• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

Obviously, Jerry and Joe had thought about a scenario in which Lois and Sups could get married which would result in the Superwoman comic.

Perhaps our little imp could be tricked into giving her superpowers while he was her suitor as in Superman 51.

5479110389_26a72fa1f0_z.jpg

They thought about it as can be seen in this splash from Action 60.

5445129882_0f762453ef_z.jpg

Or this later splash where they find a blond hair version.

5445130046_19e42508c8_z.jpg

The logo and cover could have looked like this.

3782230478_7d8132d62c_z.jpg

I was looking for the splash from Superman 51 when I originally posted this message on St. Valentines day. Here is the corrected version.

good 'move' on the Chesler chess cover by Gus Ricca- here's what Ken Quattro said about it:

Chesler was a Runyon-esque character. “He'd come in wearing a hat on the back on his head with a watch chain in his vest," Gill Fox recalled to Jim Amash in Alter Ego #12, "He reminded me of a fight promoter, and he smoked a cigar.” Gus Ricca’s cover to Dynamic #12 is most likely a nod and a wink to that description of his boss. A demanding employer, many of his former artists referred to his studio as a humorless ’sweat shop’. Chesler’s infamous ’frugality’ led to his being derisively nicknamed “Harry Chiseler” behind his back.

5479564840_d47a2d0665_z.jpg

A new Chesler for the box.

It goes with the a few other covers that I picked up recently.

5478964427_405af6d6b5_z.jpg4783524399_5770554ea5_z.jpg

and the ones that I picked up from Wally.

4158146329_19bef1871e_z.jpg2231383933_7d63d6a654_z.jpg

very nice bb---get those bad boys over to "cherish a chesler."

BB-

I'd be curious as to any comments you could make on the Chesler interiors- when you're ready...

I think the Rocketman stories looked pretty good.

2099815944_a5c4326137_z.jpg

This one wasn't as nice as the Punch 13 story but I don't think I know which issue it is from (Punch 21 maybe?) cause it is coverless.

2095643790_f12b6d9d18_z.jpg

I never liked the Punch and Cutey strip because of the art. Mac Raboy did some great covers but didn't notice any interior stuff. I liked Mr. E cause he was a strange sort of hero. He had little gremlin helpers that helped solved the crimes. Dynamic Man was interesting but I didn't see much character development in his short run. Tuska did some good art for the western strips. I haven't looked much at the other stuff.

3368900302_740bf6541a_z.jpg

Oh yeah, the Black Dwarf has always been a favorite since I saw him in some IW reprints that I purchased back in the sixties. Since then I picked up a few more comics that featured the character and sold a few. I purchased this Red Seal from the Golden Eagle shop in PA. Lady Satan looked pretty good to me, especially that Bullyeye cover which I picked up from Wally.

2248033226_9cfdbc1615_z.jpg

I noticed that Art Pinajian did the art on Rocketman according to the GCD. He also did the Madam Fatal strip for Quality. There was a story about art in the paper after he died and it seemed kind of sad. He was a pretty good artist but didn't get a lot of credit. His relatives threw away a lot of his stuff after he died but supposedly kept what they thought was valuable. Not sure if they had any help but they didn't seem interested in his comic book work.

Edited by BB-Gun

good 'move' on the Chesler chess cover by Gus Ricca- here's what Ken Quattro said about it:

Chesler was a Runyon-esque character. “He'd come in wearing a hat on the back on his head with a watch chain in his vest," Gill Fox recalled to Jim Amash in Alter Ego #12, "He reminded me of a fight promoter, and he smoked a cigar.” Gus Ricca’s cover to Dynamic #12 is most likely a nod and a wink to that description of his boss. A demanding employer, many of his former artists referred to his studio as a humorless ’sweat shop’. Chesler’s infamous ’frugality’ led to his being derisively nicknamed “Harry Chiseler” behind his back.

Gus Ricca turned out several great covers at this point in time. For the #12 he drew each line of the herringbone jacket...

The Bulleye cover as you may know is a previous splash done for Dynamic Comics. George nailed the cover and the recreation with smoke going from the gun thru the skull....

...and what can you say about the Capt. Battle cover for the 17 minutes is was under control of Chesler during the war years....

Most of the Chesler art now is locked up this the LOC. I have several other pieces including an unused cover....

jb

109822.jpg.0c7c78e30dd128b03b2d4aab0af815cb.jpg

109823.jpg.d9db4bf3de74ac520d530101a4db7f48.jpg

109825.jpg.dd18fc9fc80d181f5565f37c32247acf.jpg

109826.jpg.e3830a4ddff71856effcd82c927a6663.jpg

Gus Ricca did a great job with these covers. The 12 the herringbone is drawn line by line

The recreation of Bulleye cover by Tuska is of an earlier splash he did.....The waifing smoke and skull was obviously influenced by Eisner and Fine...

Capt Battle was with Chesler for about 17 minutes.....just fortunate to have this wonderful image.,,

I have several other pieces including unpublished covers.....The bulk of his art and writings are now with the LOC.....jb

109828.jpg.2b8c8f5f090d10589af2079249d9288c.jpg

109829.jpg.e0040c674d619520af24007ff6cdd094.jpg

109830.jpg.4d8a70195dfb799602a333a612ca6803.jpg

109831.jpg.cee9182844b6513b04c278808ca2aee7.jpg

109832.jpg.4fd19c38b79844f5b33521cb95da8640.jpg

I was blown away when I saw this piece in person. (worship) The detail is extraordinary and I found my eyes constantly drawn back to this piece amongst the many gems hanging in jb's comic cave.

109828.jpg

5480025357_aba3d5460b_z.jpg5480634108_15846da8b7_z.jpg

I remember seeing the panel in Bullseye 11. Painting looks great. When will you have the art show?

Actually, Bullseye is a reprint book. This splash first appeared in Dynamic 2 (cover art by Charles Sultan)

The splash here is from Dynamic 8 when the Chesler titles resumed. The story is a reprint from Yankee Comics 1 EXCEPT the splash had to be re-done (original lost?) if you compare Yankee 1 splash with Dynamic 8 splash

In this period a number of the Chelser titles were reprinted.

here is a portion of the Chelser article I did for CBM and was reprinted in Scoop

Late Superhero Period 1944-1947

As noted above, publication of Chesler imprint books abruptly ceased due to the advent of World War II. Many of the most sought after Chesler books are from the period when Chesler imprint comicbook production resumed on a regular basis in mid 1944. Artists for these titles included Gus Ricca, Fran Smith, George Tuska, Otto Eppers, Raphael Astarita, Paul Gattuso, Ruben Moreira and Charles Goodman. The titles resumed with many “gaps” in the numbering. A new title, Red Seal Comics, commenced with number 14.

Dynamic had ceased publication with the third issue (February 1942). The numbering for Dynamic resumed with number 8. Punch Comics had ceased with the second issue (February 1942) and resumed with issue 9 in July 1944. Scoop Comics ceased with the third issue (March 1942) and resumed with one single issue in 1945- issue number 8. Yankee Comics concluded with issue 4 – March 1942- and never resumed.

Before examining the post superhero production, it is appropriate to propose an explanation for these gaps. Although apparently he and his editor were engaged in service to their country, Chesler actually continued to produce a number of pocket size comicbooks for Remington Morse Co. and William Wise Co. The new art director, Gus Ricca, had a hand in this production. It is not known how widely distributed these issues were. Note that one of these pocketsize titles was Yankee Comics. The numbering of presently known pocketsize issues of Yankee Comics is for issues 4 through 7. It may be reasonable to conclude that this explains the number 8 for the single issue of Scoop Comics (or Dynamic Comics 8). During this time, digest issues appeared for Adventures of Riggin’ Bill (a character traceable to the first issue of Star Comics), Private Bill, Tops in Humor (issue 2 even has Chesler in it with the ever present cigar in his mouth), Mirth of a Nation and You Chirped a Chinful. The audience for these books was service personnel. The idea for these digests may well have come to Chesler as a result of his contact with the armed services. The books had prices of 5 and 10 cents.

Accordingly, the gaps in numbering may represent.....

just some info to chew on.....

109856.jpg.8ccde621437bcb001e7febc0c47d1ce0.jpg

109857.jpg.b89ac1d0d6c4902d1508bf314680c58b.jpg

I remember seeing the panel in Bullseye 11. Painting looks great. When will you have the art show?

Actually, Bullseye is a reprint book. This splash first appeared in Dynamic 2 (cover art by Charles Sultan)

The splash here is from Dynamic 8 when the Chesler titles resumed. The story is a reprint from Yankee Comics 1 EXCEPT the splash had to be re-done (original lost?) if you compare Yankee 1 splash with Dynamic 2 splash

here is a portion of the Chelser article I did for CBM and was reprinted in Scoop

As noted above, publication of Chesler imprint books abruptly ceased due to the advent of World War II. Many of the most sought after Chesler books are from the period when Chesler imprint comicbook production resumed on a regular basis in mid 1944. Artists for these titles included Gus Ricca, Fran Smith, George Tuska, Otto Eppers, Raphael Astarita, Paul Gattuso, Ruben Moreira and Charles Goodman. The titles resumed with many “gaps” in the numbering. A new title, Red Seal Comics, commenced with number 14.

Dynamic had ceased publication with the third issue (February 1942). The numbering for Dynamic resumed with number 8. Punch Comics had ceased with the second issue (February 1942) and resumed with issue 9 in July 1944. Scoop Comics ceased with the third issue (March 1942) and resumed with one single issue in 1945- issue number 8. Yankee Comics concluded with issue 4 – March 1942- and never resumed.

Before examining the post superhero production, it is appropriate to propose an explanation for these gaps. Although apparently he and his editor were engaged in service to their country, Chesler actually continued to produce a number of pocket size comicbooks for Remington Morse Co. and William Wise Co. The new art director, Gus Ricca, had a hand in this production. It is not known how widely distributed these issues were. Note that one of these pocketsize titles was Yankee Comics. The numbering of presently known pocketsize issues of Yankee Comics is for issues 4 through 7. It may be reasonable to conclude that this explains the number 8 for the single issue of Scoop Comics (or Dynamic Comics 8). During this time, digest issues appeared for Adventures of Riggin’ Bill (a character traceable to the first issue of Star Comics), Private Bill, Tops in Humor (issue 2 even has Chesler in it with the ever present cigar in his mouth), Mirth of a Nation and You Chirped a Chinful. The audience for these books was service personnel. The idea for these digests may well have come to Chesler as a result of his contact with the armed services. The books had prices of 5 and 10 cents.

After I found the book, I noticed that the first story was a reprint of Yankee 3 but didn't see the Lady Satan story in that issue. I do have it in Dynamic 3 but they are Fiche scans which don't reproduce very well. Glad you could identify the original source. I enjoyed your articles in CBM. Do you also contribute to Alter-Ego?

Hum, I notice your search doesn't agree with my data. This suggests that it was reprinted many times but you have most of these issues which should clarify everything. I only have Bulls Eye 11 and later issues of Dynamic and Red Seal. Plus a bunch of scans from the GAC website.

Edited by BB-Gun

The splash here is from Dynamic 8 when the Chesler titles resumed. The story is a reprint from Yankee Comics 1 EXCEPT the splash had to be re-done (original lost?) if you compare Yankee 1 splash with Dynamic 2 splash

After I found the book, I noticed that the first story was a reprint of Yankee 3 but didn't see the Lady Satan story in that issue. I do have it in Dynamic 3 but they are Fiche scans which don't reproduce very well. Glad you could identify the original source. I enjoyed your articles in CBM. Do you also contribute to Alter-Ego?

Hum, I notice your search doesn't agree with my data. This suggests that it was reprinted many times but you have most of these issues which should clarify everything. I only have Bulls Eye 11 and later issues of Dynamic and Red Seal. Plus a bunch of scans from the GAC website.

Misspoke a bit. The Lady Satan story first appears in Dynamic 3 and then the splash page of that story is used for the cover of Bullseye 11 with the story

109866.jpg.82f7988d5f1d9ca8af3dc57f35e73194.jpg

109868.jpg.58ef1596cd4e6c63fe59d7cd6541047c.jpg