• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,421 posts in this topic

Killer Bill Everett cover and art

Fixed that for you :shy:

Classics don't get a lot of love but I really enjoy the covers on these and this was a bargain pick up in the last Comic Link auction. Too nice to crack out of the slab to read. Bonus points as my son read Huck Finn this summer and he enjoyed the cover too commenting that he remembered that scene in the book. Sorry son, we used to read these instead of the books as kids!

128389.jpg.390a673fad08d618f519a44edd6e254e.jpg

Classics don't get a lot of love but I really enjoy the covers on these and this was a bargain pick up in the last Comic Link auction. Too nice to crack out of the slab to read. Bonus points as my son read Huck Finn this summer and he enjoyed the cover too commenting that he remembered that scene in the book. Sorry son, we used to read these instead of the books as kids!

128389.jpg

I'm not familiar with that cover artist, Mark Twain. Did he do any other covers?

128389.jpg

I'm not familiar with that cover artist, Mark Twain. Did he do any other covers?

His niche was "lightning in the ear out the mouth" covers

My first Action Comics :headbang:.

scan0017-1.jpg

I had been looking for this scarce book for awhile. I'm ecstatic to finally have it, with off-white pages to boot.

scan0014.jpg

Big thanks to the boardies that I got these from!

Edited by Eddy707

128389.jpg

His niche was "lightning in the ear out the mouth" covers

My son said the same thing when I showed it to him. Can't say that guy Twain didn't have a sense of humour!

Not a book but I really like Giolitti's work in early '50's Dell comics like Jungle Jim, Sgt. Preston, etc. and particularly in the Tonto series. So when a couple of pages showed up in last week's Heritage auction ... well, you know, one was delivered this morning and here's a panel from it (The scene takes place at night)

Not everyone might get excited about Tonto but I'm pleased as peach :banana:

Tonto10-GiolittiFightPanel.jpg

My first Action Comics :headbang:.

scan0017-1.jpg

I had been looking for this scarce book for awhile. I'm ecstatic to finally have it, with off-white pages to boot.

scan0014.jpg

Big thanks to the boardies that I got these from!

Those 1952 Phantom Strangers are real neat.....the # 1 cover has always grabbed me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

128389.jpg

i'm not aware of any others; he's clearly trying to copy sam clemens' style, tho'.

128389.jpg

i'm not aware of any others; he's clearly trying to copy sam clemens' style, tho'.

I believe they were both a part of the Mississippi River School of Artists who had fallen on hard times and then turned to Gilberton for work to sustain them in their later years.

Not a book but I really like Giolitti's work in early '50's Dell comics like Jungle Jim, Sgt. Preston, etc. and particularly in the Tonto series. So when a couple of pages showed up in last week's Heritage auction ... well, you know, one was delivered this morning and here's a panel from it (The scene takes place at night)

Not everyone might get excited about Tonto but I'm pleased as peach :banana:

Tonto10-GiolittiFightPanel.jpg

I read about Giolitti a few years back, a masterful draftsman indeed! Great purchase.