• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,426 posts in this topic

And what's up with those Japs - spying on polar bear migration

in Alaska?

Either that or monitoring the landing of deadly gas balloons sent over by the Japanese to blow up the West Coast!!

"The Japanese Balloon Offensive

Western US was the target of Japan¹s hydrogen-filled balloon campaign. Equipped with 1,000 pounds of explosives, the balloons were fitted with sophisticated navigation devices that guided them approximately 5,000 miles in three days. Over 9,000 balloons rained down in the United States and Canada in 1944 and 1945.

Known as project Fugo, or Wind Ship, balloon bombs were responsible for starting forest fires as far east as Michigan. Six people (one woman and five children) were killed in Oregon, and others injured elsewhere. Near the end of the war, destruction of power lines forced a delay in the production of plutonium for the atomic bomb that would later be dropped on Japan.

The incendiary bombs were considered enough of a threat that their existence was kept from the general public until well after the war. Aware that the Japanese were already experimenting with chemical and biological weapons on the Chinese and Koreans, the American Army knew that balloon bombs provided an ideal way to transport the deadly weapons to US soil, where tens of thousands of American civilians could be instantly infected."

And what's up with those Japs - spying on polar bear migration

in Alaska?

Either that or monitoring the landing of deadly gas balloons sent over by the Japanese to blow up the West Coast!!

"The Japanese Balloon Offensive

Western US was the target of Japan¹s hydrogen-filled balloon campaign. Equipped with 1,000 pounds of explosives, the balloons were fitted with sophisticated navigation devices that guided them approximately 5,000 miles in three days. Over 9,000 balloons rained down in the United States and Canada in 1944 and 1945.

Known as project Fugo, or Wind Ship, balloon bombs were responsible for starting forest fires as far east as Michigan. Six people (one woman and five children) were killed in Oregon, and others injured elsewhere. Near the end of the war, destruction of power lines forced a delay in the production of plutonium for the atomic bomb that would later be dropped on Japan.

The incendiary bombs were considered enough of a threat that their existence was kept from the general public until well after the war. Aware that the Japanese were already experimenting with chemical and biological weapons on the Chinese and Koreans, the American Army knew that balloon bombs provided an ideal way to transport the deadly weapons to US soil, where tens of thousands of American civilians could be instantly infected."

I saw a special on the History Channel (I believe) about this last year. A very interesting topic and I was surprised by the sofistication of the balloon's guidence systems. It's amazing the distance they traveled and that some actually exploded.

BTW: Nice books!

Here is a low grade grail book I recently picked up. I know it is a beater, but it is such a cool book and the pages are nice. I'll get Matt to fix it up nice for me.

Thanks to my buddy Phil Bellmore for hooking me up!

wink.gif

allstar30001.jpg

A couple of recent Heritage pick ups...

I got a killer deal on this Tailspin Tommy. $37 including the juice. A seller on Feebay has a copy that's at best a grade higher for $175.

TailSpinTommy.jpg

And my new baby... Wow #23 D copy. With the PB it was $2 over guide. Not too bad. The shadowing on the edge isn't nearly as pronounced in person. Far better than the VG I have anyway.

Wow23b.jpg

Another one to add to my collection:

Excellent! 893applaud-thumb.gif I see you're collecting the Spirit sections in VF. How hard are they to find and how realistic is the guide on those?

The ones from late '40-'46 are pretty prevalent in mid to high grade. Price wise, you can get them for guide or usually under. When you get into the later '40's and '50's, that's when the real searching begins, especially for someone like me who's looking for high grade (VF and up). The last year ('52) is very difficult to find in F and above, and usually go for guide or better (dependent on grade). The last few sections ("The Outer Space Spirit") are impossible to find in any grade and go for above guide in any condition. Based on my experience, I believe OPG may have the sections slightly over-valued, aside from the very early and very late ones. I'm basing this on my buying experience on Ebay and other sources (other than dealers). Others may have had different experiences.

Angelo

Another one to add to my collection:

Spirit%2027%20Mar%201949.jpg

How important is it to you which paper the insert is in? Does it have much of an impact on the prices paid? confused-smiley-013.gif

For me, it's of no significance. I enjoy getting as many different papers as possible. It's nice to have some variety in life. As for price, I've seen no indication that what paper the section is on increases value.