• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,441 posts in this topic

Just in from the ComicLink Focused Auction:

champion8-fc.jpg

I now have the two right-most columns on the back of volume one complete! thumbsup2.gif

Coolest darn book in that auction! Let me know if you ever tire of it.

Exciting Comics #64

November, 1948

Airbrush cover by "Xela" Schomburg

Recent eBay purchase. Not sure if it's nicer than the copy I already have, but hey, it's an Okajima and a Nedor, how could I go wrong?

Give us time, I'm sure we can think of something! devil.gif

But until then, congratulations!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just picked up this whole set on eBay in one fell swoop! smile.gif BTW there's going to be a new Flash Gordon TV show that's going to start on the Sci Fi channel in August - I'm really excited about it, but I just hope it isn't all camped out like the 70s movie. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

th_FlashGordonHarvey01vgfnfcsm.jpgth_FlashGordonHarvey02vgfc.jpgth_FlashGordonHarvey03vgfnfc.jpgth_FlashGordonHarvey04vgfnfc.jpg

Cool set.

OS notes the existence of an undersized, B&W #5 in the series, and GCD has a open space for it. Gerber mentions two "Gordon Bread giveaways", which could be the same thing. Does anyone here have those?

Who drew the covers? Are they Harvey house artist swipes of Raymond panels?

Jack

Just picked up this whole set on eBay in one fell swoop! smile.gif BTW there's going to be a new Flash Gordon TV show that's going to start on the Sci Fi channel in August - I'm really excited about it, but I just hope it isn't all camped out like the 70s movie. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

th_FlashGordonHarvey01vgfnfcsm.jpgth_FlashGordonHarvey02vgfc.jpgth_FlashGordonHarvey03vgfnfc.jpgth_FlashGordonHarvey04vgfnfc.jpg

Cool set.

OS notes the existence of an undersized, B&W #5 in the series, and GCD has a open space for it. Gerber mentions two "Gordon Bread giveaways", which could be the same thing. Does anyone here have those?

Who drew the covers? Are they Harvey house artist swipes of Raymond panels?

Jack

No, the two Gordon bread giveaways are different and actually fairly common - they pop up on ebay from time to time. The Harvey Flash Gordon # 5, on the other hand is extremely rare! Along with All New 15, Boy Explorers 2 and Stuntman 3 it was only mailed to subscribers. The other three B&W subscription-only issues turn up occasionally, but never the Flash Gordon. I have never even seen a picture of one, much less an actual issue. It is very possibly a legit Gerber 10 (though it is not listed in Gerber). Amazingly the original art for the cover still survives:

th_FlashGordonHarvey05OA.jpg

Here is one you don't see every day...or every year for that matter. Cowboys fight Hitler in outer space. How can you NOT like golden age comics?

spacewestern44.jpg

I love this cover! Check out guy throwing the punch - he looks like a Kewpie Doll with cauliflower ears! 27_laughing.gif

I love this cover! Check out guy throwing the punch - he looks like a Kewpie Doll with cauliflower ears! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

I will read the story tonight. I am sure it's even weirder than the cover.

Here is one you don't see every day...or every year for that matter. Cowboys fight Hitler in outer space. How can you NOT like golden age comics?

spacewestern44.jpg

Saw this posted over in General, nothing like a publisher trying to take advantage of multiple genres! 27_laughing.gif

Gotta love this book! thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Funny to see the name Stan Campbell again. I read a story by him on Sunday in an issue of Crime and Justice. Had never see his work before.

I loved the 70's movie....... sorry.gif

I liked it too for what it was, but I loved the late 70's Filmation animated series on Saturday morning much, much more. It actually stayed very true to the Raymond strip, at least for the first season. I'm hoping this new live action show will do the same, but I'm afraid it's not likely. BTW, the animated Flash Gordon was released on DVD last year - for those who haven't seen it, but are fans of the Raymond strip I highly recommend it. thumbsup2.gif

Flash-Gordon-(3).jpg

I liked it too for what it was, but I loved the late 70's Filmation animated series on Saturday morning much, much more. It actually stayed very true to the Raymond strip, at least for the first season. I'm hoping this new live action show will do the same, but I'm afraid it's not likely. BTW, the animated Flash Gordon was released on DVD last year - for those who haven't seen it, but are fans of the Raymond strip I highly recommend it. thumbsup2.gif

Flash-Gordon-(3).jpg

Thanks for the tip theagenes!

From Amazon.com:

Thanks for your order!

Shipping estimate for these items: July 3, 2007

Delivery estimate: July 6, 2007 1 "The New Adventures of Flash Gordon - The Complete Series"

Robert Ridgely; DVD; $21.99