I bought:

Mad #1 Gaines File pedigree 4/12 (EC, 1952) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages.... [tied with 3 others as highest graded]

Mark

Esquirecomics.com

893whatthe.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

That back cover is classic. Talk about a different world back then.

Mark, that is some haul you picked up on Heritage.

Go easy,.......I'm sure he paid through the nose for them! 27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

It was definitely an obscene amount of money when you consider what most Americans make in a year, but in our world the prices actually were not bad. The Adventure went barely over guide, the World's Finest went under guide, the Famous Funnies went for guide or not much over, and the Mad #1, although about 3x-4x guide (9.2 price, this was a 9.8), is, well, MAD #1 CGC 9.8 GAINES. yay.gif Anyway, other copies have sold for the same amount (and of course 15% was the darn BP) so I didn't go crazy on setting a record new price or anything, I just proved the price was fair, or something like that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif These were all investment books so I will resell them at some point in time and justify to my wife that the purchase was sound. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif The collector in me requires that everytime I buy one of these great books in a slab I go out and buy the corresponding DC Archives, if one exists, so I can read the stories.

I just bought this book from Silveracres in the UK.

Now comes the wait for it to make it to the states.

So far, very pleasant to deal with.

batman29.jpg

Great book! 893applaud-thumb.gif