• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
48 48

48,565 posts in this topic

he beat your "spine"?....I hope this doesn't affect you being able to drive me to win's house, I am scare of "snipe"rs in Chicago poke2.gif

gator

Christo_pull_hair.gif Damn dyslexia!

The snipers won't effect my driving ability, but the fact that I am moving to Nashville on that Friday does. frown.gif

893whatthe.gif

good luck (what is win going to do without you?)

gator

Thanks!

I am all done with Win's collection. Best job I ever had. cloud9.gif

I doubt you'll get another employer who pays in comics.

he beat your "spine"?....I hope this doesn't affect you being able to drive me to win's house, I am scare of "snipe"rs in Chicago poke2.gif

gator

Christo_pull_hair.gif Damn dyslexia!

The snipers won't effect my driving ability, but the fact that I am moving to Nashville on that Friday does. frown.gif

893whatthe.gif

good luck (what is win going to do without you?)

gator

Thanks!

I am all done with Win's collection. Best job I ever had. cloud9.gif

I doubt you'll get another employer who pays in comics.

Forget that, another employer who pays in golden age Hitler covers! Not THAT is rare. blush.gif

A little older acquisition

Spirit03Aug1952.jpg

Angelo

What a fabulous collaboration between Wood and Eisner!

Not quite up there with my Spirit sections, but I like them nonetheless

AllFlashQuarterly5.jpg

Angelo

I really like the unangle shot of the racing horses! 893applaud-thumb.gif

In today's mail, to me this is a striking image in its detail and it's nice to see Elias not copying Caniff so much for once -

1879400-Wings61s.jpg

I've never noticed how good that cover is. I completely agree with you that Elias has absorbed what he needed from Caniff and used it to produce his own unique work. thumbsup2.gif

In today's mail, to me this is a striking image in its detail and it's nice to see Elias not copying Caniff so much for once -

Nice book Scrooge...although Elias seems to be heavy on the inks like Caniff...I never new he was a student of his... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

000_0069.jpg

Steve, this a real beauty! It would look GREAT in a CGC holder. Are you going to get it slabbed?

Yes, slabs always make books look so much brighter and glossier. I think CGC should invent a double slab to increase the effect even more.

Ken

Ken, personally I found that books generally look much brighter and glossier in mylar as opposed to a slab. I always found the slab coating to be so thick that it actually dulls the colours of the book.

If I place a slab book next to one in mylar, it would be no contest from my own point of view. To each their own, I guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

000_0069.jpg

Steve, this a real beauty! It would look GREAT in a CGC holder. Are you going to get it slabbed?

Yes, slabs always make books look so much brighter and glossier. I think CGC should invent a double slab to increase the effect even more.

Ken

Ken, personally I found that books generally look much brighter and glossier in mylar as opposed to a slab. I always found the slab coating to be so thick that it actually dulls the colours of the book.

If I place a slab book next to one in mylar, it would be no contest from my own point of view. To each their own, I guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

gossip.gif Ken was facetious. He likes to see books out of slabs not in them.

Adam, Ken, thanks for the kind word. Now, excuse my ignorance but do any of you know what's the significance of the flag and -script on the back of the gunner on the left side jacket?

Adam, Ken, thanks for the kind word. Now, excuse my ignorance but do any of you know what's the significance of the flag and -script on the back of the gunner on the left side jacket?

LINK

LINK

This is the kind of stuff I love to find out about. Thanks, Steve! And thanks for posting the Wings Scrooge!

LINK

What a wonderful resource is the forum. Thanks, 143ksk!

I suspect that there Elias was working off of a photograph as did not normally put that much work into the background and details of mechanical devices. Given that it's FH with their assembly line division of labor perhaps someone else did the background and Elias put in the characters? In any event, it's a marvelous cover.