• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,437 posts in this topic

I agree about Super Magician being underappreciated. There are some nice covers in that run, quite a few actually, and yet no one ever talks about the series.

Does anyone here collect Super Magician?

I agree about Super Magician being underappreciated. There are some nice covers in that run, quite a few actually, and yet no one ever talks about the series.

Does anyone here collect Super Magician?

I don't own one and was attracted to the covers like you but, at a recent show, I opened the cover to one of them, saw the interior art and ran away confused-smiley-013.gif or what is Super Mystery 893scratchchin-thumb.gif On the other hand, the covers and art in Red Dragon all seemed great. Anybody collect those?

I'll make sure to check more interior pages for Super Magician while at Chicago though (if I find the time).

Super Magician has always been on my lis o get, more for persona reasons. When I was a kid, one of the very 1st golden Age books I bought was the SM with the Cartier Octopus cover, maybe #17? I thought the Art was fabulous. The same shop I bought that one had the Chimp/Chump cover, #3? and I had saved up to buy that one, but it was gone when I went back. This was maybe 1984 or so. I of course no longer have it, but I do like a lot of the covers in the run, and it has the extra nostalgia glow for me.

Shiv

The Cartier Red Dragon battles an octopus cover was one of first GA books I picked up after I decided to expand my collecting beyond pre-code crime and horror in the early 90s ( One of the last two issues of the title IIRC). Definetly a classic - and still pretty damn affordable. What is it about underwater covers? - whether it's Cartier, Frazetta, Fine, Schomburg, Cole or any of the greats - they always are memorable. I'd forgotten about the Chimp/Chump cover - another great one. Someone who has a copy - please post it.

I remember flipping through the Gerbers for my first real exposure to Super-Magician, and thinking if the covers had featured a more traditionally costumed super-hero, that the title would be highly sought after.

A seller recently had a bunch of Alan Light GA reprints on eBay. I bid Young Allies #1 up to $45 and still lost. foreheadslap.gif

But I did get a copy of Human Torch #5. I've been wanting to read this 60-page classic battle issue since I first heard about it in OSPG 10 (which I bought in 2001). Can't wait to read it!

Z-19.JPG

yay.gif

A seller recently had a bunch of Alan Light GA reprints on eBay. I bid Young Allies #1 up to $45 and still lost. foreheadslap.gif

But I did get a copy of Human Torch #5. I've been wanting to read this 60-page classic battle issue since I first heard about it in OSPG 10 (which I bought in 2001). Can't wait to read it!

Z-19.JPG

yay.gif

Could have had my orginal for $1500. Cheaparse! poke2.gif

rjpb - what a coincidence! Maybe its a launching book for others?

Here is the transition issue for Leading comics into Funny Animal. I know not too many people really go for the FA stuff, not the best cover, but I like it and its now my Earliest DC Funny Animal book! Anyone have the Gerber number on it? Mine are packed away...

1328448-leading15.jpg

1328448-leading15.jpg.debf2d0ce763e1283fc2c1b3e20a3a90.jpg

Edited by shiverbones

Z-19.JPG

yay.gif

Marvel did a color reprint of HT #5 a few years back. As for the YA #1 reprint - you're better off being outbid at that price. With a bit of patience you should be able to score it for around $20 on ebay.